Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
This is to post your solutions to various issues such as re-routing idle air pathways, location of PCV Connections, and anything else that benefits The Gadgetman Groove modification.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Qbond for filler and building up.

Qbond for filler and building up. 21 Sep 2011 02:13 #1

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
GADGETMANNEBRASKA HERE, i WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE ALL MY GADGETMAN BROTHERS AND SISTERS TO A FILLER THAT I HAVE REPLACED JBWELD WITH.

The name of the product is Q-Bond and it works better than anything I have ever used for a filler or building up throttle bodys where the throttle body is too thin to groove with large bit.

You can find Qbond on the internet, or in some hardware stores. You will pleased with this product and the strength and it's adhering properties.

One thing I will warn you is to not get it on your throttle plate because it will adhere it to the throttle body. Careful use will end in spectaular results.

I can be reached via email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 402-719-7064 if you have any questions of how to use it. Thjer are also videos on youtube about Qbond. I will be giving my own presentation video of Qbond soon on GadgetmanNebraska1 on youtube.

Thank you and God bless you all in your Gadgetman adventure!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 23 Apr 2012 20:13 #2

• phil
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ive used this stuff for repairing gearboxes before. Its not cheap but its solid and oil/fuel resistant.

Login - ITW Performance Polymers

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 29 Apr 2012 01:06 #3

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Honesty is the best medicine and truth a wise teacher.

After filling in my friend's 2004 Ford Escape and re-grooving it last night, I reset the computer and talked to Aron Cheek about the situation. He recommended leaving the battery off all night, which I did. Today, I hooked it up and started it - idle took off to 4,000. Nothing I did calmed it down. The throttle plate appeared to be at rest, so I quickly removed the throttle body again.

The JB Weld I had installed and regrooved had come apart, causing the plate to stick open. Regrooving the throttle body with the jb weld had left only a small sliver of weld left - about 1/8" wide and deep, from plate pivot to pivot. Obviously not enough material to stay put. Aron told me about this Q Bond, and as I have a few grooves to re-do, I will get some. Based on the videos I have seen on the web, this stuff sets up fast.

Thanks Aron for the tip!

Scott Castleberg
Pellston, MI
Gadgetman Michigan
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 01 May 2012 04:54 #4

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It will be interesting to try the Q-Bond out.

My Hyundai has had the same problems, I was attesting it to an improper mix, temperatures, etc. I did have one last thought about it last night and will be testing that theory out as I type this.

The throttlebody has the preheater hoses connected to it. I am wondering if the 188F temperature is compromising the JB-Qwik.

Removed the lines from the throttlebody, they are now closed loop. :)

I have a 60 mile round trip run tomorrow up to Seattle and back, we'll see what it does this time.

I think I like the cooler air to be coming in anyway, adds to the density. We'll see. :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 01 May 2012 23:26 #5

• Scott Castleberg
  • Thank you received: 12
Found out yesterday of another filler/adhesive like Q Bond - called Rapid Fix. I don't know how the 2 compare, but price is about the same. This stuff is more expensive than JB Kwik, but sets up in less than 1 minute an appears to be more reliable than JB.

I will be getting an education in Groove filling/regrooveing soon.

Scott Castleberg
Pellston, MI
Gadgetman Michigan
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 02 May 2012 00:23 #6

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well it wasn't the temperatures.

Material just isn't bonding with the smooth surface... gonna have to get
more creative.

Was getting fantastic mileage going up to Seattle, 34miles and the needle didn't budge.

Will post a drawing later, the TB has some unique attributes.

The drawing

My take on this particular TB...

The inlet side, larger diameter going down to the throat of the venturi... nice that air compresses

Going through the venturi, past the throttle plate, the air is at a higher density.

As the air exits the venturi throat, the air has more room and decompresses, giving it the opportunity to follow the venturi wall and interact with the groove.

In this particular configuration the throttle plate does not directly engage the Groove at the lower plate angles/rpm's. As the pedal is depressed to increase the rpm's the plate begins to line up with the groove and build on the effect of the groove.

For whatever reason, this engine did not like the groove near the throttle plate and was very uncooperative about running smoothly.

By putting the groove in this position it allowed for normal throttle operation but still allowed the air to interact with the groove.

Prior to moving the groove to this position my mpg was down to 30 and the ScanGuageE was reporting an average of 18mpg. On the trip to Seattle this morning with the groove as shown above the ScanGuageE was reporting an average of 28mpg.

A thing about the ScanGuageE, it doesn't give accurate readings right away, it has to learn by your telling it what was used each time you refuel and it re-averages accordingly. I pretty much use it right now as an indicator for telling me if I am losing or gaining mpg as I am driving and depend on the fill-up to give me the real numbers.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by TacomaKarl.
  • Page: