Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
This is to post your solutions to various issues such as re-routing idle air pathways, location of PCV Connections, and anything else that benefits The Gadgetman Groove modification.
  • Page:

TOPIC: EVAP & Emissions systems short course

EVAP & Emissions systems short course 12 Feb 2012 23:05 #1

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi all in GadgetmanLand!

Well, with some recent findings on the effect of evap & emissions systems on an engines vac system, I thought I'd find out how it works - from a GM platform. Other manufactures will probably be similar.

The evaporative emission(EVAP) controls system limits fuel vapors from escaping in to the atmosphere. Fuel vapors are allowed to move from the fuel tank, due to pressure in the tank, through the vapor pipe, into the EVAP canister. Carbon in the canister absorbs & stores the fuel vapors. Excess pressure is vented through the vent line & EVAP canister vent solenoid valve to atmosphere. The EVAP canister stores fuel vapors untill the engine is able to use them. At the appropriate time, the control module will command the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve ON, or "open", allowing engie vacuum to be applied to the EVAP canister. With the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve off, or "open", fresh aire will be drawn through the solenoid valve and vent line to the EVAP canister. Fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling fuel vapors from the carbon. The air/fuel vapor mixture continues through the EVAP purge pipe and EVAP canister purge solenoid valve in the intake manifold.

The above "short course" is obviously canned, but gives you some idea of the process. This process will happen as you are driving down the road, determined by the ECM. If the system does not see proper vac when it's supposed to, codes will set. Likewise, when pressure is checked and found to be lacking, codes will set. Usually the Purge solenoid or Vent solenoid valve are at fault. But on older, rusty cars, rusty pipes and fuel fill necks can also be at fault if they leak vapors.

Anyways, with the developments found on Micheal's 5.0 liter Explorer, I thought I'd ck on this. Hope this helps. It was a good refresher course for myself.

Keep Grooveing!

Scott Castleberg
Pellston, MI
Gadgetman Michigan
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: EVAP & Emissions systems short course 23 Mar 2012 13:06 #2

• Michael
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
After finding the large leak in evap I put the smokenator 9000 on engine. I found three
leaks, one large intake and two others. One at pcv connection the other was a small hose tee. I have all leaks addressed now I'm finding codes and the truck is running rough. trims are crazy also the air intake temp is over 100 degrees. changed the map sensor but that made things worse. work in progress.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: