Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about anything here related to Groove installation and enhancements.
  • Page:

TOPIC: MPG/Combustion improvement

MPG/Combustion improvement 27 Dec 2018 12:20 #1

• Kenneth Smith
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 29
I am starting this topic for people to add to the discussion on tidbits and modifications to improve mpg or the combustion process. This is not to take away from the Groove but to add supplemental choices which could add even more to the MPG chase. My first item is to add a second PCV to an engine. This item can be added near a heat source to add extra heat in the intake. Use your imagination to the addition. Maybe it will help, maybe not. The information is showing on a carburetor system. I am sure there are members with carbs. See what you think. I have many items to share. I am adding an attachment to open. I hope I get this right.

Ken

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Christopher Holliman, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kenneth Smith. Reason: add link

MPG/Combustion improvement 30 Dec 2018 02:51 #2

• Christopher Holliman
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 0
When i pulled the last 2 pages up my IPad Pro the writing is not clear at all, especially the last page.

MPG/Combustion improvement 03 Jan 2019 09:42 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Yessir, there are still cars on the roads and trails with carbs in them.
warm air - this has the potential to open a debate that I'm sure will be heated! (TracyG isn't the only one around here who can be funny...)
Moving Forward, if you've found an interesting patent, why not post a link to the webpage so we can all go to it? It'll take some load off the Groove's webserver...
warm vs cool intake air, preheat vs cool fuel prior to the induction stroke, fuel supplementation with HHO or water vapour, EFIEs and MAP modification, timing, fuel reformation with additives...these are all topics I'd love to see what everyone's opinions and implementations are.

maybe I'll follow Kenneth's lead with my own proposed discussion:
I added a BMW cyclone seperator with catch can to my PCV mod. After a VERY short time (maybe 600 miles), the catch can was full (it started leaking out the top seal) of goopy water that smelled of fuel. I emptied it and drove on. another 600 miles later, it was full again, but this time with water that smelled of fuel - no oily goop. If my blowby is mostly water vapour, I'm guessing that the engine is running rather close to peak efficiency. rather than collecting and dumping that water, wouldn't it be better to recycle that back into the intake airstream with a water injection system, especially since there are some fuel distillates in it (from the smell)? WW2 bomber engines used water injection to make scarce aviation fuel stretch farther, as well as to enhance engine performance, so wouldn't the same hold true in a car engine of advanced design, as in today's cars?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan

Spark Plug Modification 15 May 2019 19:58 #4

• Kenneth Smith
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hey guys. Here is a patent on a spark plug modification I did on a car several years back. It is time consuming to do, but it had good results on the car I did. The effort was successful. On a four cylinder usually 20-22 mpg, I approached almost 30. Meaning 29+. I am not real sure about these late model cars in the last 10 years that this mod would apply. But, if you have a vehicle with the older more standard plugs, give it a try. The premise here is to bore a 1/16th inch hole in the ground post of the spark plug. When the plug fires, the spark will also spark past the ground post through the hole. Labor intensive but was successful on the car I did it on. That was a PT Cruiser. They were not rated at 30mpg.
Add this one to another way to raise mpg results.
When you open the link, Find the box Download PDF. You will be able to print and save a hard copy.
Ken https: // patents.google.com/patent/US5610470A/en?oq=5610470

PS Go to google. In search box, type google/patents. When open, type 5610470. Open the link to the spark plug patent. I still dont know how to post links to articles in this posting forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, Johnathan, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Preston

Last edit: by Kenneth Smith.

MPG/Combustion improvement 16 May 2019 11:32 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
that's interesting - using the spark discharge/event to create resonances in the cylinder. I suppose that would help break up the longer hydrocarbon chains of gasoline that don't ignite as soon/readily and lead to more complete combustion if not a power boost.
I can't imagine why it wouldn't work on any engine, even today's modern ones.
and you say you got a 25% or greater gain from this?
it wouldn't have to go FAR, but wide would help I'm sure - did you try flaring the outside of the hole to better spread the waveform of the transient/energy, like the horn of a brass instrument? (they couple the vibration better to the air mass in front of it)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kenneth Smith, Michael Lee

MPG/Combustion improvement 16 May 2019 19:35 #6

• Kenneth Smith
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I did not think to try that. Drilling the plugs with a 1/16th inch bit was tough. We took the car from Texas to Florida and back. MPG almost made it to 30 on hiway. The Cruiser was registered as a truck not required to meet same emissions and mileage as the cars. Sticker mpg was 24 hiway. I was pleased with the results.
ken
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

MPG/Combustion improvement 17 May 2019 00:33 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
It’s fine and delicate work.
It could probably be done with a diamond-tipped Dremel attachment, like a ball cutter, after drilling the hole.
Did you straighten the strap out before drilling, or did you try to do it in place? It could be re-bent after drilling if you had straightened it - you’d have to either way, to (re)set the gap.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG/Combustion improvement 17 May 2019 07:23 #8

• Kenneth Smith
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Drilled it in place. The hole has to be exactly over the plug + tip. Actually, the drill meets the + tip to bevel the tip. Idea is to shoot the flame around and through the hole to get more ignition of fuel charge. Newer than early 2000 model cars use a plug that is redesigned and is open faced. Industry wide newer cars all get a plug that looks different but has same effect to get that improved ignition. This mod really identifies with older standard type plugs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Kenneth Smith.

MPG/Combustion improvement 23 May 2019 14:26 #9

• Grant Goldade
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 12
Sonic Spark LLC sells a plug with this basic technology. When Mike Holler and I worked on various plasma fuel system and hydrogen boosting he tested and got positive results. We included it in our manual for the HAFT/Hydo Assist Fuel Cell, as an added bonus for those that wanted to push the limits on mileage/power. Somewhere I had found another patent where the plug is drilled at an angle on the flat portion of the threads faced into the chamber, down into the 'pocket' surrounding the insulator. Ill see if I can find my old data. Once HAFC installation class I worked with a mechanic that drilled some plugs with this mod. Improvement was minimal but might be worth looking into.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee

Last edit: by Grant Goldade.

MPG/Combustion improvement 23 May 2019 14:57 #10

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
It seems to me that these “extra mile” mods are quite a bit more difficult than our groove, with much less impressive results. That said, anyone who attempts them deserves kudos for going to those extremes for that little bit extra performance/mileage.

(kinda neat that they implemented my horn flare idea...)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK.

MPG/Combustion improvement 29 May 2019 11:53 #11

• The Greek
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
plugz for thought, diy, can be available, Wes on this forum runs 'em

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

MPG/Combustion improvement 03 Apr 2020 21:41 #12

• Filipp
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 0
Kenneth,
I've been "gapping" the plugs the way Ron recommended on all of my vehicles and 2-stroke engines with success.
In your system, would it defeat the results if the I exaggerate the gap in addition to drilling the hole?

• Page: