Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need a good explanation on how to do the PCV reroute with a

Need a good explanation on how to do the PCV reroute with a 21 Feb 2017 03:40 #1

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
Car mechanic. I am a new owner of a 2000 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 V6 OHV engine.

My wife and I went through some tough times and I sold most of my tools including my dremel :(

My apartment won't allow car repairs done in the parking lot. The best thing I can do is find a small auto repair shop that can help me with doing the PCV reroute on the engine.

But I don't know what to tell him and what kind of hose to use. I want to be able to tell him or her what I want done without a deer in the headlights confused look on his or her face.

I also need to tell him or her how many hoses and how long the hoses should be.

I hope someone here can help me out. Thank you.

I've attached pictures of the engine I have in my car. These pictures are not from my vehicle. Don't mind the PCV valve question marks. That is the correct PCV Valve location.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Need a good explanation on how to do the PCV reroute with a 21 Feb 2017 08:10 #2

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If I remember correctly, the PCV on this one is located behind the throttle on the intake and behind the far right runner of the exhaust manifold and it is a BEAR to get off and then to cap. That's why it's so damn hard to locate.

To let you know a little something. The first one of these I did I had to go to the dealer's parts counter and get a vac routing map. The hose comes off a larger port on the intake manifold and runs clear across the backside of the engine until the far left intake manifold runner, where the PCV is located.

You might try to get to the far left end of the hose and plug it there.

I hope this helps you out, Juan! And THANKS FOR PUTTING THE QUESTION P FOR OThERS!

Ron

Need a good explanation on how to do the PCV reroute with a 21 Feb 2017 20:26 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey Juan!

I think I see the answer on this one. First off, which pic is Your engine?

the top pic-# 1 looks like the PCV valve. #2 is the elbow connection to the intake man. # 2 is the vacuum source for the PCV. Now look over by the oil fill cap. See the hard plastic tube that goes over to a grommet on the air inlet duct? That's the crankcase breather tube. IF this is your engine, get the hose/tube off the PCV valve. Plug that hose, or pull the tube/hose off the manifold nipple and put a cap on it. Pull the PCV valve off, take it to the parts store. Figure out what size fuel hose fits the PCV valve nipple. You don't need the expensive fuel injection hose, the kind for low pressure, like carburetors, is fine, and cheaper.

buy enough hose to reach from the PCV valve over to where the breather hose/tube goes into the grommet in the air inlet duct. Buy enough to have some extra length maybe 6 extra inches. They sell hose like this in bulk, off spools, by the foot or inch, so you can get as much as you want. Then, you can pull the breather hose/tube out of the grommet, and decide how to connect the new PCV hose you just bought into the breather tube. I'd see if the new PCV valve hose is the right diameter to fit the end of the breather tube. Easy way to tell- pull the PCV valve, and remove the breather tube from the air duct grommet, then compare the sizes, they look close to me. IF they match, then all ya need is- the new fuel hose, a plastic tee that fits the hose, and a cap or plug for the original PCV valve hose/tube on the intake manifold. A "tee" is shaped like the letter T, and has raised ridges to give a tight seal in the hose.

What I would do is see if the PCV Valve nipple and breather tube are same diameter. If the breather tube is different diameter to the PCV valve nipple and new hose...then you need to find a tee that is the size of the breather tube on 2 ends, and the size of the PCV nipple/new hose on the 3rd end. They do sell a variety of plastic tees for different hose sizes, and some to adapt different hose sizes. The hard plastic breather tube may have a bit of flex to it. It already has a ridge to seal on the end. A tee that matches the breather tube size, should fit tight into that air duct grommet too. So- find the tee that fits into the grommet tight enough on two ends, and fits the new PCV hose on the third. IT all looks like 3/8" inch ID to me. Finally, you will need 1-2 inches of whatever hose fits on the breather tube.

I'd do it, with the tee into the breather tube grommet in the air duct, and the 1-2 inch piece of hose connecting the tee to the breather hose on the opposite end. The new PCV hose goes to the 3rd end of the tee, and runs over to hook onto the PCV valve. Check the PCV valve itself, spray it out w/ brake or carb. cleaner if grungy, or just replace it. Cap or plug the PCV nipple on the intake manifold--you're done!

Juan, if you read this carefully, it will make sense. The second pic (Vulcan) is the same basic method. You can see the breather hose/tube right at the oil fill cap. There is a second hose just left and inboard of the breather hose, it looks like fresh replacement rubber hose. It looks like it goes to the throttle body, the other end closer to the oil fill MIGHT be the PCV Valve, I'm not sure. I'll avoid trying to exacto-detailo that pic, untill you say which one is yours!

IT took me longer to write all this, than it would to do it. Come back and tell which pic is your engine, then I can give more ideas on how to do it all in the parts store parking lot. DIY here, will save a lot of $$ and avoid the blank look from a Mechanic. :blink: :huh: :unsure: :pinch: ;) :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: