Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.

TOPIC: Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 22 Sep 2016 19:26 #13

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Okay. Added 7 crushed/dissolved aspirin, about 2 oz of alcohol and h202.

Full tank of gas in truck.

Let's see what happens.
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Codered1 22 Sep 2016 19:30 #14

• Ryker Cowles
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 3
Ya that thing, and lucky you, finished a two hour trip and riding at 38mpg @90mph average right now, not my normal 40+mpg, but did have to idle to avoid boiling after running 4k rpm for over 45mins. So I can safely say it works even with ign adv missing 5 degrees due to egr.

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 22 Sep 2016 22:00 #15

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Holy Cats, Batman! 38 MPG at 90 MPH!!?? :ohmy: :woohoo: :evil:

for real??

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Codered1 22 Sep 2016 22:34 #16

• Ryker Cowles
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Really? That's kinda below normal mileage, best I got was 45mpg idling in stop an go traffic during a 50mi trip to traverse city that took 2 hours. Engine power does not determine fuel efficiency, there is a heavily boosted 1.5L 400hp engine that is considered witchcraft that probably got 80mpg. But still good fun to piss off my grandma in law (she never liked me anyways) when she mentions her prius that gets 50mpg @55mph.

More power can equal less fuel used, contrary to belief, this is heavily recognized on semi trucks that have had their EGR removed. Using the thinnest high quality oil (AMSOIL) as possible to reduce friction can increase efficiency by 5%, same for tyranny and diff fliud for another 3%. Tires that are inflated to the correct pressure, as listed on the tire, not vehicle door.

I might give RVS a shot, having a quarter million miles it will most likely have an effect considering that it has been ran on dyno oil and seized from said oil. My Aunt didn't listen to her father, the original owner, who is a CAT engineer to only put high grade synthetic oil (AMSOIL) in it. Unknown if replaced or rebuilt, you can't rely on physical age to tell as Saturn used high quality aluminum alloy, in other words it's looks factory new even for being 16 years old. Compared to a ford aluminum block made in 05 it might as we'll look over 100 years old.

God this thread hijack, I really shouldn't reply with this.

Last edit: by Ryker Cowles.

Codered1 23 Sep 2016 01:10 #17

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
i have finally regained access to my Gadgetman Identity here, thanks to a fellow resident of Gadgetman Land.

Thanks, John! I am so pleased you're a part of this world!

Anyway, on this whole "power versus MPG" thing: We have been fed so much BS regarding gasoline engines that no one knows the whole truth about how much we have had stolen from us in the pleasure of operating our powerplants.

Fortunately, there are a BUNCH of us that are willing to face the existing paradigms and say to ourselves "Huh?" Then, when we come to our OWN understanding of things, step out of the shadows and share our new understanding with those still walking in the shadows that it gets easier every year to flip off those we have had betray our trust.

NOW, the shoe is being put on the other foot as we release our solutions to the things that have never been viewed as problems.

The single greatest challenge we face is the resistance of people to believe they've been conned. Let alone conned out of billions of dollars.

Every year.

6 MILLION gallons of gasoline are sold every HOUR in this country, and that was in 2007. Ny calculations suggest that we can glean way more out of that fuel. I believe that somewhere between 95 and 99% are wasted.

Gaining opower out of only 5% of that will DOUBLE mileage.

Imagine what would happen to the economy if that happened.

The money would be back in the hands of the consumers, where it BELONGS! That money equals POWER in this world.

I'll get off my soapbox, and simply say to you all:

It's GREAT to be a Gadgetman again!!!"

I love you all.

Keep the faith!

Ron

Last edit: by Gadgetman.

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 23 Sep 2016 02:23 #18

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Well said, Ron!

It's good to see you able to post as yourself again! I'm glad this hurdle has been passed.

Ya know, every time I do the google search for the website here, I see this stupid thing from whoosit, with the title line saying how the Gadgetman Groove's days are numbered... :lol:

and that screed was from 2013. Ya can't tell me search results aren't controlled... somebody keeps that stupid thing right there. Kinda like some idiot's discarded protester sign. I get a laugh from it sometimes!

:P ;) :lol: BTW, I think that silly website posting had something to do w/ Sterling Allen, the guy in prison forever now--for child molestation charges! The backstory I've heard and read about of his case is something else. But- no matter. Ron and we are still here! Ya-hoo! :woohoo:

Ron, you can't keep a Good Man down!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadgetman

Codered1 23 Sep 2016 03:04 #19

• Ryker Cowles
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Search results are determined by traffic, try duck duck go.

Sterling... Ya... I guess interesting. No offense, but both sides correct. And not trying to beat a dead horse, but in my opinion it was not a gov. Job.

(Jumping topic) Would also like to complete unfinished testing, it seems to work.

Also one more question, IAC mod, I'm assuming that is modifying the TB to have the plate more open? And as for the PCV, fixed versions are avaliable.

Last edit: by Ryker Cowles.

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 23 Sep 2016 10:12 #20

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
(I second the use of DuckDuckGo as search engine, and we should all be using the Opera browser for the built-in VPN functionality for security through encryption...)

IAC mod is two-fold: first reason is to redirect idle airflow away from the groove so that it doesn't interfere with the waveform being produced, second is to restrict that airflow so the engine doesn't surge at idle due to waveform's effect. Since the waveform is better mixing air and fuel pre-combustion, the o2s see more air and decide fuel delivery is too low - not what we're looking for.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Codered1 23 Sep 2016 10:41 #21

• Ryker Cowles
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Engine surge? You mean threaten to stall out after letting off the gas?

And more mixed=more air... oh excess air now available when it doesn't before. But why kill it, the IAC will correct it. But even then the more thoroughly mixed the less 02 so at same time it's little confusing when focusing on all aspects.

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 23 Sep 2016 14:23 #22

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
My understanding of the IAC mods is this: IAC is there to let air for idle operation in. Cable driven TB's have the plate closed at idle when your foot is off the gas pedal. By comparison, carb's for example, the plate is cracked open with the idle speed screw adjust. to allow air for idle.

Ron found that engines would idle w/ only a 1/8" diameter hole for idle airflow. But nearly every TB I've had has an IAC airflow path many times larger. And I think the OEM's make the IAC flow path extra large, to ensure air will get thru even when carbon and crud builds up over many miles, if neglected.

Ron surmised that many IAC's stay open even off idle w/ warmed up engine.

If IAC is open, it also acts as a big manifold vacuum leak- directly reducing the Groove's effectiveness. On top of this, often the entry port to the IAC is an opening in the TB bore wall, above (upstream) from the plate. Some designs have an opening shaped/sized such that the boundary layer air that "sticks" to the bore walls will be disturbed and turbulence could be formed. Location/shape/size of the port, especially if above the critical center of the Groove, adds to importance of disturbance of the boundary layer airflow. If you watch Ron's whiteboard video's on the Groove in Youtube channel Gadgetmanglobal, you can see why I look at this.

Also, the IAC air exit port is often positioned such to cause turbulence and disrupt the air waveform the Groove creates. When looking at TB's to figure out the whole IAC flowpath, it helps to remember that air is considered a fluid.

What I try to do is achieve a compromise. In addition to all this, remember that IAC valves are a variable air valve, the ECU can vary the opening to give fast idle RPM for cold start, or for A/C idle loads.

On the upstream side, I look for an opportunity to fill in a large IAC entry port where present, if I think it could disturb bore wall boundary layer flow. Below the plate, I look for the opportunity to redirect IAC exit flow away from the Groove, into a "neutral" place like under the axle shaft, or the low press. side opposite the Groove. Some TB designs send IAC air into a port cast into the intake manifold, and dump into the intake plenum downstream. I usually leave the downstream side alone in this case.

Finally, I usually try to size any hole drilled thru epoxy filler, or any air channel(s), a bit larger than what a minimum flow to support hot engine curb idle RPM could be. To support cold start fast idle RPM's for example. And- I always clean out any carbon crud on the IAC valve pintle seat, and any/all carbon crud anyplace on/in the TB. This is if the TB is a cable drive design.

I've seen one or two TB's that were DBW, yet also had some kind of idle air bypass as well. That requires additional thought! After awhile of doing this, I got better at figuring out what I think the OEM's do with their TB designs.

Learning about IAC's, I take pic's of my work, and post 'em in here to try to help others see how I do it. By looking at my posts in the brand categories in the Index, and in Service Bulletins, Tools of the Trade, etc. many different examples can be found--and not just mine.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadgetman

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 27 Sep 2016 19:27 #23

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I wonder what happened to Scott's mileage???
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 30 Sep 2016 20:02 #24

• Scott Castleberg
  • Thank you received: 12
Okay. Topped off tank today. No change in mpg. 15.9 mpg.

I can feel the groove effect every time I hit the gas, but my mpg gains have been stubborn.

Just being honest.
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI