Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove!

Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 15 Feb 2012 04:16 #1

• Drew4ster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Its awesome to finally be apart of the gadgetman land! I just recieve my personal license kit yesterday, and have already started on a project. I wanted to post sooner, but I was having internet trouble. My first project is an 8 passanger, 1/2 ton van-95 Ford Chatteau. It has a 5.8 L engine and a dual port TB. The TB was a pain to get at. I should have started on the car first. Oh well, I already have the TB out. Their was a lot of carbon build up. I haved it all cleaned now and just about ready for the groove here in the next day or two. Any suggestions or comments for a newbie would be greatly appreciated, but I did have two main questions. First what are some good brands of rotary tools to get to do the groove? and Does the throttle/idle srew need to be turned all the way out? or do you do the groove where the idle screw holds the plate at? the plate is pretty well closed, it might move a little more if i back out the screw. I hope to post pictures tomorrow. Oh yes!...almost forgot...I'm still a little lost with how to reroute the PVC valve or even what it really is. I don't want to cap off the wrong hose!:S Thanks for your time and any suggestions.
Have a gr8 day!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 15 Feb 2012 09:51 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the team.

What will give you the most advantage is to read all the Documents here on the web site, browse through the forum entries and soak in as much as you can. Also, on Youtube are the Gadgetman Groove channels, lots of information there too.

As far as tools

Dremel 4000 rotary would be the best bet. More torque than the 300.
If it is more comfortable for you, get the flex shaft that mates up with either of the above tools. I find it much easier to handle than the Dremel itself.

Also get yourself a vacuum line tester if you don't already have one.

An OBD II scanner will come in handy on newer vehicles

On the idle screw, yes, close the plate completely. When you reset the idle the plate will open to the edge of the groove.

Here's your PCV valve

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Last edit: by TacomaKarl. Reason: More info

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 15 Feb 2012 12:47 #3

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Welcome to gadgetmanland.
If possible fill your tank and drive gently for a few miles before you groove your car note the miles then fill your tank again note the amount off gas you can fit in tank. Repeat this mpg test after groove . This is valubale info for sceptic people. You shuld have good results as the gas will vapurise more when travelling with the groove winds. Looking forwards to follow your progress. Best wishes from sweden

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 15 Feb 2012 21:07 #4

• Drew4ster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the replies. Here are some of the pics of the van and project so far. The TB is out and cleaned. Can u guys tell which line is the PVC? Thanks.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by .

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 15 Feb 2012 21:17 #5

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Andrew,

If you use the link in my earlier post, that is to a Youtube video where the gentleman is actually showing the route and location of the PCV.

The short version is, left side of the engine (passenger side) to the back, down below the valve cover. The hose actually routes across to the drivers side and forward which is wheree you can deal with it.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 15 Feb 2012 21:49 #6

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I've made some notes for your TB on the Idle Air Control

It looks like the throttle plates open from the bottom. If they do open from the bottom then it will just be a matter of reducing the airway from the IAC to a 1/8" dia. hole. If you remove the IAC from the TB you can fill the hole with JB Qwik and drill a 1/8" hole through it. (this also depends on how the IAC functions, physically).

If the throttle plates open towards the idle air pathways ( A & B )then they will need to be rerouted.

Piece of cake... :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: by TacomaKarl.

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 16 Feb 2012 01:40 #7

• Drew4ster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
At TacomaKarl- Thanks for that link and the help on the PVC. I'm a little lost on that IAC part and getting the 1/8" hole. Why am i reducing the IAC to a 1/8" hole? Oh yes, the throttle plates do open from the bottom. I also have two holes (see picture)in that Air control port.

The bottom arrow pionts at a smaller hole that leads out to a black hose on the bottom of the TB.

The top hole leads to what u called the IAC. What does that bottom hole do and do I need to do anything to it? Thanks for your time. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Last edit: by Drew4ster. Reason: picture did not load

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 16 Feb 2012 01:51 #8

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
By reducing the size of the airway, your basically throttling back the IAC to prevent an excess amount of air from bypassing the groove and helping to maintain the level of vacuum in the manifold.

The other hole I am not sure about, whoever the engine designers were, keeping it simple was not in their forte'. :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 16 Feb 2012 02:04 #9

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
What plugs into that hose and where does it go to?

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 16 Feb 2012 03:49 #10

• Drew4ster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
so just to be sure...:)....is this the hole i fill in? this is the bottom of the IAC. Shuld be that hole with the arrow right?

Here is a pic of the top of the IAC

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 16 Feb 2012 04:02 #11

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You want to fill the hole on the TB that mates up with that one. That way if for whatever reason you have to replace the IAC it would be a direct replacement without any additional work involved.

An alternative to filling the hole and drilling it out would be to make a gasket out of flashing for the IAC. Make the intake hole standard size and drill the 1/8" hole in the output side of the gasket. :)

Flashing,copper sheet, any thin metal you can work with easily will suffice.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Re: Hi Everyone! Going to try to do my first groove! 16 Feb 2012 04:03 #12

• Drew4ster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I just went and checked what that one line on the bottom hooks up to. Its a vacuum line...is that good? That means air is coming in the top from the IAC and some of it is being sucked back out again I guess. Does that sound right?

• Page: