Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mazda 2500 truck

Mazda 2500 truck 06 Jul 2012 01:02 #1

• Carlos A.J.A.Z
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:whistle: Hi! Guys I'm Carlos and I'm new in the program, I'm going to do the groove and I was wandering if any of you got a few pointers, thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 06 Jul 2012 01:52 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi and Welcome, Carlos!! Not a few, tons!:cheer: First watch the DVD you got as part of your Personal Licsense, repeat 'till you feel you understand. Do look around this Site and see if any questions you have are answered. LOTS of info here. Go to Youtube.com and enter Groovy Service Bulletins to see more tech stuff about doin' the Groove;) Also on Youtube is Gadgetman Global's site--more there. So would the Mazda be your first Groove?

When I was a newbie a freind gave me 2 throttle bodies he had from early 90's Jeep 4.0 Cherokees. Simple design. I was happier trying out my new bits with my new Dremel/flexshaft on "junk" TB's and a couple junk carburetor bases. Then later on I discovered the Panavice at made it lots easier 'cause I could use both hands on the flexshft tool. Not really necessary any vice can work just preferences. Go slow, I use cutting oil or PB Blaster pen. oil in a spray can cap on my bench; I turn tool off then dip cutting end in oil frequently to lube/cool bit. On my Dremel 4000 I rarely go above 15 on the speed control wheel. Look around site read about revised bit angle, just learn what ya can, then Try it.

Everyone gets better w/ experience, like anything else! Nothing is quite like when you Groove a vehicle, put it together, then when you first drive it you feel the increased Power..:woohoo:

So tell us more about your Mazda truck, and look around the Site, I and other Gadgetmen will do our best to give ya a hand, Carlos!!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno 775 544-7692
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 06 Jul 2012 18:34 #3

• Carlos A.J.A.Z
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:) Thanks! TracyG Well its a 2.4 moto 8 sparks the same as the ford renger I mite start on it today, I heva looked at the conversation that u guys have for the last 3 months, what I don't get it is when mr Ron said the 1/8 of an inch on the idol control thats what I'm wandering of. One more thing to cap off the pvs valve to do that I need to to do it the cosest I can get it to the tb but what obout the Oder end I need to cap off too? Thanks tracyg anything will help.

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 07 Jul 2012 01:46 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi again Carlos! OK by 8 sparks do you mean 2 spark plugs per cylinder? 1/8" diameter hole for the Idle Air Control that's about reducing the amount of air volume the IAC valve can pass into the intake manifold. Idea w/that is to have more of total intake air volume pass by the throttle blade and therefore the Groove. I would wait on that detail 'till later--when you understand the IAC function better.

The PCV Valve re-route--First identify the PCV Valve. It is usually on the valve cover,or directly mounted to the intake manifold. Usually there is a hose connecting the PCV Valve to a manifold vacuum connection port on the throttle body or just downstream on the intake manifold. Next there should be a hose leading from the valve cover to the air cleaner. This is the breather hose. Its function is to admit filtered air from past the air filter element into the crankcase, usually into a nipple on the valve cover. (I'm not directly familiar w/ your engine, if you can take and post pic's it helps a LOT!;) How this stuff works is simple. Manifold vacuum draws crankcase gas, blowby, and other vapors into the intake through the PCV Valve; they get drawn into the cylinders to be burned along w/ air/fuel mixture. Fresh filtered air is drawn into the crankcase through the Breather hose so the system can "breathe".

The Groove greatly increases the vacuum level in the intake manifold during each cylinder's Intake Stroke, for a fraction of a second. Anything that reduces the Manifold Vacuum intensity will hurt the effectiveness of the Groove. Since the PCV is open nearly all the time it reduces the Vacuum strength in the Intake manifold.

To visualize PCV function do this: forget the PCV Valve a moment. Just think of the 2 hoses (PCV and Breather). They form an air flow curcuit--starting at the air filter, connecting through the crankcase, then out of the crankcase to the intake manifold. That air flow is SOME of the air going into the engine along w/ air past the Throttle Blade and air through the IAC valve. Manifold vacuum exists because there is a restriction in the air flow past the throttle blade.

If we cause more of the total airflow into the engine to go past the throttle blade, that air goes through the Groove, and the Groove effect is increased a LOT!!

So, Step 1: find PCV Valve, remove hose, put cap securely over PCV Valve.
Step 2: locate Breather hose.
Step 3: Re-route hose pulled off PCV Valve, find a place to join/tee PCV hose into Breather hose. Obtain necessary tees, caps, connectors and hose. Replace ANY hard/brittle/stiff/oil soaked/rotten or otherwise bad hose.
Step 4: connect PCV and Breather hose; pay attention so nothing touches moving or hot parts.

Result; your engine crankcase still can breathe--any blowby/crankcase vapors will now flow into the engine through the breather hose at the air cleaner. and the Groove works Much Better! Dont just pull hoses off and start capping or plugging things unless you understand this part of the Mod!!;)

Carlos, I hope this helps you! Keep coming back w/ any questions, pic's help tons, let us know how it goes!! Have a Great one!:P
TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 07 Jul 2012 03:24 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi again, Carlos! I made one mistake when I described re-routing the PCV hose. What needs capped off is the VACUUM PORT the PCV hose connects to. I was thinking of my Subaru when I wrote that; the PCV valve is screwed into the Intake manifold on that car. So, on the Subie, thePCV Valve IS the vacuum port. So for you (and everyone else) if the PCV Valve is on the valve cover, inline in the hose, anyplace but attached direct to the intake manifold, just leave it in place.

Cap the fitting/tube on the Intake where the PCV valve hose was attached, then connect the PCV Valve hose to the Breather hose as described in last post.:unsure: :P

Thanks, TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 07 Jul 2012 04:11 #6

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
ONE "Thank You" for being here, and ONE Karma for asking for advice.

A burden shared makes all stronger who share it.

Thanks, Carlos!

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 07 Jul 2012 06:44 #7

• Carlos A.J.A.Z
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:) U r correct on the 2 spark plug per cylinder , I locate the Pcv valve and the breather line I will re locate the Pcv line and plag the other end, thanks tracyG for all the info, it did helPed alot, thanks Carlos

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 15 Jul 2012 13:32 #8

• Carlos A.J.A.Z
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi! Again I did it all just like I was indicate but no inprufments on millas i gas up the truck put in 14gallons and 290mlls latter gas tank was empty so i get 20.7 per gallon it felt alitle power but thats about it, i tryed to copy some pics from the TB but some how cant do it, any advice will be welcon still searching still have hope! Thanks to all of you! Carlos A.J.A.Z :(

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 17 Jul 2012 07:10 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Carlos. Give us some details about you Groove mod. What size bit? Did you angle the bit up between 22-30 degrees from the throttle bore? Any PCV re-routing done? Anything else??

I'm no computer nerd, but w/ my digital camera I load the pics into My Pictures in the My documents area of the computer. Then when I post to the forum there is a box at the bottom left side of the page where you see what you are typing. It says Attachments. you click on the Add File box that opens a menu of what to attach I go into My Pictures using thumbnail views of each pic, and click on a pic. The pic's computer description appears in the open rectangle box. If thats the one you want, you click once on Add File and it is attached into your posting.

Keep trying w/ pics, tell us details and questions so we can help!!:)

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 18 Jul 2012 07:13 #10

• Carlos A.J.A.Z
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi!TracyG I did used the big bit. the training video saided to get the bit against the thottle plate then go strait downand, about the 22-30 degrees don't know anything can you explain more about it, I try to post some pic I hope did it right
I conect the breather to pcv vale, and on the idol control pasege its at 7 oclock where the groove gos hope my writing is understandable:)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Carlos A.J.A.Z.

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 18 Jul 2012 09:38 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hey Carlos, that's a decent looking groove you cut there! Looks cleaner that some I've done. Thanks for pic's they help lots!

It's a good time to do reading and thinkin' here. As you read this look at top left of this page it says Index in black. Click Index, go to Service Bulletins. The one says Bit Angle New Information. On page 2 Ron makes it clear. Tomorrow I'm going to take some pics to help visualize this new bit angle that has been figured out in the past few months since the first Training DVD was made.

If you would take a set of pics of just how you re-routed the PCV hose it would be great. Your pic of breather hose are you pointing to where you connected the PCV hose?

TracyG Gadgetman REno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Mazda 2500 truck 18 Jul 2012 18:16 #12

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Carlos,

If you could post a couple of pictures showing the TB and the area around it could it would be a help.

Even though the TB is a cabled throttle, I'm wondering if there is an Idle Air Control valve someplace. My 1999 Hyundai is cabled but it still has an IAC seperate from the TB.

Groove looks good, also one of the Service bulletins talks about vacuum leaks. Basically anything that reduces the vacuum level in the manifold will reduce the mpg effect of the groove.

Good stuff,

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

• Page: