Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2006 Hyundai Sonata gets the Groove!

2006 Hyundai Sonata gets the Groove! 19 Sep 2011 02:04 #1

• travis07010
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi everyone Travis here aka Gadgetmancentralohio. Today I performed a modification to a 06 Hyundai Sonata, it was going well until I had an issue with fast erratic idle that actually caused the vehicle's computer to go into what is called "Limp Home Mode" basicly that means the computer will shut down the throttle sensor and the gas pedal will not operate. The vehicle will idle around 1500 RPM and if you push the gas pedal you get no response, not to mention an engine light came on for the throttle position sensor.

Normally if you follow the ECU conditioning process you can get around this, however as I have learned today every vehicle is different and other measures needed to be taken to correct. First off let me tell everyone how great it was to give the man who created this process a call and have him immediately pick up and say hi Travis how can I help you! After talking with Ron I explained step by step my approach and where I was at, he was able to advise me on how to correct this issue and I was able to satisfy my customer and the results were great.

Detailed explanation of problem and steps to correct...

The TPS sensor could not calibrate due to Groove being right where the throttle plate closed even though I had it secured in place when I cut my groove. The problem with vehicles newer than 2004 is that the throttle body never actually closes off because the computer controls the idle airway position so its always slighty open. When the vehicle starts the throttle moves back slightly to learn closed position then adjusts, the Groove was allowing more air to pass by at idle than normal. Causing this whole ordeal.
Ron advised me to run back through the ECU conditioning process which I did, however on this vehicle I had not luck correcting.
Next Ron told me to fill in the Groove I cut and actually relocate it back about 1/4" so that is where I cut the new Groove.
I put back together and repeated the ECU conditioning process however right away I knew the problem was corrected.
Needless to say 2004 & newer vehicles are a bit more temperamental to modifications, not to mention the best results are documented on vehicles from 1996 - 2004
I hope this helps...
please visit my YouTube channel to see the video.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by travis07010.

Re: 2006 Hyundai Sonata gets the Groove! 20 Sep 2011 22:31 #2

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the report, Travis. Sometimes, all it needs is an additional 1/32" to be corrected. Better to learn for your self, though. Tends to be better remembered!

This is PROOF POSITIVE that Rule Number One is the solution to many problems! Gaining experience is what it's all about! When we can learn from someone ELSE that we grow DYNAMICALLY stronger!

What did you use as a spacer to begin with, and what spacer did you use for the correct location?

We could benefit from that information!

Ron

Re: 2006 Hyundai Sonata gets the Groove! 21 Sep 2011 06:10 #3

• travis07010
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am sorry about the typo in my previous post the 1/4" was not accurate I meant 1/8". Thanks Ron again for the support and I promise in the future to pay closer attention to the information I relay back.

Re: 2006 Hyundai Sonata gets the Groove! 15 Oct 2011 16:24 #4

• PeterG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello, Using the Personal License Program to modify my family vehicles, the first of which is a 96 Metro (3 cylinder). You mention following the "ECU conditioning process." This was not covered in the training DVD. Could you explain?

Thanks,

Peter

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: 2006 Hyundai Sonata gets the Groove! 15 Oct 2011 16:54 #5

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello, Peter.

I've taken thte time to fill in a Documents section that includes that information and a lot more.

Look under the Gadgetman land Tab and explore. I'm sure you'll find a bunch of answers to questions you haven't even THOUGHT of yet!

Ron

• Page: