Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: TPMS light is as bad as a CEL

TPMS light is as bad as a CEL 12 Oct 2015 09:38 #1

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I've recently discovered that cars with Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) affect the fuel map ECUs use in fuel delivery.
If you get that warning light on your instrument cluster, until it's been reset, your vehicle is in "limp home" mode, just like a Check Engine Light. So keep those tires filled!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TPMS light is as bad as a CEL 12 Oct 2015 20:50 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Again, Thanks Dr Dude!! :cheer: ;)

Thats good to know, I never knew that. I wonder what sensitivity range these TPMS systems have, like how low the tires have to get to trigger this light? As well- how about inflating higher than "spec"? It would be annoying to set the light off if tires were, say, 4 or 6 lbs higher pressure than spec. Going further- what if a different set of tires is fitted with a different pressure range or spec? Like I found out a while back, when I got new tires for the Subie, I'd had several sets on both it and a previous daily driver, and all were rated for 44 lbs max pressure. The latest set is rated at 51 lbs. I keep 'em at 55 psi cold.

see where I'm going here? But in any case, this is good info, thanks to Dr. Dude! :)

Tracy G
Gadgetman Reno Nevada
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

TPMS light is as bad as a CEL 12 Oct 2015 22:13 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Well, I can tell you that on the vehicle in question, the light gets triggered when the pressure dropped 8psi from where I had the tires set. That's about 15%.
As far as tolerance, I'd venture a guess that +/- 15% is in the safe range before the system gets triggered.
Now...I would also guess that anytime the system is reset after being triggered is the baseline the system uses.
Just guessing, but a 30% range around the tire ratings seems fair, allowing for weight and heat and barometric factors.
I'm sure if somebody dug into the interweb researching this they will get a bunch of answers in the neighbourhood of what I've just surmised.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: