Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.

TOPIC: '93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 11 Jul 2013 17:57 #13

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Ken that manifold looks Great! That's how I would have done it too, but I used to take grungy iron intakes to machine shops to get 'em hot-tanked. I've done my share of Manifoldectomies before. sometimes ya gotta go full-bore on details, I think you will kill several gremlins w/ this one, I look forward to more from ya! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 11 Jul 2013 22:04 #14

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
Nearly there, I just need to get the distributor to sit correctly, regroove the tbi and i'll be ready to tune. New cap/rotor/wires/coil will also be installed but i'm trying to make sure i can still reach the distributor while i'm trying to get it set into the correct teeth.

Okay, so I couldn't just stop at the intake. But its starting to take shape I think. Might have to spray the new booster when it comes in next month.

Ken

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 12 Jul 2013 00:39 #15

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
SWEEEEET Ken! you get my vote for Mr. Clean! Looks like a Million $$ And should run better as well! :woohoo: Sure is nice to get 'em that sanitary.
Granatelli MPG+ wires, JC Whitney, best ones around,actual zero resistance highest quality IMHO. If you can swing the price and can wait a bit to get 'em...

doin' great Ken!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: JUSTUS KEITH

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 13 Jul 2013 22:24 #16

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I will mark those wires down on the wish list, had to go with some basic 8mm wires I already had in the garage. But she's back up and running, idling just great at 900 rpm with the new coil/wires/cap-rotor/fuel filter/intake gaskets.

The re-groove went pretty well I think, time will tell with mpg as all i've done so far is idle her in the driveway. But nothing but hot air out of the tailpipe of a 20 year old 5.7 liter engine is probably the best part.

New Re-Groove. Forgive the permatex, this layer was removed before installation of new layer.

New MAP and EGR Re-route to manifold vacuum. All vacuum was capped on the throttle body.

Overall picture of engine bay.

Close-up of improved area.

Stay groovy, i'll update with numbers as soon as I have them.

Ken

This message has attachments images.

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 14 Jul 2013 19:24 #17

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Just Beautiful, Ken, and SAN-i-tary!! :woohoo:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 22 Jan 2015 10:39 #18

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Trying to keep everything in one thread so as to help others with similar machines.
Prior to the trouble I was seeing 18 in city and 22.5 on the hwy.

I have currently re-routed my pcv valve through a reversed air-compressor filter before it goes back to the tbi connection. This reduces the effect of the groove and kills my mileage but I was seeing oil dripping out of the dipstick. This was an issue since the dipstick is directly over the passenger side exhaust manifold. Now, i have no issues with anything being plugged so I know the vented gases are not the problem. My inline filter is catching the oil from the pcv though every time I hook it back to the passive side i get the blow-by.

Opinions from other groove members are welcomed, even if they say new engine. I checked compression with the pcv attached to the filter and all is well, I haven't had time to check it with the pcv re-routed to the passive side. The truck has 206k miles on the 350 engine, and is driven daily around 20 miles. Most frequent trip is to work, 5 miles with 8 stoplights.

Thoughts?

If I have to rebuild i'll probably go carb instead of tbi, but seeing that I don't have time for that I might just drop a new crate motor in.

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 22 Jan 2015 11:54 #19

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Ken a possible compromise to the PCV: A short piece of smaller dia. vac. hose pushed up in the PCV hose at manifold vac. end will be a restrictor. Allows stock function, at reduced flow rate. Cheap/easy to try, can restore more of vac. levels. Simple way of "tuning" PCV system. Have you tried RVS to treat this engine? It just might reduce the blowby.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 22 Jan 2015 12:45 #20

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I have not tried RVS yet Tracy, thanks for the info. 200 bucks is definitely worth a try, rather than a 2k dollar engine.

Ken

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 22 Jan 2015 12:55 #21

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
RVS- do the whole powertrain...engine, transmission, differential. I've had very positive results with my vehicle of similar mileage. And it seems to be still improving.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 23 Jan 2015 18:30 #22

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
My 1997 chev truck PCV reroute has no oil problem at all. 350 vortec 5.7 liter capped intake PCV valve connected to passenger side with Tee into air flow -- plugs are double platinum gap from .060 standard to .074 runs great

This message has attachments images.

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 23 Jan 2015 18:33 #23

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
Have applied RVS to my 1966 Duetz 6006 tractor 4 cylinder diesel 66 hp after oil change oil does not look dark any more very little smoke

'93 Silverado with 5.7 liter TBI Grooved 23 Jan 2015 23:34 #24

• EcoPete
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Love to see the pride in your work! Looks like something i would do.
I have a 92 GMC Z-71, 5.7, Haven't installed grooved TBI yet. Did a older one I had laying around,just noticed the TPS is different.Gonna make it work for my 1st Proto-type ya might say.
I've moved and don't have my shop anymore, all my tools and equipment in storage. Just got to adjust my lifters. Before I Proceed with TBI.install trying the baby steps to document effects.
I have plugged the PVC, noticed the oil drip you mentioned, Thanks you for pointing that out.
I re-gapped my plugs @.045.
They are stock delco's. Been in about 3 tank fulls since installed, noticed some had worn to .040. I will go to platinums. Will check gap IF after groove, mileage falls off.
I've been trying to work on my truck at storage unit (where all my Tools and extras are) you can guess how thats working out.
So to everybody in gadgetland... I'm slowly progressing.. I'm out of my element without my shop.
I believe in the Groove.. I will be posting about my experience soon..Till then SMILES