Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
This is to post your solutions to various issues such as re-routing idle air pathways, location of PCV Connections, and anything else that benefits The Gadgetman Groove modification.
  • Page:

TOPIC: ASK MORE QUESTIONS BEFORE PERFORMING GROOVES

ASK MORE QUESTIONS BEFORE PERFORMING GROOVES 08 Apr 2012 15:07 #1

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
We had a customer quite a few months ago that I performed a groove on that got immediate results from the groove.

After about a month he called complaining about bad gas mileage.

I asked to please bring vehicle to me for an inspection to find out what was going on.

Two months later he brought over the vehicle to me to look at.

I forgot to tell you after the modification he told me that he unhooked his oxygen sensor (rear oxygen sensor).

I explained to him that the computer would never be able to read the oxygen and fuel ratio and he would not see results if he had it unhooked.

I recommended that he hook it back up and call me on results.

He called me 1 month later madder than a hornet that he had gotten 11.6 on a trip to Minnesota.

Again I asked him if he had hooked up the oxygen sensor, and again he told me that he had.

It was winter time and I asked him how much idle time he had on the vehicle, and he explained he only checked it on the highway miles.

We are working on a 2000 Dodge 1500 pickup with a 360 magnum engine.

Yesterday I looked over throttle body, filled in idle air passsage, and made new path for IAC.

I also reset computer overnight. Took vehicle out for a test drive, and it ran great with an increase in horsepower.

About a mile later it nearly stalled on me so I turned around and headed back to shop for more diagnosis.

It tried to stall 6 times before I got to the shop.

I figured that it acted like a bad fuel pump.

I checked pressure on fuel rail, and it was down 25 psi from where it should be.

Discussing this with customer I found out that his father and he had been discussing a fuel pump issue for the last two weeks.

A lesson to be learned to all, Ask questions about the vehicle you are working on, because the engine light did not come on when this was happening.

Another issue with this vehicle was that the oxygen sensor was not hooked up when he brought it to me.

Never trust that what you are told is true, always investigate for issues beyond the groove.

Aron Cheek GadgetmanNebraska

Please Log in to join the conversation.

ASK MORE QUESTIONS BEFORE PERFORMING GROOVES 08 Apr 2012 15:34 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Isn`t that the truth,seems like sometimes they think the groove is a fix all. We all know what to expect from the groove and everyone should understand that it is a mpg enhancer and emission cutter. Every engine is different just as we are our own individuality. Alot of people can`t comprehend this they think all engines are the same but nothing is the exact same not even the same no. computers. With this in mind thats why one hemi may get 18 and one gets 23 they all have so many different variables. happy easter dan gadgetman mo.

ASK MORE QUESTIONS BEFORE PERFORMING GROOVES 09 Apr 2012 15:23 #3

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Let this be a lesson to you. People, as a rule, have faulty memories, myself included. In their efforts to rule their lives, they sometimes delete critical details from their version of The Truth!

Ask, but DOUBLE CHECK!

Way to go, Aron!

ASK MORE QUESTIONS BEFORE PERFORMING GROOVES 10 Apr 2012 16:07 #4

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Ditto! As a mechanic, you would like to be the one asking all the questions when the customer first comes in and hopefully gather ALL the pertinent information. Don't ever assume things! Below is a case in point.

This past weekend at the Pellston Groove Event, Ron regrooved our 2002 Olds with 3.4 Liter. Road test went better, fuel trims were -3 to -10. The "check engine light" has been on - thought it was an evap leak and weak O2 heater. As I road tested with the engine temp normal, the front O2 was stable at .450 mV - no activity. Noticed I was running in OPEN LOOP after reaching operating temps. NOT GOOD for fuel economy. Reset ck engine light and road test. The front O2 sensor is weak - 220,000 miles on it. This will have a big effect on economy! I will replace both sensors when funds are available!

So, the moral of the story is, ask questions, and if possible, scan for codes and data on the road test!

Scott Castleberg
Pellston, MI
Gadgetman Michigan
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

• Page: