Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Groovy Throttle Body Installation

Groovy Throttle Body Installation 21 Oct 2019 04:27 #1

• Simon Burdett
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi all,

Well, I got the groovy throttle body and them Torque Master spark plugs installed.

Seems to be more power, exhaust is hotter and more of it, but no gas smell, and of course no gains in fuel economy.

Soooo, just wondering when I can expect gains in fuel economy, especially since I'm now driving "more aggressively", according to Ron.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Groovy Throttle Body Installation 21 Oct 2019 17:30 #2

• GregK
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
  • Thank you received: 421
Ah, good to hear from you, Simon. I was hoping you'd report back.

How long have you had the TB and plugs installed? the exhaust is a good sign - has it changed smell as well? what about the moisture content, does that seem increased?

now, to your question about mileage gains: you've undoubtedly heard the old saying "with great power comes great responsibility."
that means that just because you have access to it, doesn't mean you should use it. like nuclear weapons.

Your mileage gains will kick in when you take that perspective to your accelerator pedal, consistently and diligently. (staying out of turbo range would be a good start...you SHOULD find you may not need it as often as in the past) That said, if you've not seen even a slight improvement yet, there may be other issues that need resolving, or you may need to make other additions to the car to take advantage of what's now happening in your intake manifold and cylinders. I can't recall anyone reporting a grooved Volvo here before, so you might be a test case. It might be that a traction control computer is foiling gains...and I just had a thought: you didn't mention completing the drive cycle when you had the Throttle and plugs installed. Did you follow the directions Ron Included in your package? The computer(s) have to be given the chance to adjust, and you do have to point them in the right direction. (if this install happened while fuel refineries were changing their formulations from summer gas to winter gas, your machine is trying to sort out it's baseline while adjusting to a change in fuelling)

You may need to Add EFIE circuits to your oxygen sensors to help the computer along...and if you do that, provided it might prove necessary to do so, you'll also need to take a look at the MAP sensor (assuming you have one, which I'm assuming you do for fuel delivery/timing when the turbo kicks in) and how to modify that circuit. the Groove HAS changed the dynamics of the intake manifold, after all, so that sensor and how the computer sees the signal from it and its reaction to that signal may have a more profound effect than you may currently consider.

I truly hope that this doesn't seem too much bother to you, but while the groove is a miracle (my opinion and experience with it), the results don't always happen just by swapping in a few parts; so far you seem to have been a thoughtful, intelligent, purposeful man and I hope you decide we can work together to determine how to make your Volvo less thirsty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan

Groovy Throttle Body Installation 21 Oct 2019 21:23 #3

• Simon Burdett
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4
Had it just a day, and I have noticed an increase in power, and the exhaust is hotter, there does seem to be more moisture now you mention it, and there is no smell of gas; also my car appears to be using slightly more fuel as it adjusts, no doubt.

I will give it 30 days, and if there is no measurable fuel savings by then, I will purchase this:

tuning boxhttps://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/volvo-xc90-2-5t-209-ps-petrol

This should do the trick.

Last edit: by GregK.

Groovy Throttle Body Installation 21 Oct 2019 21:28 #4

• GregK
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
  • Thank you received: 421
If “this” was a link, it didn’t get posted. Help?

EDIT: ok, I got the link. from their website, if you click on the Economy tab: "Turbocharged petrol vehicles in most cases see very little economy improvement, but should not see any significant loss."
175 UK pounds for a box that may or may not help with your fuel economy is a sizable packet.

The Eagle Research EFIE (and I seem to recall that you'd need 2 on this vehicle) is $29 USD each plus shipping. For your car, the electronics would come in at under 100 UK pounds I think. and I can attest to the EFIE having a positive effect on fuel economy, Simon. I haven't crunched the numbers (or can't recall them as I type this), but I'd not be shocked at 20% over and above the groove and Torquemasters

Last edit: by GregK.

Groovy Throttle Body Installation 25 Oct 2019 00:49 #5

• Michael Lee
  • Business Coach
  • Business Coach
  • I'm a believer & leader through Jesus Christ, Husband & Father
  • Thank you received: 257
The BEFORE groove tailpipe whiff test!

Current mileage

The AFTER groove talipipe difference!

Michael Lee
Advanced Gadgetman
Honorable Father
Forum Administrator
Foreston, MN
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Preston

Last edit: by Michael Lee.
  • Page: