Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Snake Oil helped fix my VACUUM Cleaner!!

Snake Oil helped fix my VACUUM Cleaner!! 19 Dec 2019 17:20 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
So I'm sure nobody else has tried this yet...

The other day I was vacuuming the rugs in the house here. My vacuum is an old Electrolux Silverado canister type unit. It's approaching 40 years old, but still gives good service. When I started it, the motor in the power head (the unit at the end of the nozzle on the floor with the powered rotating brush) hesitated and started running with difficulty. I ran it on the rug for a minute, and saw it wasn't cleaning too well.
I bent down, and felt that the housing over the motor was already getting hot. Flipping it over I saw that fibers and junk were wrapped round the ends of the brush bar. I removed the whole power head, then opened it up to clean the assembly.

The brush roller has steel end shafts which ride in removeable bronze bushing holders. I pulled the brush roller and end bushing holders, and thoroughly cleaned 'em. The I realized- the end shafts of the brush roller are metal-to-metal w/ the bronze bushings. So I took an used 5cc Snake Oil Friction Proofer syringe, and sucked a bit of motor oil back into it to mix w/ the tiny amount of white hbn still there. Then I put a drop of the SO mix onto the steel end shafts of the brush roller, and re-assembled the power head assembly.

Result: this Electrolux now cleans better than it has in years, maybe decades! I haven't heard that power brush roller head sound like this since I can recall. OF course removing the dirt/fibers from the end shaft bushings did most of the good allowing it to work at all again.

BUT-now the power head runs noticeably faster smoother and cooler than for years. And the suction seems improved too, maybe the reduced electrical load on the power head motor is allowing the main suction motor to spin faster, improving the overall suction and cleaning performance.

Snake Oil Strikes Again!!:) B) :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: