Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: adjusting ignition on older cars

adjusting ignition on older cars 07 Feb 2012 21:28 #1

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello everbody, I was thinking as the groove provides a faster combustion by un clogging molecules so they are not clogged together results in a faster burn. It then seems logical to bring the spark closer to tdc, modern cars well when does a car become old, any way cars without a knocking sensor for automatic ignition adjustment, So for better milage, when the gas burns faster it can be ignited when piston is closer to top. Is this correct?
Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: adjusting ignition on older cars 07 Feb 2012 22:32 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Markus,

Good question, I'm not sure it would be a faster burn necessarily. If you think about a slow motion ignition of the fuel under pressure, being that it is blended better, would it not be possible that it is creating an extended pressure wave as the fuel ignites and possibly total burn time extended giving a little more efficiency in the process.

Probably the best way to determine this is to get readings before and after on a vehicle with ecu and recording the ignition timing at idle and at say, 2000 rpm.

My favorite word... "efficiency" :)

Just a thought

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Re: adjusting ignition on older cars 07 Feb 2012 23:31 #3

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I never thought about it like that, A longer burn, I beleave it wants to be shorter more complete burn, when the revs go up then if a longer burn wouldent it burn its way out the exaust. the fuel burning so slow it needs to be ignited before tdc i think couse it takes time to ignite.it then slowes the piston down a little before tdc and then once the burning kicks in it pushes it down,
If the gasoline molecules would all be free floating then it must burn faster,,hm As anything that is broken down small enoughf will burn even metal. flour is explosive when sprinkeld in the air but as a pile on a fire it burns slowly. I think the grooves reason is to make a turbulance that separetas the molecule clusters and then burns faster, acually im pritty sure, I guess i just want someone to agree, :dry: I will try it out ill move the distributor the same way the rotor inside it moves when engine is on and bring the spark a little closer to top dead center and hopefully feel the result being more power , oh god i miss the car i had before a powerfull bmw, :woohoo: :silly:

Re: adjusting ignition on older cars 07 Feb 2012 23:45 #4

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You`re still dealing with gasoline not hydrogen the timing wont change enough as it`ll be still a lax burn time. If your dealing with hydrogen the answer would be yes as there is no carbon. When we put the carbon in the mix it still needs time for the carbon to fire.

Re: adjusting ignition on older cars 07 Feb 2012 23:53 #5

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
ok. but does it burn faster?

Re: adjusting ignition on older cars 08 Feb 2012 01:20 #6

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The answer would be yes slightly. Hexane molecule will vaporize at 156degree at atmospheric pressure. at 2 atmospheres the vapor point raises to 199 degree at 5 atmospheres it goes up to 269 degree.Pressure affects the vapor point. AT 5 ATMOSPHERES, DODECANE MOLECULES VAPORIZE AT 572 DEGREE. So the answer would be yes slightly quicker. Not worth the timing change in my opinion. Under compression stroke, vapor points raise HEXANE 156 DEGREE HEPTANE 207 OCTANE 258 NONANE 303 DECANE 345 UNDECANE 374 DODECANE 425 DEGREES in F. HEXANE 1MS BURN TIME DODECANE 33 ms burn time This shows from quickest to slowest in the fuel molecule.

Last edit: by dan.

Re: adjusting ignition on older cars 08 Feb 2012 01:57 #7

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
ok interesting, The more the pressure the more temperature needed to vaporise the molecules, am i understanding that right, isnt it the other way around, exuse my unexpertice, vaporice the molecules with vacuum, and heat them up with compression. This is over my head. Trying to make sence of it. So we make the fuel easier to burn with vacuum by vaporising it, do we also vaporise it with the compression stroke? I will have to read a bit, so i dont ask too many things. Its late here and i better go to bed.
It is making my braincells jump around :)
will try to make some conclutions tomorrow. Buenas noches
Mob

Re: adjusting ignition on older cars 08 Feb 2012 02:38 #8

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You must remember we are taking the fuel through atmospheric pressure then vaccum then we pressurize it in the cylinders. If you boil water its 212 degree at atmospheric pressure, under vaccum it takes less depending on how much vaccum thats why we want to have more vaccum. Gasoline spreads when heated expanding and weakens the chains, water on the otherhand shrinks. Gasoline cold shrinks, water expands. This will give you something to think about. Under a vaccum gasoline gets colder but!!!!! it takes less heat to vaporize. Dan gadgetman Mo.

• Page: