Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.

TOPIC: Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 06 Oct 2020 13:53 #37

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Third video on doing your wires...

Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Paul Viacrucis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 07 Oct 2020 07:20 #38

• kman
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 70
Ron,
Posted a reply before about wrapping but I must have pushed the wrong button to post.
Was suggesting to see if applying a backbone to the plug wire such as another stiff copper wire and then connecting to a drill and the wrapping wire which maybe could be a thinner diameter for easier wrapping as the wrapping wire would be on a spool feeding the wire with each revolution. Of coarse the plug wire would be vertical while wrapping unless support can be given to the other end while spinning.
If a certain thickness is needed for the plasma to work then maybe a second wrap of the thinner wire.
Yes this would make the plug wire stiffer when installing seeing the extra resistance from the backbone wire so I guess trial and error would prove whether this is viable.

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 07 Oct 2020 12:45 #39

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Friends - The person who made the video of wrapping your spark plug wires in aluminum tape has a video up that has demonstrated how a waste spark system works, if you think into it just a bit.

Those of us with coilpacks under our hoods need to realize that our ECUs are the igniter circuitry, and what we connect our plug wires to are just a bunch of coils bunched and packaged together in one unit. Yes, we have two secondaries per coil, but we're capturing the back current of the voltage pulse (released when the field in the coil collapses) with the foil and copper coils, and directing that to ground for bigger (more energetic) sparks.
further, pay attention to later in the video when he sparks up a plug with the curved electrode cut off.

Now we have to figure out how to make it happen for those who drive cars with coil-on-plug ignitions....
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 08 Oct 2020 11:36 #40

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Friends - the YouTube algorithm is working overtime in my case: this video popped up in my feed last night. I'm pretty sure it simplifies how to achieve a very close approximation of Murakami Plasma Ignition on a car with Waste-spark ignition. In combination with the foil wrap and/or coiling Ron's discussing (and I've been consistently hijacking - apologies! If I'm right and get it working on mine, I'll start my own thread), I'm certain we all will be able to benefit and put the icing on the cake that is the groove.

I think the 250V cap might be too large for longevity of components. The Ignition Secrets book shares that the capacitor in the MSD box only discharges 95mJ...so tailor the capacitor's voltage to that. a 50v 40uF cap stores 100mJ...
Joules of energy = Voltage of Capacitor ^2 * Farads

I'm parts shopping this afternoon for the caps at my local "Radio Shack"
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Nov 2020 07:34 #41

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
While I experiment with a lot of things, with the plug wire wrap, I took what others were doing and added a little twist.

As I just completed redesigning my ignition system, converting an ECU managed ignition system over to a late '70's Ford breakerless ignition and running a Holley four bbl, I wanted to see what the difference was in spark production.

OMG!!! You have got to see this!

Here are some still shots...

Here is a standard wire spark:

Now, the modified spark:

By the way, this was only by wrapping the wires in a certain way. No electronics, no soldering, no capacitors.

(yet!)

Enjoy!
Ron Hatton

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, GregK, Macaire, Paul Viacrucis

Last edit: by Ron Hatton.

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Nov 2020 09:25 #42

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
That's not insignificant.

we're having a warm spell here, so I believe I'm going to be able to get the Okki "Simple Plasma" method going for myself over the weekend.

Stay tuned, everybody!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Nov 2020 10:07 #43

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
And the complete tutorial is now onlne...
Ron Hatton
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, GregK, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Paul Viacrucis

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Nov 2020 11:07 #44

• Paul Viacrucis
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 13
Ron - I'm curious, what type of ignition wire did you use for this? spiral core, solid core? Does it even matter with the copper wrapping around it? And are you using standard resister-type copper plugs in this video or are they resistorless type?
I'm thinking about trying this on my only remaining vehicle that has spark plug wires (2002 GMC Sonoma 4.3 V6) but was a bit worried about RFI and ECU interference
Thanks,

Paul

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Nov 2020 16:17 #45

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
You're ,missing the point, fellers.

It will multiply the current to plasma level regardless of the wires or anything else.

Just do it.

Ron
Ron Hatton

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Nov 2020 16:38 #46

• Judge
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 6
I don't think I can do that with my BMW E36 as the coils are right at the top of each spark plug on each of the 6 cylinders.

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 05 Nov 2020 21:13 #47

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Judge and Greg K- look in the "other topics" folder at top of the page. Once there the first thread listed from Vernie goes into the idea of fire treated nano coated copper wire coils. There's more info on this in the various topic folders, maybe in the "other stuff" folder, I don't remember. But there IS more on this in here someplace- I posted about doing the nano- coated copper wire coil on my lawnmower several years ago.

The copper nano-coated coil on the spark plug of my mower Really woke it up!

Judge, my point is- it may be possible to make and insert these little coils on the top of the plugs- IF the coil will still attach to the plug w/ this...Might need 16 or 18 gauge bare solid wire to do it.

Greg, you've been around in here on the Spark plug/ Plasma topics a lot, what say you, Sir?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Tuning your Spark Plugs for Maximum Power 06 Nov 2020 06:45 #48

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
What I say:
Tracy is remembering Keshe coils. Vernie brought the idea of fire treatment of coils, and it’s clear from Ron’s video that is clearly not required for significant effect. The coil itself is what is important.
In Judge’s case with a coil on plug ignition: he could put a coil (like Ron has on each spark plug wire) on the +ve wires from the alternator and battery as well as on every ground wire. That should improve current flow within every system in the car, period, including at the spark gap.

Look at where the factory puts the big fat wires for lots of power to flow easily - those are the wires to treat with a coil to focus the current that passes through them. Battery/charging and starting systems. Spark plug wires are high voltage (strong potential difference- capable of lots of work), but the current (how fast the electrons flow) that passes through them is actually low...we- like any factory or business owner- want the workforce to be capable but we also want them to work as fast as possible at that potential. Lowering the resistance within the wires/system allows the electrons to flow easily (they’re the workers, electrons), putting lots of them under a type of pressure (voltage) moves them, but focusing their direction with the magnetic/inductive effect of these coils forces them to move directly as quickly as they possibly can - which in this case is quite literally the speed of light.

The ignition energy is released at the electrode and travels (radiates?) across the gap to the ground strap of the spark plug from what seems like the entire face surface of the electrode rather than a lightning bolt - the whole gap becomes the plasma channel! And the energy itself is bright blue-white (like some headlights lately) rather than a cooler yellowish white. Awesome video. Easy application. If possible, apply to all major electrics systems as well as ignition.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile