Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Easy and cheap way to read ECU sensors and codes

Easy and cheap way to read ECU sensors and codes 29 Jun 2013 12:31 #1

• aurelbatrinu2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi everybody,

I was looking for a way to monitories the sensors of the car engines in order to see if any changes are coming after the groove was done. Also I was interested to find a tool to make me able to read and reset any codes coming from ECU.
The cheapest way I find is to put together an ECU reading adapter named ELM 327, with Bluetooth connection, plus an application called Torque which I found on Google Play, plus a Samsung galaxy tabet working on Android OS (which I already owned). Instead of the tablet it can be used any other device running on Android OS.
This set up was working very well from the firs time. The Torque application is quite good as an interface between ECU and the tablet. It reads all the car sensors, it can calculate power of the engine, torque, time to 60 MPH etc. the most important parameters I was looking for are Boost-Vacuum , Mass Air Flow and Pressure in Air Manifold. All of them can be read in real time using this set up.
Here are some snapshots :

The Torque software has also already defined different sensors set ups for some manufactures like GM/ Opel or Toyota. Loading this profiles, by choosing the type of the car you are working on, is bringing on the display all the sensors that the specific model of the car is provided with.
Because this software is very popular as I see, some other manufactures are already putting on the net they’re own additional Torque OBD file which can be added to the Torque application. I already imported such a file from Hyundai, because a will work on a Hyundai I30 very soon.

On Amazon the price of an ELM 327 Bluetooth is around 15 $. Torque application for Android costs no more than 5 $. If you already have an Android device like a smart phone or a tablet then is really easy to make this:

I am sure that many of you already know about the information I shared, but I was so pleased about the whole thing that I had to tell to you also. For more information you can access Google Play/ Torque or youYube .

My intentions are to see if there are any changes on the Mass Air flow or the Boost-Vacuum after the groove is done. Also the increase of the engine torque would be very interesting to me noticed and presented to different costumers as a result of grooving.

All the Best, Aurel!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Easy and cheap way to read ECU sensors and codes 29 Jun 2013 18:56 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
thanks for sharing that Aurel!

Though I'm an ignorant schlock re: Androids, app's bluetooth etc. I 'm sure others here are savvy. I'm a real dinosaur regarding the most modern electronic personal devices. Perhaps others w/ knowledge might describe how-to of this so slowbies like me could understand and better comprehend how to use a lashup like this. I'm investigating something different that may involve use of smartphones etc. but will stay silent till there's something besides my enthusiasm to speak of...

I've talked of PCV/Breather setups to no end, I look forward to something more interesting, though the PCV stuff IS important IMHO.
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: