Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2004 chev tahoe 5.3 Lesson well learned Notice

2004 chev tahoe 5.3 Lesson well learned Notice 02 Dec 2011 01:57 #1

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Grooved the 5.3 no problem. Started the engine check engine light came on and loss of power mode. I tried to reset with the scanner no luck. I then pulled off the air snout and checked to make sure the groove looked alright and not too close to the butterfly looked fine. I then went to the relearn procedure no luck. I called Ron and asked for his advice and he said try cleaning the tps plug as hes had that do this same thing no luck. I decided to take back off and worse case refill the groove and while I had it off I noticed a small spur on the plain of the throttle body so I decided to sand this and the groove baby butt smooth. I then reinstalled the throttle body fireed it up and shazam perfect. Now for me to explain what I think happened, while I was cutting the groove I noticed the stem on my bit was bent slightly and this is what I think caused the tiny spur and I mean tiny.The butterfly didnt seem to be hitting anything but it must have, So if you run into this problem look close at the cut. I plugged the pcv at intake center and on throttle body turn down,runs like a top and customer very excited. The fuel trims before were pos 5s long term 4s short now with the groove long term neg 6 short neg 5 this means it already on its way to better mileage. Dan gadgetman Mo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 2004 chev tahoe 5.3 Lesson well learned Notice 02 Dec 2011 02:28 #2

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Dan!

Thanks for the info and congratulations! I know the setup you are dealing with - similar to the 2003 Chevy 2500 I recently did. I wonder if sanding the groove was the trick or cleaning the "spur". What do you mean by the "plain" of the TB? Almost every groove I have done has ground into the TB plate somewhat - sometimes shaving some of the plate off, but not affecting the sealing portion of the plate. You may be on to something that would help me and many of the "family members"

Scott Castleberg
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Re: 2004 chev tahoe 5.3 Lesson well learned Notice 02 Dec 2011 03:28 #3

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The plain is the exact spot where the groove starts letting the air spin the downward motion causing the first part of the dual vortex.Ron taught me to smooth back the butterfly slightly to help enhance the first vortex then as the butterfly breaks the back side of the groove the second vortex kicks the first vortex into the intake at a very high speed helping to enhance the the vacum for better vaporization.

Re: 2004 chev tahoe 5.3 Lesson well learned Notice 02 Dec 2011 19:27 #4

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
What Dan is referring to I lovingly call "Throttle Body Mod 1-B". (The Gadgetman Groove is 1-A on the patent paperwork.)

This is not my design, but rather an old trick some NASCAR junkies use to squeeze out another 3-6 horses. It involves simply rounding the edge of the throttle plate to give it a more aerodynamic shape. This is done on the throttle plate where it passes over the Groove.

I have made a graphic in Paint that shows the correct shape. It's located in the Certified Gadgetman's Documents and is called "Throttle Plate Shaping" and can be found by clicking Welcome to Gadgetman Land! The Gadgetman Groove: The World's Best in Fuel Economy .

This is NOT to be done until AFTER The Groove has been applied. Do it first and you'll see why!

Re: 2004 chev tahoe 5.3 Lesson well learned Notice 08 Feb 2012 02:53 #5

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Update I just got word today this Tahoe is getting 18mpg on highway . This is a 4x4. Another happy customer.

Re: 2004 chev tahoe 5.3 Lesson well learned Notice 22 May 2012 13:28 #6

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
new update, customer called and said hes now getting 18 city and 21.2 hwy. Not to shabby for a 4x4 tahoe.I wonder when itll get to its peak? dan gadgetman mo

Re: 2004 chev tahoe 5.3 Lesson well learned Notice 19 Aug 2012 16:34 #7

• Treven D. Gee
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
Way to go Dan, It sure feels good knowing you have made another happy. Its contagious, Happys for everybody.

• Page: