Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Throttle Body Gasket with Baffle / Wire Mesh

Throttle Body Gasket with Baffle / Wire Mesh 22 Dec 2018 01:06 #1

• Wes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi all, I know this isn't on all makes, but my 2009 camry (2.4L) has a wire-mesh screen, (image bleow). The wire-mesh is only on one side, and it's the side Opposite of where the butterfly valve opens. Supposedly, its purpose is to create an equal distribution of air to all four cylinders.

My question is, should the wire-mesh be cut out if your throttle-body is grooved? Once again, the mesh is NOT on the side of the butterfly valve that opens, so does it matter if it's left on? The engine seems operate and respond a lot smoother and quieter with it on, but it may be at the expense of mpg and/or power, I'm not sure yet. Right now it's off.

I was wondering if anyone has already tinkered in this area or has any comments about it. I'd love to know anything you can share.

Thanks!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Wes.

Throttle Body Gasket with Baffle / Wire Mesh 22 Dec 2018 18:14 #2

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
I have removed those many times, Wes. Now, I am in fact toying with yet ANOTHER way to make The Groove more effective.

I invite those of you who want to try something, if The Groove is on the bottom, to rig an obstruction across the TOP half of the intake between the throttle body and the intake manifold.

This SHOULD help increase the vacuum while not affecting a change in the delivery of the Wave-Form. It WILL help in those systems where the MAP is located just downstream of the throttle body...

Something to think about!
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macaire, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Wes

Throttle Body Gasket with Baffle / Wire Mesh 27 Dec 2018 02:46 #3

• Wes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
So, in the case of where this screen is located, would it be best to cut out the screen and strap a piece of duct tape over where the screen used to be?

By the way - do you know what in fact the baffle is for - according to the makers? I've read several different things, but the 2 most common reasons I've found are:

1. to equally distribute air into all four cylinders
2. the MAF is able to take more accurate readings since the air is less 'patchy'/dynamic due to the screen slowing the air down and allowing the air to fill out the space before proceeding through throttle-body

Also, I do not think my car has a MAP sensor. Or something by another name is used to perform the same function... is that ok?

Throttle Body Gasket with Baffle / Wire Mesh 28 Dec 2018 05:01 #4

• Wes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

Ron Hatton wrote:
I invite those of you who want to try something, if The Groove is on the bottom, to rig an obstruction across the TOP half of the intake between the throttle body and the intake manifold.

Something to think about!

Also, do you recommend anything specific to use as an obstruction that won't deter the seal/gasket between the TB and intake-manifold? By top half you just mean the side opposite of where the butterfly-valve opens up in the direction of the intake-manifold (grooved side)?

Throttle Body Gasket with Baffle / Wire Mesh 28 Dec 2018 21:33 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Wes. Yes Ron means something across the TB/intake flange on the side opposite the Groove. IF the Groove is at bottom of the TB, put something across the top. The throttle plate rotates upstream away from the intake man. on the side opposite the Groove.
One way to solve any gasket sealing issue is to use 2 gaskets. Put the obstruction in between 2 TB mounting gaskets. I think I'd get some thin metal, like aluminum flashing, for this. Easy to install/adjust/remove.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Throttle Body Gasket with Baffle / Wire Mesh 29 Dec 2018 16:31 #6

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Gentlemen, all!
What I have done in the past with this (don't worry about the mesh, Wes.) is to take a piece of heavy plastic or flashing and cut yourself a new gasket-style plate.

Here's a sample I cut for a recent 4.2 I worked on. I didn't make an obstruction because I was doing too many other things. The purpose of this one was with THIS throttle body, The Groove went in really close to completely cutting through and I needed to ensure the flow was correct.

In this case, I simply took the bottom out of an old plastic bucket. I first cut a rectangle large enough to cover it, and laid it on the bottom of the throttle body. Taking a hammer, I simply walked around the outside banging it solidly then did the same for the inside air passage. This created a clear mark which I could follow with a pair of heavy scissors. Then, using my Dremel, I cut out the inside.

Once the gasket shape was made, I just laid the throttle body on a 2x4 and used a drill of the proper size to drill out the bolt holes, and VOILA!

You can do the same thing, and leave as much inside as you like!

Have fun with THAT one, guys! (and GALS!)

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

• Page: