Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Plasma Ignition on Waste Spark Ignition?

Plasma Ignition on Waste Spark Ignition? 06 Apr 2021 20:13 #13

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Greg, THANK YOU for posting this for us again!!! I've been thinking about this topic for awhile, but as you know, I've bee real busy...
A few thoughts nuts/bolts related. Notice that he's using non resistor wires and spark plug. This reminds me of Murakami's build requirement for his Plasma spark method. Far as I know today, for the wires, it's either these Accel Super Stock copper core wires that can be had as cut to fit. Or it's the Granetelli's like you have. I'm thinking,for existing wires like yours, you can wrap each with the aluminum tape. (probably spry/wipe down w/ brake cleaner first). There's obviously some current present in/on the tape when running, so some fuel line hose could be the outer insulation jacket to go over each wrapped wire.
That means, remove/reinstall the boot at one end, hopefully not need to mess with the terminal, to slip the fuel hose or similar over the wrap. To remove spark plug wire boots, use straight silicone spray in the boot. Wet it down in the boot w/ silicone spray lube, then gently twist the boot and wire to break the bond that will have formed. It often helps, to insert a skinny thin pocket screwdriver blade, or a thin icepick, etc. up in between the boot and wire outer jacket, just to get the silicone spray in there to loosen things up. Silicone grease eases reinstalling the boots on the wire over the terminal. At or near the spark plug end of the wire, you lay in a short section of stripped back regular wire and wrap the tape over the copper strands for connectivity. The wire will then be connected to ground somewhere as close to the plug as can be. Or, maybe a common ground point can work for each bank of plugs, but he did say and show the best ground connection was right on the plug body, I don't know how to do that.
But this does look good, it's cheap and simple, and will boost the spark, IF you are using the non resistor plugs and wires.
BTW, I Gave Plus 3 Karma for bringing this back in view, this stuff is priceless!!
Thanks, Greg!!
Tracy G.
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: typo

Plasma Ignition on Waste Spark Ignition? 06 Apr 2021 20:48 #14

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
only 3 karma? I've got a v6...there will be misfires :lol:
I was considering how to shield (insulate, actually) the foil wrap - the wrapped wires would be in contact with my aluminum manifold if I don't, but I'm thinking clear silicon tubing.
I appreciate the cleaning suggestion - the outer jackets of my Green Granatellis are looking a little dirty.

the ground wire - if you look carefully at a spark plug, there is a nice groove around the circumference of each plug below the hex head we use to tighten them into the heads. I'm thinking of using 12AWG twin lead landscaping wire - split the two conductors enough to have enough to strip, twist together the stripped ends and hook it over the plug. then replace the wrapped plug wire...follow?
see the pic below
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: Added photo

Plasma Ignition on Waste Spark Ignition? 13 Apr 2021 20:35 #15

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
So the weather cooperated with me to be able to go outside (you folks who have garages to park/work in...I envy you) on my lunch hour to test out my idea from the previous post.
in the pic, I've stripped an inch from the ends of the conductors - I mistakenly thought that would be enough to get around the hex nut of the spark plug. I stripped back another half inch, and even that wasn't enough. I've stripped back to 2" and re-twisted the ends together, and believe that this may just do the trick...but the sun has set.
I was surprised at just how tight a fit it will be, so if you're going to attempt your own installation of this method, I encourage you to test things out in advance.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: