Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: anyone know of a good picture editing program

anyone know of a good picture editing program 19 Feb 2012 00:52 #1

• Drew4ster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just thought I would check and see if anyone knew of a good picture editing program to do some simple edits of the pictures I take of my grooving projects. Nothing fancy...just want to be able to make some arrows and type some text? Thanks to anyone with suggestions.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: anyone know of a good picture editing program 19 Feb 2012 01:09 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Microsoft Paint... works for me.

Or you can use Microsoft Powerpoint
Insert the picture apply all your arrows and text, then save it as a jpg file.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Re: anyone know of a good picture editing program 19 Feb 2012 05:04 #3

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Thanks Karl!

I wondered how you did all that fancy stuff with drawings and pictures. I'll have to look into Microsoft paint!

Scott Castleberg
Pellston, MI
Gadgetman Michigan

Hey guys - just found a Free, yes, Free download -

Apparently this is highly rated photo editing/painting software competing with Adobe Paint. Check it out.
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Last edit: by Scott Castleberg. Reason: additional information

Re: anyone know of a good picture editing program 19 Feb 2012 07:29 #4

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Microsoft Paint comes with Windows.

I would be cautious about downloading from some of those "free" sites unless your AV software is top notch.

Karl

Re: anyone know of a good picture editing program 20 Feb 2012 20:02 #5

• Drew4ster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the comments...here are my thoughts on it.

Microsoft Paint:
I was aware of paint and its is nice for some simple edits, However, it doesnt have the arrows that you can add in easily, and when you try to add txt it makes a white box, thus covering up the picture. You also can't enlarge your txt very easily or change the color, etc. Not to say that it doesnt have those things...i just couldn't find it

Gimp:
An AWESOME, FREE photo editing program. As was mentioned you do have to be careful of where you download it from, but only because there are counterfeits. Gimp itself is a genuine, advanced, picture editing program. Unfortanetly, it seems to be too advanced. It does NOT have a simple tool(at least I havent found any) that will allow you to insert arrows and such.

Microsoft Powerpoint:
My top pick for a quick picture edit. Thanks Karl for pointing me onto this. I didn't realize you could export as a jpg in Powerpoint. It was the quickest one for me. I was able to insert arrows, and change their color. Txt went on top of the Picture and didn't insert a complete white box. I could change the font size and the color. Simple, quick and had the features I was looking for. Thanks!

Once again I could have missed some features in the other programs. But I found Microsoft Powerpoint to do the trick for me.

Re: anyone know of a good picture editing program 20 Feb 2012 20:12 #6

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
THe version of Microsoft paint that I am using is in the Windows 7 OS. There are a few things that seem to be missing from the older version but does have the added feature of the different shapes you can insert.

In the Windows 7 version, when you are entering text there is an option to the right of the font options for setting the background to opaque or transparent. That might help there if you want to give it another shot.

Powerpoint is much more flexible with the "objects", everything is in "layers" so you can push something back or pull another object forward to get the layers right.

Karl

Re: anyone know of a good picture editing program 20 Feb 2012 21:01 #7

• Drew4ster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That makes sense on the Paint features since I'm using OS-XP and Vista. It does have that opaque or transparent option though so thanks for telling me about that.

• Page: