Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Interesting result of Snake Oil applications

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 13 Nov 2019 23:00 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
In the past few days, I've observed an interesting effect resulting from applying Snake Oil to two different vehicles.

Both vehicles were old late 80's models: A 1989 Nissan Mxima, and a 1988 Toyota Van.

With the Maxima, the owner (who is pleased with results after only minimal use of the car) told me that an exhaust leak had diminished.

When the car was first here, I noticed an existing exhaust leak at the manifold was now making a loud "tick" sound. I've been telling her for quite awhile that this leak needs fixed. Now it had worsened, hence the tick sound along with the normal leak sound. I did an oil change and added Snake Oil to the crankcase.

About a week later, she returned for me to address a bad battery, and I noticed the tick sound was gone...? The engine was now running noticeably smoother than it has in years.

The second car is the '88 Toyota Van. This car is a beater- the owner uses it do do a weekly food delivery route for needy folks. Like the Maxima, I had done an oil change and Snake Oil application to the engine. He happened to drop by Tuesday morning. This engine has a pretty bad exhaust manifold leak, and it's been quite noisy each time I'd worked on it before.

But, this time, the engine was "purring" as he put it. I could tell there was still an exhaust leak- but only if I was really listening for it! The idle quality had completely transformed into a smooth happy even "Brrrrr" sound, no longer the rough uneven drone with the harsh overlay of the leak. As he drove off, the sound was much quieter than ever before...!!?:huh: :)

So these are good results, to go along with greatly improved driveability. I've Snake Oil'ed 5 engines/vehicles so far, and every one has shown major improvements in driveability, idle quality, throttle response, and more.

And now 2 of them have had exhaust manifold leaks quiet down too!:woohoo:

Very cool!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Kenneth Smith, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 14 Nov 2019 11:15 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
that makes sense to me, from a "vibrating column of air" perspective (an engine being a glorified air pump):
when the engine is running as smoothly as it was designed to, without any ticks or hiccups, the exhaust gasses will be passing through the system with the consistency it was designed for because the pressure will be more controlled rather than variable. I'd even wager that those variances in exhaust pressures may have had something to do with where the leaks develop, owing to resonance - if a node happens at a joint, for instance, that joint may be more prone to failure in a shorter mount of time simply from it buffeting the joint rather than sliding past it.
this is the former brass player in me talking. I'm sure someone out there is rolling up their sleeves to refute me/straighten my thinking out, but again, it still makes sense to me.
heck, maybe making the engine run smoother makes the gaskets seal better, so things aren't shaking in and out of tolerance. maybe both, and possibly even more I've not envisioned.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Johnathan, Kenneth Smith, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 14 Nov 2019 11:44 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Greg, and thanks for the "Brass player's Perspective"!

I've been thinking along the same lines, that the evident resulting smoothing out of the exhaust gas pulses has put the system back "in tune."
Pressure spikes and dips are reduced to such a degree that the gasses now flow in a far smoother manner. There's that word Smooth again, I keep using it to describe what Snake Oil does to an engine.

I will speculate further- that during valve overlap, the intake and exhaust tracts are connected. SO, during the portion of rotation when both intake and exhaust valves are open the gas pulses are more harmonious and even. In turn, resonance thru the entire gas flow system, from the air inlet/filter system, the throttle body (AND Groove, if present) intake manifold runner, combustion chamber, and entire exhaust system to the tailpipe tip, is enhanced!:woohoo:

I tell you, the radical change in the sounds of that beater 88 Toyota van is really amazing!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Kenneth Smith, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 14 Nov 2019 12:03 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Yes indeed, our minds are in the same movie theater!

Have you grooved either of those vehicles? If not, maybe you should. those sound like two vehicle owners who would spread the word about what it is we're doing, and the results achieved/attained.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 15 Nov 2019 01:00 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Greg, I Grooved the Maxima about 7 years ago. It's the one w/ the "Cave man" grooves. I'm expecting a feedback report from the owner.

The 88 Toyota van- well, I haven't Grooved it. It's pretty rough, the owner brought it to me almost a month back for brake work, plus a couple other things. The owner is a real nice guy, just not really a "car guy". I'm also expecting a report from him re: Snake Oil. The reduction in exhaust leak sound, plus the idle quality and sound, are probably the most dramatic improvements of those type I've ever witnessed!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 15 Nov 2019 09:41 #6

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
5 vehicles?

5 happy clients?

How many videos do you have?
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 05 Dec 2019 16:23 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Umm, none. I'm working on being able to make videos, however...

But today, I DO have a great update on snake Oil results on my 1968 dodge pickup.

First off- this 52 year old 3/4 ton Dodge truck has 162 K miles, the engine is internally all original, the truck was delivered in December of 1967. While I converted it to a 4 barrel carb/manifold, and Chrysler Electronic Ignition, it has been running rougher in recent years. IT became hard to start cold, and had a light misfire you could hear in the exhaust sound.

I Snake Oil'ed the engine, 4 speed gearbox, rear axle, and cooling system 3 weeks ago, but only drove it maybe 8 miles after treatments.

It's been like cranking up grandpa's Model T when cold starting for ten years now. I would turn the ignition key on, raise the hood, remove the air cleaner, spray in starting fluid, THEN crank it over w/ a remote starter button. This usually required several attempts to get 'Ol Blue to finally fire...

Today (high humidity 40 deg F or so) it started up w/ the key, about 10 seconds of cranking to put gas in the carb. Amazing!

IT runs/drives so much better than it has in Years. Here's the Kicker--today I went to Smog Check it. It usually needed the carb. idle mix screws tweeked a quarter turn lean to pass. Not Today, it passed first time, w/ No adjustments!:evil: :cheer:

(Scene Visualization:) The Old Man is down on his knees, hands tightly clasped together, a look of Deliverance on his smiling aged face as he fervently exclaims--" O Thank you, Thank You, my son, thank you a Thousand times!! You have SAVED my Truck, I've had this truck over FIFTY YEARS, and your Miracle Oil has SAVED it!!" He kneels at my feet as if to kiss my shoes. But I pat him on the shoulder, and say, "It's Okay, Grandfather, no need for that! Stand up Proudly!" (I help him back up) "Don't thank me, thank the Lord for bringing us the Snake Oil!"

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeraldC, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway.

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 07 Dec 2019 17:11 #8

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
A man stopped by with a 1988 GMC pickup I told him about Snake Oil for oil and other things He told me this V8 engine with about 200.000 miles has a slow water leak and we look all over engine shut off and running and no water was coming out. He said he could drive it maybe 20 miles stop and check water in radiator and it would need about a quart of water. It runs fine no misses at all. This thing may have very small crack somewhere in gasket or radiator. Question is will Snake Oil in water stop a small leak like this ?

Tracy Gallaway Please look under my truck tab for a question I have
2015 GMC truck 5.3 L
Thanks
GeraldC
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by GeraldC.

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 09 Dec 2019 01:28 #9

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman

Tracy Gallaway wrote: IT runs/drives so much better than it has in Years. Here's the Kicker--today I went to Smog Check it. It usually needed the carb. idle mix screws tweeked a quarter turn lean to pass. Not Today, it passed first time, w/ No adjustments!:evil: :cheer:

That is a truly fantastic result.
You didn't mention if Ol' Blue is grooved or not, or if you've Granatelli'd the ignition wires, my friend...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 10 Dec 2019 23:51 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Gerald: While I would not represent that Snake Oil for cooling systems (actually a Borate additive) would fix such a huge colling system leak-...

I'd just say, try it! Heck we've and I have already seen near miracles happen w/ snake Oil. I honestly wouldn't expect to be able to seal such a large leak as that one, it honestly needs diagnosis and fixing.

but, who knows...?

Greg: Well, mine Herr gud Doktor, 'Ol Blue was Grooved ( an Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM 4 bbl carb.) about 7 years ago. And it wears a set of Jacobs Electronics plug wires and chrome Jacobs coil for over 20 years now. In the late 80's into the 90's Jacobs was one of the best lines of Ignition stuff around. Jacobs has been gone since early 2000's. Jacobs wires had very low Ohm resistance and good construction. Blue DOES have a Granetelli coil wire though.

It's a good 'ol truck, I only use it when I need to haul firewood, etc. Manual steering, front straight axle, 4 wheel drum brakes (Power Brakes, thank God!) Granny first gear New Process 4 spd, stick shift trans, a burly Dana 60 rear axle...It's a far cry from what trucks have been like for many years now. In aircraft descriptive terms, it's like flying a Consolidated B-24 Liberator thru flak on the dreaded Ploesti bomb run in 1943-44::huh: You don't do any sudden or radical moves w/ 'Ol Blue, Straight and level is what it does best!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeraldC, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway.

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 11 Dec 2019 08:08 #11

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
It greatly amuses me to see the recent flurry of mention of carbs on here...and the recent carb tuning videos -both flavours, Edelbrock and Holley- on the Uncle Tony's Garage channel on YouTube. which reminds me, I'm looking for a Waffle House Trucker's hat...

I'm starting to feel like your truck, Tracy...straight and level endurance is easy, but going fast is out of the question unless I'm going downhill with hurricane-force tailwinds ;)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Interesting result of Snake Oil applications 12 Dec 2019 22:42 #12

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Well, Greg, I didn't think you were so old...
the thing about straight and level is, you gotta fly that way in a Lib so the Bombardier can git the Norden bomb sight on target. The other thing is that you'll know when you're over the Target, cause that's where the Flak is heaviest!

OK, enough of that! Yes, I watch Uncle Tony's Garage videos on YT too. He's great. If I had kept my '74 Dart Sport, I would now know the tricks on rebuilding the Slant Six it had... And, I dunno about the Waffle house trucker's hat, but on I think Keep Shooting.com they recently had surplus German Army winter hats, the Elmer Fudd style with the chin strap that covers your ears-- in Flecktarn camo to boot! You could walk in anyplace with THAT hat on, and be the only guy wearing that hat.

remember, girls LOVE Flecktarn camo...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: