Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: regroove 1991 vn commodore (v6 380buick) automatic

regroove 1991 vn commodore (v6 380buick) automatic 02 Sep 2011 07:45 #1

• samperth
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Guys,
I have just finished a regroove with the new bit.
I had talked to Ron on Skype on Monday and he met the family then.
I had previously thought I had done a great job on getting as close as possible to the groove without having the actual proper bit.
Ron said "no, you might get a bit of power but there won't be any fuel savings" or something like that.
I filled the old groove with araldite epoxy mixed with TB shavings and then I smoothed it back to the original shape.
With the new bit on an extension it was pretty easy to groove it.
I rerouted air pathway to be over one of the butterfly valve axis with a 1/8 " bit.
I Know when I did my first groove I was heavy handed (you know, I want it NOW sort of thing) but now I know to let the tool do all the work and it will last longer.
I installed it, set the idle screw down to nothing and made sure the throttle cable was taut.
I took the car for a run .I do not have any analyzing machine so I can't give those specifics. It is now a Freak!!!
The engine sounds different when idling( more relaxed).
There is a very low rumble sound when I drive along.
I have to retrain myself on how to use the pedal cause it picks up insanely and around 70-80 kph(45-50 mph)and upward when I put my foot down just a bit, it automatically kicks down a gear and gives more bite to the acceleration.
I had previously blocked the pvc hose and increased spark gap by 20%.
My next step is to regroove my lpg/petrol TB ( I can,t seperate the lpg thingy on top of the TB ,when I have done that I will then swap the TBs over and report back.
Sorry No pics or video I will get something together later
Sam Anderson
Perth,Australia

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by samperth. Reason: wrong data given out

Re: regroove 1991 vn commodore (v6 380buick) automatic 04 Sep 2011 11:42 #2

• samperth
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have just completed the other TB. I intend just using it with LPG. The only thing I have to debug is the petrol idle is high.
I'll leave it for now as It is okay for me cause the lpg goes well. The real reason is I don't know how to even them up.
I had a problem originally with this install cause the idle on both lpg and petrol was way too high.I changed the hose at the bottom of the TB that goes to the map sensor ( there was a bit of a crack at the end of it) and I made up a thicker TB gasket out of multiple manilla folder parts cause the reroute of the idle airway pathway that I did might be leaking air because of the gasket not being thick enough.
Anyway it worked out fine so I am very happy.
Sm Anderson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: