Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ethanol Free Gasoline...it's available!

Ethanol Free Gasoline...it's available! 28 Apr 2015 10:19 #13

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Yes, absolutely agreed on the less additives!

As I'm starting to see it, water vapor spreads the gasoline out evenly in the cylinder prior to compression and spark, and the groove's turbulence/waveform enhances that evenness of the air/fuel mixture. We need the reaction (bang!) to happen as quickly, completely, instantaneously and violently as possible. That's the power side of the equation. Efficiency is realized when that happens at the correct time for each cylinder and the engine's ECU reads that in the output stream (o2 sensors): "woah, lookee, it's all timed right and I'm putting too much fuel in for the power required..."

...and we've meandered off-topic again. ha!

Another thought is that oil and water don't mix, and water vapor in the intake air stream forms a water jacket of sorts to keep oil clean, but that's off in another direction...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Ethanol Free Gasoline...it's available! 15 Jul 2015 13:33 #14

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
This just popped up on my YouTube feed and it made me laugh, but it also does the math:

Totally Canadian content, but the basics apply anywhere!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Ethanol Free Gasoline...it's available! 13 Aug 2015 23:16 #15

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I have another comment on gasoline, specifically Octane grade. About a month ago I tried using half mid-grade and half Premium, just to see. Added my usual dose of MPG Remedy and Lucas fuel treat. Noticed better power. So on my current tank- it's straight Premium along w/ MPG R and Lucas. More power again- but I've had a drop in economy. Now- this is a bit skewed by the fact that the Weber carb developed a leak in the accel. pump diaphragm, to the point where it had a slow external drip. I fixed that last week, no more gas drip, I can't tell how much this effected the fuel economy, though it certainly did some.

I do nearly all in-town driving a mix of short freeway hops and streets. Haven't been out of town in months. I do like the added power, this Subie never had any excess of that! :silly: as I've said here before, the Groove, Weber carb, Plasma ignition, and other things, really did help get this car out of it's own way, and it's nice to have an extra margin of safety on freeway onranp merges during rush hour!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Ethanol Free Gasoline...it's available! 14 Aug 2015 06:53 #16

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Hmmm...leaky carb aside, does your exhaust smell the same?
Are you going by the fuel gauge or actual mileage calculations? Could it be your right foot has been enjoying the added power too much?
Maybe you've discovered the sweet spot for your car and overshot? Maybe your plugs/timing/ idle could be revisited with this new fuel? Try just premium fuel, no remedy or Lucas?
This is all I can think of at the moment... :huh:
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Ethanol Free Gasoline...it's available! 14 Aug 2015 12:40 #17

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Greg, your insight is very good.

MPG-judging by the gas gauge and the trip odometer. And I think my foot has enjoyed the added power. To extract the MPG potential of this power would require diligent technique, more than I have used, in in-town driving. That's easier to do in light traffic, plus I have used that power several times, cause I could! :evil: Added power has allowed me to be more assertive in traffic situations, I usually need to drive rather "passively" to match the car's power carachteristics. Exhaust smell- well Subie burns some oil, it was a low-buck rebuild 10 yrs ago, new pistons/rings/bearings, but only valve guide seals, no valve job. the machinist checked valve seal then, said it was "OK" at the time. Should have done valves and valve guides, but $$ was tight. And the cat. converters need replacement--it has 2 of 'em--and due to gubmint reg's the muffler shop folks insist on using exact replacement cats, over $500.00 for both. So Subie has stinky exhaust!! :(

My next fillup will be gas only just to see how it does. This "test" makes me think- Iv'e read people's comments saying that they get better MPG's w/ reg. gas. It could be that reduced power output encourages frugal driving technique. Notice how musclecar and hotrod guys never seem to brag about mileage- they are always using that power...?? The problem with Power is USING IT!! to have more power and not use it, requires discipline. To turn from the thrill, ego boost, power lust, etc. And drive as a saintly Monk :huh: "To go placidly among the noise and haste of the world". OR as Teddy Roosevelt once said- "Walk softly and Carry a big Stick" (and avoid USING that Stick!)

I think I'll try adjusting the dist. initial advance, maybe back it off 2 degrees, it does start a bit hard.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Ethanol Free Gasoline...it's available! 14 Aug 2015 13:36 #18

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
The Ordained Dudeist Priest in me (yup, it's true, I am) wants to tell you it's perfectly alright to have that opinion, that I'm insightful. Who am I to judge if it's right or not, after all? :whistle:

All I know is that I get better fuel economy in any car or truck I drive - grooved or not - when I'm light on the gas and find a speed so that I don't have to use the brakes too much or hard; so like you said, tread lightly on the gas pedal: with great power comes great responsibility. And mindfulness of the laws of physics doesn't hurt either, especially in regards to the conservation of momentum and overcoming of inertia. Some non-remedied 87 Octane might cure your leadfoot.

I'm sorry you're having issues with your Subaru. I feel your pain: My truck's not doing too well either.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Ethanol Free Gasoline...it's available! 14 Aug 2015 13:58 #19

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yes it's all true. Perhaps in the great Scheme of Things, it's fortunate we are just playing w/ our rides, not something that floats or flies. And thankfully we aren't a collection of crazy Nuclear engineers who think it's fun to mod running Nuke reactors...

"Hey Clem, didja check yer work after ya Grooved that thar Primary Loop steam pipe? Thought I saw a 'lil steam leak in that elbow fitting ya Grooved...?" :blink: :ohmy: Naw, heck, I don't wear the Rad suit when I Groove Primary Loop fittings either, the hood makes it too hard ta git a pull off mah Jack Daniels bottle!"

Let me fly the Plane, I'll get us there! :cheer: ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Ethanol Free Gasoline...it's available! 12 Sep 2015 22:07 #20

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
On a rational level, I've used un-treated gas the last 2 tanks, Regular last time Mid grade now. I subjectively think it's a good idea to give the fuel system a break from additives from time to time. Now I notice the exhaust smells better, and a bit paradoxically the economy seems a bit better too. No calculations, just watching the gas gauge and trip odo. I think I'll stay away from Premium gas, maybe only if I know I have to drive the Subie harder than usual, like going to California over Donner Summit.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: