Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE SIZE is the order to post in this forum.
It should be like this:
2002 Chevy 1500 5.3
Then, put your report in as the message. That way, EVERYONE can see how successful you've been!

TOPIC: No Mileage Change? New Approach

No Mileage Change? New Approach 10 Sep 2019 11:04 #13

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
The tips page there has a lot of good info to process.

I'll google westers garage.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No Mileage Change? New Approach 12 Sep 2019 15:58 #14

• Rydal
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 2
2013 ford fiesta 1.6 engine, installed the groove according to Ron, good power increase no increase in gas mileage in fact I think I lost a mile or two. No pcv valve on this car but vacuum from valve cover to intake air box , plugged vacuum and vented valve cover./ I think car came from calif and I live in Kansas where they put alot of alcohol in the gas. Seen Ron's post on no mileage increase. Thanks hope this problem can be fixed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

No Mileage Change? New Approach 05 Oct 2019 01:43 #15

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
2005 chevy suburban, in Canada, bought grooved throttle body from Ron, was at 17.7 L per 100 km when I started, gas consumption went to about 18.8.... yes it has more power... Ron suggested that i do a few things, gap the plugs which i did, the dealer says they should be gapped at 45 thousandths, the ngk double platinum plugs i bought two months before came pre gapped at 40 thousandths, i plugged in a spareplug and couldn't see any difference all the way up to 90 thousandths.... seemed outrageous to me, but tried it, runs totally awesome and accelerates better...... Also capped the pcv valve.... removed the intake and replaced the gasket, did the knock sensors and wires, cause I was there.... changed the exhaust manifolds and gaskets, a couple studs were broken, so dealt with that. Actually wrapped the manifolds with that exhaust wrap too.... 6 months before this I installed a new magnaflow y pipe, tail pipe and muffler, oxygen sensors, plugs, wires, even cleaned the throttle body with seafoam spray and seafoam tank additive..... plus replaced the power steering pump, belt tensioner, had a high pitched wine that drove me nuts for a while, but none of this improved the mileage here either..... then I tried the volo computer tuning chip, mileage stayed around 18.8, after 6 months or so I decided to remove that, and now today oct 4, 2019 it's at 17.8 L per 100 km.... working it out with liters and kms, puts it between 18 to 20 L per 100 km, which is really where it's been since the start.....eccept once in a while it spikes to 22.... not sure why. Hopefully I haven't missed anything.

Last point, i also have a 2002 Chevy astro van, almost identical results, with same mods... except I did wrap its y pipe with exhaust wrap.

Then I bought a small car, to save gas money, right. Just another expense!

I said to my son the other day, Canada's government has it all wrong, trying to get us to convert to electric cars, all we need to do is correct what we currently have, so they are more efficient!

Help is good, I definitely gave up for a while... I don't know what else to do... I believe there is a solution, that's why I am posting this comment. Thanks! Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Michael Lee

Last edit: by Steve Goosney.

No Mileage Change? New Approach 06 Oct 2019 00:43 #16

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Been reading a bit... efie mod.... isn't this similar to using the volo computer chip? Thanks

No Mileage Change? New Approach 06 Oct 2019 16:37 #17

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Greetings from Niagara Wine country, Steve!
Are you familiar with Rube Goldberg and his inventions? The Volo system is a lot like one of those, and then you have to splice it on to a computer that's orchestrating it's own circus. the Eagle Research EFIE is significantly more elegant in its simplicity, and that's reflected in its price.
I kick myself for not documenting my install.
If you've 2 upstream o2 sensors, you'll need 2 of them.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

No Mileage Change? New Approach 10 Oct 2019 01:07 #18

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hi Greg! A canuck! Thanks for your imput. As mentioned I have two volo chips but removed both since they increased my gas consumption instead of decreasing. I have ordered four efie's in total, two for each of my vehicals and will install them once they arrive and maybe I'll try the volo's after I see what the efie's do with the groove and all the other changes I mentioned. What's your and Ron's thoughts on the hyzor device mentioned on eagle research's site? That might be a few years down the road, but definitely looking forward to exciting news once these things are operational. Thanks Steve

No Mileage Change? New Approach 10 Oct 2019 08:35 #19

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
(I get excited at finding fellow Canadians online, too, Steve)...
You'll get better results with EFIE in a LOT less time. Volos will end up in a drawer or on a shelf.
I've met George. A super nice and Very interesting person, his home/office/shop (in Canada) is a 25 minute drive from me. I've asked him about HyZor, and he'll happily sell you one and support you in getting it configured, but he's been much more encouraging (to me) to put on a water vapor "injection" system. I've pondered George's motives, and the only thing I can come up with is that HHO works best on a decarbonized engine, or that even a bit of HHO can be a shock to the computers unless it has been "prepared" to accept running with an increased amount.
Perhaps Ron can comment on this - as I recall, he did some stuff with HHO a long while ago.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK.

No Mileage Change? New Approach 19 Oct 2019 10:25 #20

• Preston
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 19
Ron, those Canadian filters you activated for the forum don't seem to be working. Somehow at least two were still able to post. :)

In all seriousness I fully believe the EFIE is going to be a valuable too to work with the Groove. These will help the computer to increase our mileage. Right now computers are working against us.

One EFIE per O2 Sensor, Turns out the brainiacs at Toyota decided to put 4 O2 sensors on their 2005 Sienna vans. Guess I'll need to order more EFIEs.

No Mileage Change? New Approach 19 Oct 2019 11:06 #21

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Just the upstream sensors, so you’ll only need 2 in total for that Toyota.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how effective it has been in the ~6 months I’ve had mine on, and wish I hadn’t procrastinated (it took me a year to make the time to get it done)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Preston

No Mileage Change? New Approach 22 Oct 2019 21:42 #22

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 104
Yep! Procrastination seems to be the word of the day for the EFIE! ...At least for my truck!!

I was wondering if any one has heard of Performance Electronics? I don’t know how I came across this, but they have programmable ECU’s. I’m wondering if this could be the answer to our problems?? Only downside is they are very expensive.

http: //pe-ltd.com

I’m on the go, so didn’t take an in-depth look to see if it’s what we’re looking for....

Performance Electronics | Where Fire Meets Fuel
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Andrew Leyva.

No Mileage Change? New Approach 11 Nov 2019 15:22 #23

• Simon Burdett
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4
2003 Volvo XC90 petrol 2.5, 3rd fill up using 98 octane, travelled about 600 kms, fuel economy is WORSE!

No Mileage Change? New Approach 12 Nov 2019 12:45 #24

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Simon - please keep reports on your vehicle contained to your vehicle's thread on this forum.
We're juggling a bunch of things day-to-day, and unless we can easily refer back to where you're at in the process, we can't really offer you constructive input to resolve your problem.
that said, I'm sticking with my assertion that you need to help the computer cope with the sensor inputs: If the o2 sensor is seeing a rich oxygen content, as it should from improved combustion, it WILL open up the injector pulse duration and deliver more fuel. An EFIE will allow you to take better control of that.
Further, and especially because you have a turbo, I'd expect the readings the MAP is sending your computer (remember, the groove changes the dynamics within the intake manifold fairly significantly) is causing these results, so it's probably best to have a look at that as well, so that you can get "in the zone" and then you can further adjust/fine tune what happens downstream.

Further, when you say worse, can you show us just how much with results from a fuel tracker app, or are you just going by the dashboard readout? Heck, even a pencil/pen and paper record of odometer readings at fill-up would be fine. I'll probably be the one helping you with the L/100km rather than MPG, seeing as I'm one of the few metric-versed people here.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA