Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment.

Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment. 31 Dec 2018 10:01 #1

• Wes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Ron, I couldn't find a thread already discussing this, but I wanted to show you what I did:

I did not reset the ECU. Should I?

I took it for a 15-minute drive, the whistle does seem less frequent and not as loud (but it could just be the rainy weather - seems quieter in wet weather), but there's definitely noticeable hesitation during acceleration, which should be expected since air flow is obfuscated & ECU not reset?

I'm wondering if I should reset ECU before driving anymore like this and then give it a week before doing anything else?

Any recommendations? Thanks!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Wes.

Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment. 31 Dec 2018 14:07 #2

• Wes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
[2009 Toyota 2.4L Camry, 5 speed AT...370k miles]

So, I reset the ECU then got an rpm drop and a p0172 in the first mile which cleared...

Currently in the middle of a 60 mile drive, stopped @ a rest stop. There seems to be a bit of a power loss. If I push the throttle in more than 10% (relative tp per gauge) the engine%load (per gauge) is already maxed out at 100% meaning I have to work the throttle and do all accelerating in the 0-10% throttle position range because (I'm assuming) there's just not enough air available to fulfill the load request.

Once again this could just be the ECU relearning, but I've never had this much power loss after doing a mod.

As I experiment with the main-intake obfuscation, there are still other variables to consider:

- decrease amount of obfuscation (use less tape) or even poke a hole in the tape and observe results. Maybe there's a 'sweet-spot' - an exact amount of the air pathway to block and I have too much or too less

- change the side the tape is on

- remove the air baffle on the throttle body gasket that's still there - haven't taken it out yet - since it's helped low-end torque that goes away if it's removed...
...this is a screen shot I took of the TB gasket with baffle on amazon trying to find out its function in anyway I could:

- will continue on this trip as it is in the picture and make frequent stops to restart the engine more to see if anything helpful comes out of it

- after 5 more startups if there's no sign of improvement, I'll either try replacing TB gasket with just the O-ring (same gasket but another I have which I clipped out the baffle) or just replace the tape with half the amount on now

I'm not sure how helpful this is to anyone. I know we all have our own unique problems with our own unique cars and situations, but I'm happy for anyone who wants to chime in or offer suggestions.

Ron I'm still curious in your thinking as to how main-intake obfuscation can improve performance. Is the idea similar to partially blocking off the IAC? (my camry doesn't have an IAC - idle is done via ECU)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment. 10 Jan 2019 13:32 #3

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
The purpose of this exercise was limited, gentlemen! The SOLE purpose was to try a new approach to limit the Whistle!

Methinks you're going all crazy with the Cheez-Whiz! Keep it simple. Solve ONE problem, then move on...
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment. 11 Jan 2019 20:38 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Wes. Thanks for diggin' in and trying to figure this out. My first impression upon seeing the taped TB is- that's way too much obstruction. That much tape is destroying performance. I'd look to find out just how little tape can be used to reduce the whistle and not mess everything else up. At least you've provided an example of what too much tape looks like!:ohmy:

the trials and sacrifices we G-Men are willing to endure to advance the cause..!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment. 11 Jan 2019 23:14 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
What about further upstream of the TB, like after the MAF? Or maybe the inlet to the air box?
The engine needs air to run, but we’ve proven it does so at low throttle angles...what if we move the tape restriction closer to the far end of the intake? How would that end up working, I wonder? Opinions/speculation, friends?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wes

Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment. 14 Jan 2019 07:52 #6

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Thanks to all on this topic.

When you start thinking about fluid dynamics, to get a general idea of what mysteries there are yet to be discovered by the mainstream, look into what Viktor Schauburger accomplished.

There is much strangeness there, methinks!

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Wes, David Seaich

Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment. 02 May 2019 18:05 #7

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Personal License Holder
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 127
Hey Wes hows your car performing? I hope all is well and eager to hear good news!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wes

Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment. 29 Aug 2019 05:47 #8

• Wes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hey there, so all it needed was some light sanding on the rough edges (250 and 120 grit paper) and now it's very quiet, but it I do hear it, it sounds cool and happens during high-acceleration instead of a constant brake-squeal noise any time at low-throttle.

Thanks and I hope you're well too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Throttle Body Whistle - Partial Tape over TB experiment. 29 Aug 2019 05:48 #9

• Wes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Yeah, so I just realized the 'quick reply' doesn't work for me. I've actually responded to 5-6 posts in the last few days, or thought I did, but never can find them again even by searching.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Preston

• Page: