Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.

TOPIC: Get Grooved by mail

Get Grooved by mail 30 Jun 2016 12:30 #13

• bRry Augustine
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
Yeah sound dude cool name
Ive been here for years
I just recently got my carb over hauled at a carb shop out here in la
Not so happy
Can you suggest a foreign shop carburetor anywhere in 50 states

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Get Grooved by mail 30 Jun 2016 13:04 #14

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Well you guys have pretty much outlined the current situation. I was in email contact w/ Ron over 2 months ago, and then he vanished. Not a good sign, I really hope he is OK. Ron has been a candle in a dark world.

Without real Gadgetman bits, you cannot cut the real Groove. People have tried to fake these unusual tools, with varying results. Until the bit situation is fixed, one could use all the "side tricks", as Dr Dude described. As far as fuel economy goes, it begins with vehicle condition/maintenance. Then mods can be added. In the end, it is then how it is operated.

An imperfect analogy to illustrate driving technique: Imagine if food tasted better according to how one eats it. As in the best tasting steak is when you are healthy, well-dressed, using proper manners, eating at a well-set table, having stimulating friendly conversation with folks you like.

Compare that mental image with a starving injured sick Caveman hurriedly trying to rip a chunk of burnt flesh off the carcass of a dead animal killed trying to flee the lava flow from the nearby rumbling volcano... :unsure: Who would you rather have dinner with? :lol:

Hang in there everyone. Real results come from thinking and learning. IF you want the famous Gadgetman Groove applied to your gasoline engine, I'm available to Groove by Mail.

Maybe if Mr Caveman had a properly tied necktie and pressed slacks... :pinch: :pinch: :whistle: :ohmy:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Get Grooved by mail 30 Jun 2016 13:18 #15

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Barry, would it be possible to do a Weber carb swap on your Toyota? I dunno if the Smog laws in LA would allow that. But the Weber 32/36 DGEV swap that replaced the computer feedback Hitachi on my 85 Subaru made a world of difference. And the Weber is Groove-able. Carb shops esp. good ones, are getting rare nowadays. But it depends on if the Smog Laws in LA would allow it. I'm sure there are Weber kits available online for your 'Yota. You need to know what you are doing with a swap like this, it gets involved.

To DIY this I'd expect to spend $500.00 or so, there always seems to be extra details to deal with.

Can you describe the problems it's having?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Get Grooved by mail 01 Jul 2016 00:12 #16

• Jack
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow. That is just excellent man.

I have made my own engine oil without using any petroleum by products and it runs great and it so safe to dispose off too.

Apart from that, that are some other cool stuff that can improve mileage on petrol or diesel vehicles.

Try this, for every 1 litre of Fuel, add 2ml of 2T oil, got to be precise on this calculation.

The 2T Oil is there to lubricate the upper cylinders thus improving mileage and response.

Been doing this for YEARS now..

Last edit: by Jack.

Get Grooved by mail 01 Jul 2016 05:53 #17

• bRry Augustine
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
Well like I said earlier if I try too accelerate fast like normal instantaneously like a bog out
Will happen ,but yeah I'm willing too try anything my rig is 30yrs old the smog shop does not sweat me that much as long as it seems

Oh yeah Tracy at the present time I would stay locked and loaded and have people watching out for each
Other like a security vortex ,cook and eat at home . The gov't. Is fuc with my post on hear you never know what else there doing.

Get Grooved by mail 01 Jul 2016 08:42 #18

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
cheapstuff, where are you located? I'll have to look up 2T oil...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Get Grooved by mail 01 Jul 2016 10:00 #19

• Jack
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 0
In Asia... where we get 97-100 octane at the Pump!!!

Last edit: by Jack.

Get Grooved by mail 01 Jul 2016 12:18 #20

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Actually, I think we all get the same gas. we just have different ways of selling it:

Fuel octane ratings explanation and compared.

Difference Engine: Who needs premium?
The EconomistSkip to content

Try our new AI-powered searchbeta

Babbage | Octane ratings

Difference Engine: Who needs premium?

Most cars today will run on lower grade fuel, but should they?

By N.V. | LOS ANGELES

EVEN at the cheapest petrol station in your correspondent's neighborhood, filling up the family kidmobile with premium (91 octane) fuel now costs over $70. As the meter clocks up dizzying dollar amounts, he looks longingly at the regular (87 octane) pump. Switching from his vehicle’s recommended premium-grade fuel to the cheaper variety would lower his fuel bill by at least 20 cents a gallon (more than five cents a litre). The question is, would it be worth it?

On the surface, the decision appears easy. Because the name “premium” implies a souped-up fuel that packs an extra punch, many motorists actually believe it delivers more oomph or miles per gallon—and may therefore represent good value. The truth, however, is that premium contains no more energy than regular petrol—around 114,000 British Thermal Units per gallon, depending on the season, the region, the local pollution requirements, and the amount of bio-ethanol that has to be added to petrol in America by law to keep the country’s corn-growers in clover (see “Competition at the pump”, August 20th 2012). The difference between premium and regular petrol lies in the blend of hydrocarbons used to make the fuel, and the package of additives mixed into it.

Nowadays, petrol is made up of hydrocarbons (mainly paraffins, naphthenes and olefins) produced in a catalytic cracker or reformer. The refinery process breaks the crude oil’s large hydrocarbon molecules into smaller ones by vaporising them in the presence of a powdered catalyst (an absorbent mineral such as zeolite). The blend varies depending on where the crude came from, the refinery equipment used, and the grade of petrol being produced.

Additives are included to reduce carbon build-up inside the engine, improve combustion, inhibit corrosion and allow easier starting in cold climates. Fuels that meet the requirements for “Top Tier Detergent Gasolines” (a voluntary standard endorsed by BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen) contain more detergent in their additive packages than the minimum required by the authorities.

Another key additive that blenders stir into their brew is ethanol. That is done these days primarily to boost the fuel’s octane rating. A higher octane rating allows an engine to use a compression ratio of, say, 12-to-one instead of a more usual ten-to-one. The greater the compression, the higher the temperature within the combustion chamber. And the higher the temperature, the greater the thermal efficiency and power produced. In a nutshell, high-compression engines designed for performance need high-octane petrol.

Though ethanol has less energy per gallon than petrol, it has a considerably higher research octane number (RON)—around 108 to premium’s 97. It should be noted that this is not the octane rating seen on the pump in America. The RON figure results from a laboratory test done using a special engine with a variable compression ratio.

In the fuel test, the compression is raised until the engine begins to “knock”—ie, the fuel in the cylinder ceases to burn smoothly and instead detonates before it can be ignited by the spark plug. The cylinder pressure at which this occurs is then compared with that achieved while the engine is running on a reference fuel (a mixture of iso-octane and n-heptane). The ratio of the two pressures provides the RON of the fuel in question.

A better way of measuring a fuel’s ability to resist knocking under load is the so-called motor octane number (MON) test. This uses a similar test engine, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed and variable ignition timing. Because it uses more real-world conditions, the MON rating is typically eight to ten points lower than the equivalent RON figure.

In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI (anti-knock index). Thus, 97 octane “super unleaded” in Britain is roughly equivalent to 91 octane premium in the United States.

Whatever the test, the point is that knocking needs to be avoided at all cost. If allowed to continue, it can quickly cause an engine to disintegrate. That is because when the air-fuel mixture in the cylinder detonates spontaneously before reaching the top of its compression stroke, the rising piston confronts a wall of rapidly expanding gases from the explosion, which attempt to force the piston back down the cylinder. The stresses caused by suddenly trying to reverse the rotation of the engine can become high enough to shatter the pistons, connecting rods and parts of the crankshaft.

To prevent that happening, a high-compression engine uses a blend of hydrocarbons that is somewhat less combustible than normal. Ethanol has an auto-ignition temperature of 362ºC, while petrol bursts into flames without a spark between 246ºC and 280ºC, depending on the blend. Therefore, adding a little ethanol to petrol can raise the auto-ignition temperature enough to prevent the blend from igniting purely from the heat generated during compression.

On the face of it, then, a motorist would seem ill-advised to use regular petrol in a car with a high-compression engine. That was certainly the case in the past. But cars today have sensors that listen carefully for the knocking sound, and instantly retard the ignition system when they detect that detonation is about to happen.

The delay in delivering the retarded spark allows the piston to start moving downward on its expansion stroke before the ignition actually occurs. That provides additional room in the cylinder head for the gases to expand and thereby reduce their damaging peak pressure—and so burn in a more controlled manner.

To sum up, if the car’s handbook says that premium petrol is “recommended” (rather than insisting it is “required”), then the engine will automatically adjust itself to run smoothly on a lower octane fuel. Because of the retarded ignition, the engine will, of course, produce less power, and have slightly higher fuel consumption. But the poorer fuel economy is likely to be outweighed by the savings at the pump.

Even so, your correspondent remains reluctant to make the switch. One reason is that no one has been able to tell him what damage is done, if any, by running the engine permanently in a retarded state, and forcing the anti-knock system to remain active all the time.

Another reason is because all the vehicle’s emissions testing was done using the recommended grade of fuel. Despite the fact that modern fuel-injection systems adjust the air-fuel mixture for changing conditions, your correspondent still has no idea how much more pollution the car might dump into the atmosphere if he switched to regular. Premium certainly has a better additive package, which helps keep the tailpipe clean as well as the inside of the engine.

But his biggest reason for sticking with premium, though, is that he was well aware that the car needed 91 octane to work properly when he bought it. And having paid upfront for the higher performance, he is reluctant now to throw that benefit away.

As for those who earnestly believe (and quite a few do) that filling the family Toyota with premium will somehow make it go faster or deliver more miles to the gallon, all one can say is don’t bother. As one wit noted, the only thing it will make run faster is money from your pocket.

More from Babbage

And it’s goodnight from us

Why 10, not 9, is better than 8

For Microsoft, Windows 10 is both the end of the line and a new beginning

Future, imperfect and tense

Deadlines in the future are more likely to be met if they are linked to the mind's slippery notions of the present

Get Grooved by mail 25 Jul 2016 22:21 #21

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
OK back on track. First I'd like to thank all of you who have been in touch with this Gadgetman. Both in regards to getting your TB Grooved by mail. And, also in regards to the question of bits. That is being worked on--that's all I have on that for now.

I have had 2 TB's sent in for Grooving so far, both are back with their Owners now. One hasn't given me any feedback yet, but the second one--Well he called me after he reinstalled the TB, following my instructions carefully. He gave a Glowing post-ECU relearn drive report. Thanked me profusely he did, was extremely pleased w/ the results in power AND in MPG from the onboard readout. He says he is going to drive his Groovy Honda Accord on a long trip soon, and promised to report back results. I will leave him as Mr Anonymous for now, I've invited him to post in here w/ us, and I really hope he joins in the discussions. I told him since he had done most of the Pre-Groove Preps before getting the Groove--that he is a Gadgetman without bits!

And the calls to me as a Gadgetman keep coming... ;) :)

May God Bless Ron Hatton. May He keep him safe. And, may He put Ron back in touch with us soon!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Get Grooved by mail 23 Aug 2016 18:14 #22

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
bump!

Just keepin' this thread on the front page, folks.

cool things are going on in the off-site regions of Gadgetman Land... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Stick around...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Get Grooved by mail 24 Aug 2016 10:03 #23

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Has Ron Hatton been away researching and plotting his next gift to the world?
Will TracyG announce a new bunch of bits are available for aspiring gadgetfolk?
oooh, behind the scenes action! Can't wait for the Big Reveal!
I guess we'll have to stay tuned to find out!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Get Grooved by mail 22 Sep 2016 17:54 #24

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Belated answer to Dr. Dude's last here: Yes, and Yup!

Again- Stand By for further announcements

"Don't fire till ye hear the whine 'o me Dremel, Lads!"

something's coming...

wolves 'an curs be a-howlin' in the night

chains be Rattlin', de groun' start Shakin'

An' in the lab, somethin' be a Bakin'...

what in de World might he be Makin'...?

tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV