Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
This is to post your solutions to various issues such as re-routing idle air pathways, location of PCV Connections, and anything else that benefits The Gadgetman Groove modification.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Video added - Groove Application Technique

New Video added - Groove Application Technique 19 Aug 2012 08:54 #1

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I created a short video depicting the recommended method for cutting the Gadgetman Groove on a throttlebody.

It is available via this link only.

Let me know of any inaccuracies and I will correct and repost.

Thanks

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by . Reason: Including video

Re: New Video added - Groove Application Technique 19 Aug 2012 16:20 #2

• Treven D. Gee
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks good to me. Thanks.

Re: New Video added - Groove Application Technique 20 Aug 2012 14:32 #3

• Maina
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Karl,
I thought we were cutting the groove so it had teeth. This video seems to demonstrate a clean/ smooth floor groove.

Re: New Video added - Groove Application Technique 20 Aug 2012 15:29 #4

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Prescott,

That is correct, you want a clean / smooth cut in the groove.

Keep in mind, there are two things going on, at least from my perception, you have the direct air flow that the groove is affecting and because of the slight angle in the venturi wall there is a secondary compression effect as the air is driving towards the center of the groove. Ya don't want things in the way to disrupt the flow. :)

In Ron's early video he was very clear about that "back step" after each subsequent cut to take out the scallop.

I figured, a picture is worth a thousand words so a bunch of pictures in an animation should be my first book. :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: New Video added - Groove Application Technique 11 Jan 2013 16:46 #5

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
Thought I'd share some pics of the Groove job done for me.
Note: I have not been trained in anyway on the groove, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing at all, but my instincts tell me this could be improved. Let me know what you think.

2000 Honda Civic EX
D16y8 VTEC engine

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: New Video added - Groove Application Technique 11 Jan 2013 17:26 #6

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That port is not an issue the groove could be smoother cut the bit may need to be cleaned I prefer water as the bit cooler and have less shavings sticking to the bit.

Remember the air channels through the groove the less deviation in the air floor the better the mileage in my experience. Just remember same depth as width for the groove.

As Ron says do the mods and youll get much better.

Re: New Video added - Groove Application Technique 12 Jan 2013 06:28 #7

• Visitor
  • Visitor
As we who Groove know, to work to make The Groove LOOK better only decreases its effect.

JV, while I respect you questioning the value of the work I did for you, don't you think it would be better questioned after you tried it out-following the instructions supplied?

All here will be more than happy to tell you all I have told you, for I am the one that taught them.

Please take the time to use the throttle body first. Then, if the results are not as expected, we will all work to help determine why yours has not responded.

But you haven't got that far, have you?

One more point. Every application should have its own topic. Please follow the recommended posting methodologies so we can all be on the same page. This does NOT belong under a post talking about the proper cutting method, especially when the one who originated the technology did the work.

Don't you agree?

Re: New Video added - Groove Application Technique 12 Jan 2013 09:37 #8

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks for clarifying the groove's aesthetics in relation to performance. Like I mentioned, perhaps I was being too critical. By nature I'm a very curious and somewhat of a perfectionist/artistic personality, I tend to abscess over every possibility before I make a decisive move. I realize by posting the pics, it might have been seen as inappropriate. Sorry if that were the case. My drive for perfection forces me to ask questions that never seem to stop formulating in my mind lol. Please don't be offended.

With all that said, I have recently taken your advice and re-did the 'ECU Conditioning' procedure as written. It made even More noticeable improvements! Much more responsive, smoother, HP, torque, odorless emissions... So I'm confident there's going to be improved MPG from this point forward as well.

Thanks for all your service, support and patience!
High Respects

Re: New Video added - Groove Application Technique 13 Jan 2013 19:10 #9

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
JV, I think most of us here, and Ron in particular would agree with the idea of "questioning authority". Obviously the very work we're discussing was based on Ron doing exactly that, and such an attitude is a prerequisite for all of us doing mods, as our work is a form of questioning the experts claims about what is possible. As Ron said, he respected you questioning the work he's done. He wasn't saying he and his work are above questioning. After all, that's an essential part of the process that leads to improvements.

I don't think you should feel bad about having a questioning attitude, or questioning the work done for you, but as Ron implied, there's a sequence. I think that's more of the point. At the beginning of any endeavor, though some of us try to gather all the information possible before jumping in, there's still a lot more trust needed because you don't have the actual experience to know a from b. So first, you listen to your teacher or those who have gone before you, and out of respect for the time they've put in to their craft, you do your part to follow their advice. Then, after you have some actual experience, some skin in the game, and are not just an armchair coach, at that point your questions and inferences will be more valued because they'll be grounded in actual experience and won't seem like someone criticizing or questioning something they have no knowledge about, or someone disrespectfully nipping at the heels of those trying to help them.

That aside, some good things have come out of your question. Karl and Dan have pointed out that in addition to the direct airflow, another component of the groove is the secondary compression of air towards its center.

And Dan has let us know we can use water to lubricate while cutting. It's less toxic than oil or WD40, it's cheap and you don't have to remember to take it with you if you're modding off-site.

And it was good to hear that when you followed the ECU reconditioning process as written, you seem to have gotten some great results.

Keep us posted about the changes in your mileage!

Re: New Video added - Groove Application Technique 14 Jan 2013 00:23 #10

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Yes, I agree with all you stated. I get, perhaps too exited at times. Glad some goods things came of the questioning anyways!

• Page: