Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oil-Air Separator_for cleaner intake

Oil-Air Separator_for cleaner intake 30 May 2013 14:18 #1

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
I got a really good deal on scrap aluminum so I went ahead and made a heavy-duty 'Oil Catch-Can'.
The initial idea was to design it to be taken apart for cleaning but, after the welding the end caps, the two halves warped and locked together.

The rod coming up through the top center was intended to be a threaded rod which a wing nut would hold the two halves of the can together. (Lesson learned, do all welding first, then machine mating parts to desired tolerances!) Inside is a copper scruff pad to help filter/condensate out the oil & moisture from the air.

So now it's a single piece which I figure I'll clean out by tipping the can upside-down and blowing on the 'Input' barb, allowing the gunk to exit out at the 'Output' barb.

The can is located right in between the engines' valve cover and the upper radiator hose.
I'm thinking of possibly wrapping a length of smaller coolant line(the one that connects into the throttlebody) in order further pre-heat the air in the can.

Maybe even the fuel line as well ?

The only thing preventing me from proceeding in such, is my fear of messing up the fuel and/or the coolant pressure. Anyone have insights on this ???

Thanks for the inspiration TracyG!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Oil-Air Separator_for cleaner intake 30 May 2013 15:14 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
GOOD Job, JV! :woohoo:

I don't see a banefit from heating the can, in fact I would avoid that. You want oil/ water liquid/vapor to condense in there and collect as liquid to be emptied as needed. If there's room and you wanted, you could drill/tap a hole offset in bottom to install a radiator drain cock as a drain. Just could be easier to service. But gotta remember the whole deal needs to be air/vacuum tight.

It isnt exposed to manifold vacuum, no worries there. If you can just suck on one nipple and it holds it's OK, or test w/ Mityvac if wanted to. Need to keep outside dirt/water from getting ingested in cleaned airflow going out.

Good job on design, the worn aluminum finish almost camo's in with rest of engine!

I'm not a welder, so I couldn't fabricate like you! I'm just a guy w/ store-bought tools and some Imagination...

Copper scrub pad inside is great idea that helps trap/condense vapor so it can fall off into bottom reservoir. Judging from it's size you ought not to have to empty it very often, I think. Next one you make you can incorporate lessons from this one! ;)

Good on You, Buddy!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Oil-Air Separator_for cleaner intake 30 May 2013 15:30 #3

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
Ah, I see. Yes it makes sense to keep it cool to help it condensate. My mind was stuck keeping the intake air hotter so the IAT sensor would report back to the ECU to use less fuel. I suppose I should use the 'IAT resistor mod' to accomplish that?

I had a professional do the turning & welding. Not something I'm confident enough at doing.
The device is indeed air tight. I put it to the test via blowing & sucking.

Lol, yea it's not pretty looking but, functional.

• Page: