Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved!

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 30 Mar 2014 09:27 #1

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just grooved my Elantra, 1.8L TB. Had a 2012 and traded in for a 2013. Exact same layout as the 2011. See that post for any more info.

Also trying the aspirin mix in fuel. Will need a week or so to see how the mileage goes. Will be installing Dan's cold vapor system next. Would like to see 45mpg. Time will tell.

Jim G

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 31 Mar 2014 21:59 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi again Jim! Hey I was lookin' close at your Groove in that TB- looks good though I see a small dark spot in the right side. Could that be a bit break-thru?

Anyhow let the forum know how it goes w/ the aspirin remedy if you would? Nice to see you again!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 01 Apr 2014 16:01 #3

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy,

Yea, that's where it goes through on the TB. Built up the outside first with jb weld. This happened on my 2011 also. So I'd say that the 2011-2013 are the same. 50 mile trip home today averaged 40mpg's. Only have seen that about 3 times since I purchased the car.
Things are looking up.

Jim G

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 01 Apr 2014 18:48 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Well Good and Excellent, Jim! :woohoo:

You were on top of it for sure. So any more details, did ya do a computer relearn, etc. etc.??

good on You, bro Jim! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 02 Apr 2014 16:41 #5

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Reset all ecu's. No pcv reroute. Didn't regap plugs yet. Ran them at 10% over stock before with no problems. With these newer cars, coil over plug, You have to watch how much gap to use. Wider gap = bigger spark = more current draw, which means you're heating up the coil more. Taking one step at a time. Hope we get rid of this winter fuel mix soon!

Jim G

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 02 Apr 2014 18:50 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yeah Winter gas is the pits in many ways. Maybe Dan M. might weigh in w/his thoughts on it?

Interesting 'bout gaps w/ coil on plug ignition. IF you ever do try different plugs on your Hyundai, and see anything interesting we'd like to know. I'm using non-resist. Torquemaster's from Extreme Spark.com. Surface gap, you dont gap 'em and all stainless. Using in a Plasma spark type config. They have held up for almost a year- I think most others would have fried by now.

Onward! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 21 Apr 2014 15:57 #7

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Update! Just installed Dan Merrick's cold vapor system. Any one thinking about getting this, don't wait. Preliminary test on highway, 57mpg's. Better than I expected. Normal highway mileage is 36-38mpg. This and the groove work in harmony.

Jim ;)

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 22 Apr 2014 17:43 #8

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
130 mile run today. about 70/30 highway/city drive time. Ended up with 44.1 mpg's. Not bad with cooler temps here in Pa.

Jim

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 22 Apr 2014 21:37 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Jim G Awesome results! :woohoo:

Those are fabulous numbers, congrats on a successful implementation of Ron's and Dan's wonderful innovations! :cheer:

So no issues or problems to report? If this is your first effort you have marked out a great start, my hat's off to ya! If you can hold MPG #'s like this then you are already in pretty rarefied territory. Just getting 20% increase is not easy, even 10% takes real work. But- we have access to the most advanced technology that is actually readily applied to vehicles. The Groove and Dan's vapor tube innovation ARE a potent one-two punch as you are proving.

so Jim, how's power/driveability?

I'm a pic addict, if you can share any more pics of your install, you will greatly help all who are interested. Also- your success is extremely timely- though America sadly lacks a Manned space Program today, Gas prices are atop a Saturn V heading to the Moon! :angry:

Do share more of your adventure with us good sir!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2013 Hyundai Elantra, Grooved! 22 Apr 2014 21:45 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
OK my bad, Jim, you did Groove your previous Hyundai. Still excellent results.

Your example here can serve to guide anyone who considers improving these Hyundai's, and similar models. So- I'd invite you to further document your efforts with pic's and text. Ought to be included in appropriate areas of the Index Section, so that others might follow in your footsteps. Index has helped me in the past for sure. Thanks, Jim! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: