Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
This is to post your solutions to various issues such as re-routing idle air pathways, location of PCV Connections, and anything else that benefits The Gadgetman Groove modification.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6 Vortec Groove IAC fill/ restriction

Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6 Vortec Groove IAC fill/ restriction 15 Dec 2015 23:11 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I just finished a Groove job on a Chevy Vortec 4.3 V6 for a Chevy Silverado pickup. This is for my customer and new Forum member Herbert. I'll describe in detail the Groove and the Idle Air Control fill and restriction.

First this TB has the same throttle bore diameter as the DBW 5.3 V8 Vortec, I show them side by side to compare. Seems a big TB for 4.3 Liters to me! In one of my pics you will see a darker gray band visible just above the throttle plate, this is a concave radius. So if the bit is placed flat to the blade, it has a wrong angle to cut the Groove. This meant I had to judge and elevate the Dremel some to compensate for this. This put the cutting edge of bit a few millimeters away from the plate/bore intersection, and made it a bit tricky to cut this Groove. I got my usual Cave-Man looking Groove, but I've done uglier Grooves that have given great results before.

The other thing I did here was to fill in the huge IAC air inlet duct with regular JB Weld epoxy. I took a piece of hose and put a clear shiny box tape wrap on the hose so the JB wouldn't stick to it. The hose fit snug into the IAC valve's bore that intersects with the inlet duct. This allowed to fill the duct completely in two stages. I scratched up the duct surface to promote epoxy adhesion. For the first stage I put another piece of the clear box tape across the lower half of the duct opening to give a dam to fill epoxy against, this gave a smooth finish to the lower part of the fill closely matching the bore shape. This also left a ridge of JB sticking out that I used to fill in against for the second stage. I over filled the duct above the bore walls, then used a cylinder stone in a die grinder to rough cut down the cured JB Weld. Finished by hand with fine sandpaper. Then drilled two air holes through the epoxy, aimed and connecting to the IAC valve bore.

Two reasons to do this. Ron taught to restrict but not fully block IAC air, as many IAC valves never fully close, and so act as a manifold vacuum leak. IAC is an important function, but many TB's have massive IAC passages, so I use different ways to restrict them. This TB has that huge rectangular inlet duct cast into the bore wall, I think it can disrupt the surface air flow that sticks to the bore wall, and almost over the bore center. IT's almost right over the critical center 25% of the Groove's length. By filling and drilling this duct, I'm killing 2 birds with one stone.

You can see where I back filled w/ JB Quick in the thin area of the bore where the IAC dumps into the matching intake man. passage. The bit did break thru into the epoxy but not all the way through it. Best to back fill thin areas before Grooving, IMHO.

Tracy G.

Here's the pics:
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more stuff

Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6 Vortec Groove IAC fill/ restriction 16 Dec 2015 07:55 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I hope Herbert will post with Mileage results...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6 Vortec Groove IAC fill/ restriction 14 Jan 2016 19:51 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
No news yet from Herbert.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6 Vortec Groove IAC fill/ restriction 14 Jan 2016 21:03 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
That's unfortunate, but I can understand. He's probably far from home, walking back after seeing just how far his tank will take him now
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: