Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Preston Tucker's engine

Preston Tucker's engine 11 Oct 2020 15:02 #1

• Vladimir
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
It is a very interesting scheme of engine.
US patent US786723A. May be US2568473A

Got a direct link!

US2568473A - Combination internal-combustion engine and accessories - Google Patents

Hope that you can open it...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ron Hatton. Reason: Add Link

Preston Tucker's engine 11 Oct 2020 15:14 #2

• Grant Goldade
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 12
if you're interested in very high compression, no valvetrain, multi fuel
check out the bourke engine.
Bourke-Engine : Bourke 400
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, kman

Last edit: by Grant Goldade.

Preston Tucker's engine 11 Oct 2020 15:21 #3

• Vladimir
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
Did you mean this one?

https: //fuel-efficient-vehicles. org/energy-news/?page_id=1081 (delete spaces in address )
EDIT NOTE: When you want to add a link, it is best practice to insert the text (as above in "Tucker Patents") then click on the link of chain above the text box. When it pops up, put the desired link into the box on the left and enter.... For YouTubes, just paste the URL as text and the video will automatically added to the post.

Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, kman

Last edit: by Ron Hatton.

Preston Tucker's engine 12 Oct 2020 11:22 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Everyone should click (and read!) the "Run your car on vapors" link on that website: Cars made in the last 25-30 years have a fuel vapour system built-in: EVAP!!!
what someone more electronics savvy than me should do is find a way to trigger the vent/purge valves on the system based on accelerator input.
(Depending on how much you drive, imagine filling up your tank every 3-6-9-12 months...or longer!)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, kman

Last edit: by GregK.

Preston Tucker's engine 12 Oct 2020 12:38 #5

• kman
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 70
There is another motor that went nowhere and am wondering if it was because it was bogus/not practical or that it was put into obscurity by those who basically control everything in the oil industry.
The companies name was Murray Motors, at least that was the name of the stock back in the 80's and the motor was a single cam shaped in the figure of a triangle and supposedly was so simple as far as moving parts and running on a variety of fuels that one would think this would be a hit. At least I and thousands of others thought that when we invested.
Well it never really went anywhere and am wondering why whether flawed design or planned obscurity.
Anyone else know anything about this?.

Preston Tucker's engine 12 Oct 2020 13:21 #6

• kman
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 70
Guys
There are a few videos on the internet about running cars, generators and lawn mowers on gas vapors.
I did try the one with my lawnmower about 5 years ago and it worked. Ran it and mowed the lawn on vapors for a few weeks.
The problem that I found is that the light hydrocarbon vapors are easily vaporized but because of the shellac that the powers that be have mixed with the gas because of people like Tom Ogle figuring out how to run engines on vapors, this junk does not allow a large amount of gas vapors to vaporize to run an engine on. Found that I could only run my mower till about half of the gas vaporized then the vapors were so thin due to the shellac preventing vaporizing that it would stall leaving me with an orange gas mix that was basically useless. I figured that it was a bust seeing I would get more hours running the regular way burning all the gas than just using whatever vapors I could produce so I went back to normal use of the gas tank. IMO that is why the shellac was given us, to prevent proper vaporization.
I also sometimes have an issue with the mower running rough/fluctuating RPM's due to some problem with fuel feed whether a blockage or whatever and I overcame this by drilling a hole in the air filter case and dripping a small pippet full of gas into the case thus soaking the air filter and the resulting vapors produced would solve the problem. Running it on the vapors produced thru the air intake thru the air filter would run the mower till the blockage/problem would resolve itself.
This is also a much better/easier way to start a problem mower than spraying ether into the carb as many do.
Maybe if a drip feed of gas to vaporize on a wicking system was developed, this could possibly enhance the vaporization process.
I just never went any further with this seeing the small amount of gas I use each year mowing that the vapor system was not feasible and that the concept could not be used on another application such as a vehicle with an ECU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton

Last edit: by kman.

Preston Tucker's engine 13 Oct 2020 10:30 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652

kman wrote: Guys
The problem that I found is that the light hydrocarbon vapors are easily vaporized but because of the shellac that the powers that be have mixed with the gas because of people like Tom Ogle figuring out how to run engines on vapors, this junk does not allow a large amount of gas vapors to vaporize to run an engine on. Found that I could only run my mower till about half of the gas vaporized then the vapors were so thin due to the shellac preventing vaporizing that it would stall leaving me with an orange gas mix that was basically useless. I figured that it was a bust seeing I would get more hours running the regular way burning all the gas than just using whatever vapors I could produce so I went back to normal use of the gas tank. IMO that is why the shellac was given us, to prevent proper vaporization.
I also sometimes have an issue with the mower running rough/fluctuating RPM's due to some problem with fuel feed whether a blockage or whatever and I overcame this by drilling a hole in the air filter case and dripping a small pippet full of gas into the case thus soaking the air filter and the resulting vapors produced would solve the problem. Running it on the vapors produced thru the air intake thru the air filter would run the mower till the blockage/problem would resolve itself.
This is also a much better/easier way to start a problem mower than spraying ether into the carb as many do.
Maybe if a drip feed of gas to vaporize on a wicking system was developed, this could possibly enhance the vaporization process.
I just never went any further with this seeing the small amount of gas I use each year mowing that the vapor system was not feasible and that the concept could not be used on another application such as a vehicle with an ECU.

Shellac, or ethanol? (maybe some of each...) I think it was naphthalene (in moth balls) that someone added to their tanks to offset the shellac back in the day...today a tiny bit of water takes care of precipitating ethanol out.

And I wonder if heating the vapours from the EVAP system prior to entry into the manifold might help. people talk about pre-heating gasoline to get it to vaporize more/better at the injectors, but what about warming up the stuff that's already vapour? I suppose it might cause enough back pressure for the sensor in the tank to trigger the purge valve to open, along with the vent valve that lets fresh air in...hmmm...if I'm right with that part, would it cause an engine code, or would the computer trim back injector pulse durations based on the o2 sensor? further, if the throttle position is too closed, the EGR opens, permitting hot moist exhaust (with unburned hydrocarbons) into the intake manifold as well...

I think I need to learn up some more on the EVAP system...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: