Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.

TOPIC: Rebuild Project with New LongBlock 350

Rebuild Project with New LongBlock 350 16 Mar 2017 22:55 #25

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
Thank you for the responses, and i've been making small incremental changes every night and then testing them on the way to work. I'm well over 60 chip burns so far, its a good thing i can re-use these things. I'm not running premium fuel right now, I have increased my spark with higher voltage coil and good wires while adjusting my timing tables to allow for no knock. I am definitely learning my way around how to re-tune these engines for premium fuel use.

I have the video of that white single cab chevy in my mind Ron, don't worry i'm heading for the 30's if we can get it there. For me though the success comes when my wife can drive the truck and get good mileage as well as when I drive.

The TBI computer still has the ability to learn, it reminds me every time I set something too far in my parameters of a new tune and she tries to re-learn what in the heck has happened.

If I can find the level for minimum fuel with the groove I can start making other improvements and see how much more they improve the overall fuel use as well. Still need to be able to get around someone in traffic though, so I still have to tune for 10 seconds of WOT. Driving home at 5pm is no fun most of the time.

Ken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rebuild Project with New LongBlock 350 21 Mar 2017 21:05 #26

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
I jumped the Gun and dropped down to 61 lbs of pressure as the computer was set originally. She idles great and drives well in town in third gear, but if you try to get on the hwy the engine will rev and you'll slowly accelerate. So i'm slowly moving the pressure back up, i think 65 is going to be the sweet spot.

I was able to raise the timing across the board around 5-6 points everywhere, no knock or lean conditions observed. Getting 21-23 mpg on the hwy right now, and in the process of getting another original throttle body to do the groove on. I think with the fresh groove, smaller throttle body and current tune I can add another 3-4 mpg if the wind isnt' blowing 25-30 mph like it has been lately.

Still groovin' along.
Ken

Attachment Mainsparktabledifferenceaftergroove.jpg not found

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ken Bittle. Reason: no attachment