Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Torquemaster spark plugs, 7 years on

Torquemaster spark plugs, 7 years on 28 May 2021 23:03 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Today in the course of some other work, I pulled out 2 of my non-resistor Torquemaster spark plugs from Subie, my old '85 Subaru GL wagon, with the 1.8L OHC engine. These special plugs were a part of the Plasma Ignition build on that engine. So, these plugs have almost 7 years and a little more than 33 K miles on them all in Plasma service.

The Plasma spark is quite a bit more energetic and intense than a "Regular spark". The Manufacturer of these, is Spark.com , I think they estimated 50 K miles of expected Plasma service life. In "Normal" service, they claim up to 200 K miles.

So with that said, when I pulled the second plug out, I noticed something unusual. The center electrode had worn all around about halfway to the tip, leaving a spherical ball shape on the end.. I'm diagnosing another issue on the car, and I had the ignition setup with an external distributor in a drill, with it's magnetic pickup leads connected to the GM HEI module I use. I took out the regular spark plug that was in a test coil wire, and put in this worn torquemaster. I turned it all on, and spun the ext. distributor just to see the sparks produced by the torquemaster.

It isn't a Plasma spark, (Plasma gear is removed) but the bright blue/white sparks still jumped the huge gap inherent in the T-Master design.The sparks danced merrily 'round, touching all around the ground ring surrounding the center So these plugs are still OK.

Helping the resulting sparks is the fact that this engine wears the Granatelli MPG Plus Zero resistance plug wires, and these T- Masters are non-resistor. You want as little resistance as possible for Plasma Ignition and this wire set and these plugs are leftover legacy of that Plasma build 7 years ago.

I just thought those interested in Ignition stuff might find these pics interesting!
(they have a hint of the look of the never-available and much ballyhooe'd Krupa firestorm Spark Plugs!):woohoo:

Maybe this could mean the Torquemasters get better with miles on 'em?:huh:
I was thinking before I pulled 'em that I ought to get some new plugs, but NOT after what I saw in the test!:evil:

Tracy G.

Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Torquemaster spark plugs, 7 years on 29 May 2021 09:20 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I've the Torquemasters by Extremespark.com in my daily driver too, but for double the miles at least and without the murakami plasma setup...

and if I may, Tracy, clarify something: we want as little resistance as possible for EVERY ignition between the secondary of the coil and the spark gap itself for the best, strongest, most reliable way to light off the mixture under compression in the cylinder, so that it burns evenly, completely. that's a large part of achieving and optimizing engine efficiency/low emissions and power from the amount of fuel delivered.

I've been tempted to pull one and check it out, but since I've no issues, it's probably best to leave well enough alone until I do...but I'm guessing I'm probably not going to have to - they might outlive the body and its rust-cancer based on this!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Torquemaster spark plugs, 7 years on 29 May 2021 18:26 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Yes, Greg, we indeed want the lowest practical/possible resistance from the coil secondary output, to the plug firing tip. That's what I have on Subie. Zero resistance Granateli plug wires, and non-resistor Torquemaster plugs.

This way as you know, virtually all of the coil's output is put to work, making the hottest spark the setup can deliver. t's as obvious as the sunrise, to me. But then, I got Dr.Jacobs' Ignition Secrets book over 30 years ago.

If anyone wants to find these plugs, go to: Extreme Spark – spark plugs ,auto parts

For the Granatelli MPG Plus wires, just search around online I got mine thru JC Whitney.
Tracy G..
'
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Andrew Leyva

Torquemaster spark plugs, 7 years on 30 May 2021 12:11 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I called Granatelli directly for mine, and they had to make them for me because what fits my car isn't a normally-stocked set. because I had to wait, they gave me a smidge of a discount IIRC
I'm sure they'll be happy to help you too, if you can't find wires for yours in their product listing, friends.
these wires and plugs have paid for themselves many times over in fuel savings, along with the groove.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Leyva

Torquemaster spark plugs, 7 years on 18 Oct 2021 12:01 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Folks - I had need to pull my TorqueMaster plugs the other day, and I'm here to add to TracyG's testimony to their longevity:

My daily driver, who I call Wendy, developed a misfire. After looking through my records, I discovered that I've been driving with these plugs and the Granatelli wires on my stock ignition coil for the past 4+ yrs/almost 100k miles. Most spark plugs and wires need to be replaced at this point.
This was not the case for Wendy and I: the plugs just needed some maintenance to take the carbon off them, as the electrodes demonstrated no sign of wear, and the resistance tested below 5kOhms, which is how they came. They shined up to like-new VERY easily.
and the wires - well, they're special too, it seems - after millions or billions or trillions of spark events, each of them measured at the zero ohms they're supposed to as well (or close enough to it that I don't have a sensitive enough meter to read them).
This ignition will outlast the body of this 14-yr old rust belt daily driver, I'm certain of it.
Tracy knows his stuff when it comes to this. I can't thank him enough for the recommendations. You will too if you act on his advice.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: