Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: newby here I have a 1994 plymouth acclaim

newby here I have a 1994 plymouth acclaim 13 Jun 2019 15:27 #1

• Kevin Rooney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 0
Where should I look to find out what I can do with this vehicle to increase my mileage. I did a search for the year and then I searched just for the make and model and didn't find anything

Please Log in to join the conversation.

newby here I have a 1994 plymouth acclaim 13 Jun 2019 21:46 #2

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Kevin, welcome to Gadgetman Land!

You need to share more information on your ride before we can tell you much, amigo. You see, the reason you didn't find much here is because 100's of thousands of the older gems disappeared with the "Cash for Clunkers" campaign a few years ago. That steel was sold to China for pennies, who are now selling it back to US for DOLLARS.

So, tell us more! And don't be shy about it, either. The more details you can provide, the more we can tell you that will help.

I will say this: I know a BUNCH of things that will give your old jalopy the life of a SPRING CHICKEN!

Browse the forums, read some of the posts. Get to know some of the guys and compliment them (Karma) and ask questions.

All of them are delighted to share what they have learned to help another person. ESPECIALLY a 'brother from another mother' like you.

Gadgetman Ron
406-422-3291
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

newby here I have a 1994 plymouth acclaim 13 Jun 2019 21:52 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Well, Kevin, you came to the right place. As Ron says, tell us more. What engine/trans, how many miles on it. Anything good or bad re: how it's running. You know, obviously, we will recommend you either have it Grooved, or become a Gadgetman, and learn to do it yourself!

But before that, spend time here reading and learning- there is a lot of good helpful info in here!

Oh, and, Welcome, Kevin!!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Rooney

newby here I have a 1994 plymouth acclaim 14 Jun 2019 05:13 #4

• Kevin Rooney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 0
Vehicle has 125,000 miles on it. Bought it from my neighbor she is the proverbial farmer's wife and just drove it to work and church local. The dipstick oil on it was so clean I thought it was shy of oil but it was not. It's a V6 3 l. fuel injection.

newby here I have a 1994 plymouth acclaim 14 Jun 2019 07:39 #5

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Kevin, sounds like you got yourself a HONEY of a ride!

If you could take some pics of the vehicle and put them here, that would be great. Especially of the engine compartment.

Now, the FIRST thing I would suggest is to clean the engine. INSIDE of the engine, of course! I have found quite regularly that a good internal cleaning will restore lost performance an mileage. For that, it's rather simple and easy to accomplish.

1) Spray about 1 minutes worth of a good carb cleaner into the oil (My preference is Berryman's B-12 Chemtool. Gumout is a good fallback, but it costs a little more and works a little less.) If you find Berryman's, get the "Injector Cleaner". It's a liquid. Add 1-2 ounces to the oil and dump the rest into the gas tank as you FILL UP.
2) Let the engine idle for about an hour. (This allows the engine to get fully warm, which vaporizes the portion of the cleaner that thins your oil and to be drawn through the intake system.)
3) Drive the vehicle normally for at least 30 hours or one week, whichever is longer. (the varnish has been building up in your engine for 25 years. A 10-minute flush is NOT going to get it clean.)

You should notice changes in the first few hours in operational characters.

But you need to make sure it's clean before you start working. Otherwise, you will be fighting against the deficiencies it causes at every step, so START THERE.

Then, check back in here and let us know how it's going!

But get those pictures here so we can admire your ride!

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

newby here I have a 1994 plymouth acclaim 14 Jun 2019 10:54 #6

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
My dad had one of these! (I had to look up a picture to make sure)
If memory serves, it evolved from the K-Car, and some of the Chrysler cars out there today have evolved from it.
I seem to recall it shared an engine with the Caravans of that era, so any gains made here should translate.

I think dad's was done in by the transmission; you might want to look into what some of the used car guides say about that, and possibly treat it and the engine with RVS before getting the groove on. Heck, a solid tune up before grooving never hurts!
talk about a blast from the past...now, if anyone shows up with a late 80s Pontiac 6000 that they want grooved I'll probably have a heart attack.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: