Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about anything here related to Groove installation and enhancements.

TOPIC: Taking a groovy car to the next level

Taking a groovy car to the next level 09 Feb 2021 22:34 #1

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
What does everyone think about this:
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Taking a groovy car to the next level 09 Feb 2021 22:37 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
There's more:
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Taking a groovy car to the next level 09 Feb 2021 22:40 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Ron commented on one of these videos, and I chimed in on a couple. I'd like to See Nathan join our convo, if not our community
Let's all swap ideas and knowledge and make the world a better place

Nathan - if you get notified of people using your videos elsewhere and find your way here, please comment
a vaporizer like this, the groove and associated mods, snake oil. maybe a plasma ignition setup ...can we get this car (or any car) to 200+mpg range?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Last edit: by GregK.

Taking a groovy car to the next level 09 Feb 2021 22:58 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Just to show it can be done on a fuel injected car with an ecu, I drive the same vehicle as Tyson Capel (FSRD on YouTube) from this website:
Run Your Car On Vapors – ** Fuel Efficient Vehicles **

I suspect we may be making it more difficult on ourselves than we need. A modern car already has an EVAP system - we just have to find a way to take control of it over the computer, and make it work continuously rather than intermittently. The EVAP system purges the charcoal canister when the pressure gets to a certain point - surely someone knows how to keep it there so that the vent valve opens to draw air into the fuel system and carry fuel vapour to the intake through the purge solenoid/valve...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Taking a groovy car to the next level 11 Feb 2021 00:07 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
This chap Nathan took the "direct" approach on this vapor experiment. I didn't go to the end of his video, but he sounds Australian or maybe a New Zealander.I've noticed the folks Down Under really seem to have good old fashioned Yankee Ingenuity.:huh: Likely 'cause their immigrant ancestors had to basically start things from scratch when they arrived.

That's a real King Size vaporizer tank 'Ol Nathan has there! Even if the US DOT likely would take a dim view of it's installed location.

"Hey, it's Dual Function. maybe Triple Function! See- it's a Fuel Vaporizer Canister, it's a bumper, AND- it's the world's first Explosive Reactive Bumper! the thing works kinda like the Reactive Armor on modern Main Battle Tanks. ya See, If you hit something hard, or something hits IT hard, well, it just goes off kinda like a huge air bag, with Pyrotechnic Effects, and flyin' Metal, and Stuff! Yes, Right, it's to improve Fuel Economy, and Safety, too!!"

Nathan, if you read my comment here, I mean No Offense! You have the right idea for sure. Actually with it being so big and real visible, it does a good job of illustrating the concept. It's also like an oversized version of George Wiseman's Hyco2A system. But with heat added in. Real ingenuity, and it gets the award for Built with Stuff out in the Shed too! I like it, even if the Gubmint foks wouldn't!!

Tracy G.
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Taking a groovy car to the next level 11 Feb 2021 11:06 #6

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Yes, Nathan is from the Land of Oz, and he seems to be looking for the yellow brick road to become the wizard of...I'm going to invite him to participate here; maybe that will help him (and the rest of us) along.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Taking a groovy car to the next level 24 Feb 2021 10:06 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I've found (well, the YouTube algo brought it to my feed) another waste heat recycling video.
This one is for people who have considered exhaust heat, and it has me wondering why car manufacturers don't include this on all gasoline engines, so that cars warm to closed loop faster for better emissions on cold start?

Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Taking a groovy car to the next level 24 Feb 2021 10:30 #8

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Further to the last post, consider this: if you use exhaust heat to speed the engine coolant's rise in temperature for efficiency, why not take it a step further? you could also use the coolant to warm the fuel line headed for the rail, to aid in fuel vapourization at the point of injection. I like this design (over wrapping fuel line around the heat source) because the heat envelops the fuel, which makes me think it would be a better heat exchange:

Further, depending on placement in the cooling system loop, the cold fuel may help mitigate the heat addition from exhaust, leading to less strain on the fans of the cooling system - aren't most fans electric these days? so, less electrical load on the engine too, possibly.

I'd wager that these two additions to an Internal combustion engine would reduce fuel consumption and emissions rather significantly, and offset the cost of implementation rather quickly.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Taking a groovy car to the next level 24 Feb 2021 10:40 #9

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
OH! another thought - this would all be concealed between the engine and firewall on my car, so gubmint inspectors (if you're subject to annual inspections for roadworthiness or emissions) should be none the wiser to your modifications.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Taking a groovy car to the next level 25 Feb 2021 23:36 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Well, Greg, if you fabricated a heat exchanger like this, or had someone else make it, or can just find and buy one...

just paint it black, then maybe put a little underhood grunge on it so it looks like it belongs back there, like it's always been there...use factory type GM hose clamps on the coolant hoses too.

To quote Obi-Ron Kenobi: "This isn't the illegal device you're looking for!" along with that Jedi finger-roll hand wave...!

TracyG
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Taking a groovy car to the next level 26 Feb 2021 09:06 #11

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Cringe! Illegal and not legal are not the same things - I'm wedging into a grey area here, I'd wager:
it may not be what they're accustomed to seeing, but if it lowers tailpipe emissions, how can it be illegal?? (Let the lawyers and politicos sort it out amongst themselves)

Watch how these types of things become more commonplace and permitted now that EVs are making significant inroads into transportation/driving, just to keep Big Oil in the picture and getting a trickle of income. We're ahead of the curve here, those of us choosing to be practitioners of Groovy Technologies and techniques...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Taking a groovy car to the next level 06 Mar 2021 13:54 #12

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
The more I think about this and research it, the more I think we Groovesters can benefit.
There are 2 places on a ICE-equipped vehicle where using heat exchangers make brilliant sense:
1- using exhaust heat to help warm the coolant system faster from cold start to closed loop fuel delivery, and
2- using the heat from the coolant system to pre-warm fuel before injectors/carbs

There are quite a few videos on youtube where people wrap a copper coil inserted in their fuel line around a copper pipe spliced into the upper rad hose (this seems inefficient to me), and in the comments, people suggest installing that coil on the exhaust system. (putting a supply of fuel in close proximity to that sort of heat source always seemed dangerous to me).

as we burn less fuel, we'll get a reduction of waste heat in the exhaust, so putting that into the cooling system of the engine shouldn't be putting that much extra strain on it - plus, we'd have to increase the volume of it anyway to account for the water jacket around the exhaust pipe.
to make it easier to burn less fuel, a water to fuel heat exchanger on the fuel supply line to the fuel rail would put that extra heat into the cooling mass of the fuel, making the fuel that much easier to vapourize under vacuum (either in the cylinder or in the intake port. Remember - injectors only atomize fuel like a spritz of perfume/cologne - it's engine vacuum that makes the fuel vapour that burns). And again, more coolant is needed to account for the water jacket around the fuel line - more coolant in the system should moderate the heat load once again.

What do you good people think - does this make sense to you as well?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile