Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.

TOPIC: Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 01 Sep 2020 08:12 #1

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
I would like to invite you all to post your experience and results of tuning your plugs here.
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Sep 2020 06:16 #2

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
My 1997 chev long bed truck with 350 vortec engine was my first for engine plug gap calls for .060 they are at .074 now and truck is running fine. Truck was wrecked soon after plugs were gaped but if I remember right mpg went up 2 or 3 mpg and run fine. To do gap I used number 1 plug gap up 5% put back in cranked if no skip pull pug gap up 5 % more and repeated until engine skipped then back gap down 10% which on this engine was .074 for gap on all plugs. It run fine.
GeraldC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, GregK, Don Larson

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Sep 2020 07:56 #3

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
Thanks for that, Gerald!

I increased the gap on my generator in my RV/home and they would only take 0.045" before not running. Of course, it's a two-cylinder so missing on one means it won't run at all.

As a shortcut on time involved, I recommend all start at 0.080" and start tweaking it from there.

And getting 2-3 mpg out of every gallon on that truck meant you saving over 10% on fuel for the rest of its short life.

Have you tried it on any other engines?

Doing this, adding The Groove and Snake Oil and it's starting easier, running stronger, and using 1/3 of the fuel!!!

Ron
Ron Hatton

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Sep 2020 08:06 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I think we have to start thinking a bit differently than we have been doing: in waste spark ignition systems like in a good number of cars today and recently (well, pretty much since fuel injection became the norm over carburetor), we got coil packs that fire spark plugs on 2 cylinders simultaneously rather than one (like in distributors and now coil on plug ignition).
To that end, if one coil is firing 2 plugs each gapped at .060, the total gap is .120
In Gerald’s example, he was able to increase it to .074 per plug, or .148 total gap. 28 thousandths of an inch over stock for his engine comes in at almost a 25% increase!
It gets better, friends: TracyG got me thinking about ignition as I was beginning my journey down this road. He made me aware that quite a bit of the energy from the ignition coils gets eaten up by the resistance in the high voltage ignition wires, and recommended a product that I bought and tried. I simply swapped out the wires that were there, and received a benefit in mileage, proving to me that big fat sparks make for better efficiency. Then I swapped the plugs (anticipating making a more advanced ignition mod) with those with a significantly larger gap - the manufacturer says .090 or larger as I recall, for a .180” (or more) total gap, without misfire, of 50% (or more) over stock (.060 per plug or .120” total). And they’ve been in there for 2 years and many miles and starts, so with wear/abrasion they may even be pushing towards a quarter inch total gap per pair of cylinders.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Paul Viacrucis

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: Math...

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Sep 2020 08:08 #5

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
My 2015 GMC truck plugs does not have a gap to adjust. Would need to find a different plug for my truck if wanted to change gap.
GeraldC

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Sep 2020 17:22 #6

• Paul Viacrucis
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 13
Greg, care to share the brand and model of spark plug wires you switched to?

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Sep 2020 19:19 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Granatelli.
Their Zero ohm MPG+ wires.
The plugs are Extreme Soark’s Torquemaster Star Series, with resistors (to keep the factory coil happy, but if I could find an “upgrade” built for higher secondary voltages, I’d consider resistorless)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kenneth Smith, Paul Viacrucis

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Sep 2020 20:08 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I've had the non-resistor stainless torquemaster plugs in Subie for almost 6 1/2 years now. And these are in Plasma Ignition service, one hell of lot stronger than any stock type ignition. Probably 25-30K miles on 'em. Still going strong. Yours, Greg, likely have some wear, but the Torquemasters' manufacturer claims a huge service life, like maybe 200K miles in stock service...?

BTW- I recently got to "experience" the Plasma ignition's energy- at least the voltage input to the coil from the CD box. I inadvertently touched the coil's + input terminal, I felt the shock go thru my chest and heart--not fun!! the thing IS potentially dangerous!:evil:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Kenneth Smith

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 06 Sep 2020 08:04 #9

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman

GeraldC wrote: My 2015 GMC truck plugs does not have a gap to adjust. Would need to find a different plug for my truck if wanted to change gap.
GeraldC

All single point spark plugs can be adjusted, although some care must be used on some to not break the end of the anode. But even when this has happened to me, the plug still worked.

Still, ALL our work is about taking what we have and making it even better!!!

Ron
Ron Hatton

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 06 Sep 2020 09:52 #10

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman

Tracy Gallaway wrote: I've had the non-resistor stainless torquemaster plugs in Subie for almost 6 1/2 years now. And these are in Plasma Ignition service, one hell of lot stronger than any stock type ignition. Probably 25-30K miles on 'em. Still going strong. Yours, Greg, likely have some wear, but the Torquemasters' manufacturer claims a huge service life, like maybe 200K miles in stock service...?

BTW- I recently got to "experience" the Plasma ignition's energy- at least the voltage input to the coil from the CD box. I inadvertently touched the coil's + input terminal, I felt the shock go thru my chest and heart--not fun!! the thing IS potentially dangerous!:evil:

Tracy G

being the shortest path to ground is never fun. That might've killed you, Tracy. I'm so very glad it didn't.

I've been tempted to pull a plug and check it out, but as long as it keeps starting easily and running well, I'm not inclined to poke a bear just to satisfy my curiosity.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 11 Sep 2020 20:34 #11

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
Spark Plugs... Okay... bare with me. I have seen increases in smiles from tire spin on all engines or better fuel usage on stationary motors.

1993 Chevy Silverado vortec heads 5.7 liter - increased gap to .075 after adding high throw coil and msd wires.

1992 Chevy vortec 5.7 liter irrigation engine - increased gap to .085 with msd wires, running on natural gas grooved carburetor. This engine is doing what a ford 460 was on less fuel.

Generac 9000 watt portable generator - increased gap to .070 from .030. exhaust smell changed and rpm raised slightly. It runs now....

Craftsman lawn mower with brigs engine - increased to .070. powers through most anything till I hit a small branch.

Echo Chainsaw 52cc - increase to .080 and backed down to .075 for easier starts. Okay gadgetfolks, you want results you groove a 2-stroke motor, add in snake oil and increase that spark. heheh...its so much fun to cut through a tree faster.
2004 Nissan Altima 2.4 liter engine - increased gap to .060 over .043 stock, I went to .065 but only with premium gas. Coil on plugs was easier to go high, but when it dies on your wife in the parking lot you change your margin of error.

2012 Honda Civic 1.8 liter engine - increased gap to .065, everything else was stock. .07 worked but the computer DID NOT like it, so I settled with .065.

2016 Honda Accord 2.4 liter engine - increased gap to .07, same effect as civic so we settled with .065 over .044 stock rating. These computers really didn't like you messing with things.

2002 Lincoln Towncar 4.6 liter engine - increased gap to .080 with addition of Accel hotter coil packs, over .054 gap this really woke up the old 125k engine. Only mod done, 27mpg on the hwy when not using the cruise.... oh yeah she'll see 30mpg. I might have to use vacation time from work to do it, but she'll see it. This is going to be our yellowstone, blackhills, travel America vehicle.

I think there was a lincoln navigator that I did this too as well but I can't find those numbers..... I have changed hard-drives since then, I will keep looking. my family members don't leave me alone with engines anymore.... haha

A spark plug will tell you so much about how an engine is running, don't be afraid to pull one out and learn how to decode what its telling you. Its a little bit of a steep learning curve at first, but once you learn it you will know more about what is going on.

Stay groovy folks,
Ken
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Tracy Gallaway, GregK, Kenneth Smith, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 11 Sep 2020 22:58 #12

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Woweee, Ken, You've been a busy guy!!!
Tracy's gonna LOOOOVE all the ignition improvements/upgrades...you've grooved all of these?
As to your family not leaving you with engines - you could always threaten to trade the family members in on newer models if they DON't let you do your thing ;-p
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile