Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: About to do my first Groove "1994 Bmw 540I"

About to do my first Groove "1994 Bmw 540I" 08 Mar 2012 02:08 #1

• JimmyNeutron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am about to groove my 1994 BMW 540I Holden Package I am going to take my time and make sure I do a good job Is there any hint's or has any one Grooved an obd1 4.0L bmw V8
Thanks for looking

Please Log in to join the conversation.

About to do my first Groove "1994 Bmw 540I" 08 Mar 2012 03:08 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
94 is what i refer to as a dumb computer so it should train itself easy. obd1 usually learn quick I expect youll see some good gains quick If you need any help feel free to ask. Dan gadgetman mo. welcome aboard do the mods

About to do my first Groove "1994 Bmw 540I" 08 Mar 2012 03:59 #3

• JimmyNeutron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
the computer in it believe it or not is very simple and easy to manipulate I am getting 19.6-22.3 in the city just by leaning on it I am hoping with this Groove it will be able to take it to a hole another level. other than the computer tweak's and the Holden performance package "on this car just exhaust and computer set up" and I changed the computer set up so really its just better flowing exhaust and running a lil lean

About to do my first Groove "1994 Bmw 540I" 08 Mar 2012 14:10 #4

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Jimmy, welcome to gadgetmanland. This is GadgetmanNebraska Aron Cheek.:)

I was looking up your throttle body on ebay and it looks like you will have to build up the backside of the throttle body where the groove is to be cut.

You can use JB kwik before cutting the groove.

Can you send any pics to show the intake side of the throttle body?

If you can't send them by computer, please send them via cell phone. My number is 402-719-7064.

Good luck and happy grooving.

About to do my first Groove "1994 Bmw 540I" 09 Mar 2012 01:05 #5

• JimmyNeutron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I will take pictures and upload there is one other thing this car has no "pcv" valve is there another set up on this car " I dont see anything and there is no pcv in the parts list for the car"

Thanks for all the warm welcome's

About to do my first Groove "1994 Bmw 540I" 13 Mar 2012 13:03 #6

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello there. I have BMWs ('82 733, '85&'86 535is, '89 325conv, '92 m3. '95 325conv, '95&'97 740il, and I can probably help with most questions (I've been working on them myself for the past 15 years). Ron came up here to Vegas on his way to California a few weeks ago (OK, maybe more than a month ago. I'm in the process of moving up to Detroit and way the hell busy.) We did the groove on my 97 740il. I actually have been fixing all the problems on it to make the 2000+ mile drive which is why I haven't got the time to post. It's a little 4:30am and I'm forcing myself to post before I dismantle the instrument cluster to fix the pixel problem.
OK, now. Yes, JB quik needed to be used. AND.. I found out.. Do the light test in a dark room. There was 2 holes around the spring housing that weren't caught the first time. And might as well as get the $13 gasket, the way the edges of the gasket fit in their grooves doesn't make such a tight fit after it's taken apart.
As for the PVC valve. It's on the rear of the intake, approximately 5"X7" black case. There's a vacuum line coming from the fuel pressure regulator (pass. side). On my 97, a vacuum line goes to a check valve before the brake booster, because at the check valve,it also goes to the front of the intake to a "oil separator ??". On my 95, the PVC valve has a cap where this hose is.
There is also a ~1" aluminum pipe connected to the 'under-inside-that you cant see, opposite of the orange grommet, driver's side' of the PVC valve, going under the intake to the front vacuum line that is under the throttle body.
I am having idling problems after it warms up (2min) though. By dis-connecting one of the brake booster vacuum lines it goes away and smooths out. I've been trying all sorts of things (choking off the 1" bypass hoses on either side of the 'T' before the Idle control valve, covering the MAF sensor, loosening the oil dipstick)
You need to know that BMWs have a different internal vacuum system then most other engines. The engine is meant to be sealed. I'm still researching it and getting ready to call Ron for ideas.
I suggest E38.org, bimmerfest.com, and also the Bimmerforums. My '95 has the M60 4.0l, which should be the same that's in yours, My '97 has the M62 4.4l. almost totally interchangeable
Also, check this link. towards the bottom there pictures and diagrams of the components that will tell what is what. It also explains the vacuum pressure difference that I mentioned above.
How to test the BMW E39 pressure-controlled crankcase ventilation system (CCV)? | BimmerFest BMW Forum

Alright, now I'm just going to sleep, brain is fuzzy. If you have any questions or whatever, email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll give you my phone number, otherwise it's good to have more discussion on this board.
Hope this helps..
HP

• Page: