Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: I'm new to this

Re: I'm new to this 08 Mar 2012 00:50 #13

• eddievl52
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok great...... thanks for the help :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: I'm new to this 08 Mar 2012 01:04 #14

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Eddie,

Check out this page, it will give you the information you need to get you going in the right direction

There is a lot of information in several different formats that will also help with doing your first groove.

There is an abundance of information here in the forum pages and the 'documents' section under the 'Gadgetman land' tab

Another resource is Youtube, you can search for 'Gadgetman' which will pull up several channels or go to the GadgetmanGlobal channel which also has others listed.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Re: I'm new to this 2009 ford f150 15 Mar 2012 18:03 #15

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
post your fuel trims and find out if this is direct injection engine as they will not work when the fuel is sprayed into the cylinder instead of intake call me dan 660 229 4871 gadgetman mo.

Dan, this is not exactly true. It depends on the timing of the fuel delivery. If the fuel is delivered at the beginning of the intake stroke, it won't matter a hoot in a holler. The Groove will still perform its function. Plus, Scott is a newby, and needs all the help he can get as he seems to be having difficulty finding what he needs.

Ron

Last edit: by . Reason: Correction

Re: I'm new to this 2009 ford f150 15 Mar 2012 20:20 #16

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Whoa there... Slow down a little bit, tiger!

Why don't you cap off the PCV valve and reconnect the breather tube before you get all negative? That behavior is not permitted here and if you bother to look at all the modifications you will see that it is totally unwarranted.

You and everyone else here knows to keep it positive or it goes bye-bye.

Your post as well as this reply will shortly.

Ron

Re: I'm new to this 2009 ford f150 15 Mar 2012 20:42 #17

• Schetawe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sorry for that just got frustrated about it the pcv is capped of I'll try that for a couple of days. But after a test drive and watching my instant mpg it might have went up 1 point But I'll give it a try

Re: I'm new to this 2009 ford f150 15 Mar 2012 22:29 #18

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Scott,

Any additional information you can post on the "What" you did and "How" you got there, will be a big help in figuring out anything that may resolve your dilemma.

Pictures help a lot, even from a cell phone camera.

Since you have an '09, it is probably a fly-by-wire and if the venturi is a straight bore Ron's business card method would have positioned the throttle plate properly for the groove.

If the venturi has what I refer to as a contoured shape, ie: the walls follow the shape of the throttle plate until the plate reaches a point of opening up, then you would have needed to use an OBDII scanner to read the Throttle Plate "TP%" idle position while the engine was warmed up and running.

Once you had that data you would have manually positioned the throttle plate to match that reading by monitoring the OBDII scanner and marking the wall to reference the idle position for the groove.

Checking the TB for any wall leaks is important as well, a few of us have experienced that little detail.

Needless to say, a good vacuum is the grooves best friend.

If all this makes sense and reflects what you've already done then I would echo what Ron has told me... check your work... I did... he was right.

I've grooved my generator, lawnmower and my Hyundai and after doing some "lab-style" testing on my generator, found that what I thought was a good job on the groove could have been better. After going back and "Making sure" the groove was "full and complete" I reran my test and got the results that one would expect from a proper groove install.

You want to remind yourself as you go that doing the groove "properly" is a learning experience in itself... patience is a very helpful tool in that regard and you'll have a number of "ah-ha" moments along the way.

Take the time, pull the TB and go over it again making sure the bit has gotten to the depth and angle that it should. Check for any possible leaks (wall breaks) and vacuum lines. One never knows, with the materials they use these days you could have a crack in a plastic line that would normally go unnoticed.

We're all here

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Re: I'm new to this 2009 ford f150 16 Mar 2012 00:51 #19

• Schetawe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the help

Re: I'm new to this 2009 ford f150 16 Mar 2012 13:27 #20

• Schetawe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have done the groove and capped the pcv off I put a programmer on it
The programmer took it up from 17mpg to 20mpg when I capped the pcv off the truck got more power I'll test the mpg today
I do this on my iPhone and can't figure out how to post pictures on here yet
Thanks for the help
Scott Searcy ar

• Page: