Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
This is to post your solutions to various issues such as re-routing idle air pathways, location of PCV Connections, and anything else that benefits The Gadgetman Groove modification.
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to clean the EGR valve & passages (video)

How to clean the EGR valve & passages (video) 16 Apr 2019 20:25 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I just ran across this short useful video from Scotty Kilmer. He shows a cool way to clean out both the EGR valve, and the connecting passages. While this is not a method of economy enhancement, it's a cool tip on maintaining the EGR system, especially of the ECM has set a code for insufficient EGR flow.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to clean the EGR valve & passages (video) 17 Apr 2019 22:16 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Great share, Tracy!

I've seen this before, but I still wonder why he didn't shoot some carb cleaner into the carboned up feed to the manifold he drilled out and the supply side from the exhaust pipe. (you'd have to be careful with your choice of solvent on the latter, or you could possibly damage the o2 sensor and maybe the upstream Catalytic converter. My preferred brand SAYS it's safe for sensors, but...)
the WD40 is something most people wouldn't think of on the valve itself either...
and I wish the valves were all as easy as that one to access...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

How to clean the EGR valve & passages (video) 05 Sep 2021 13:19 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Here's a bump for this topic, as I recently got the dreaded P0401 code (Insufficient EGR flow).

Scotty Kilmer shows just how simple it can be, but not all EGR valves are located as accessibly. As mine is rather close to the firewall, I took to YouTube to research how much of a job it would be.
In my case, I got a little lucky (so far). Here's a video for the engine version just before mine, and the EGR setup didn't change:

Why I consider myself lucky is that I realized I didnt have to remove anything but the intake tube and the PCV (it's right above the inner manifold port behind the TB that gets gummed up).
I just propped open the throttle plate so I could access that port from one side to use a pick to get the gummy/crusty stuff out, and from above, I could squirt some carb cleaner right at where it needed to go with the red tube that comes with the can. let the chemical do its work while you button things back up, then start it up.
In my case I did this first thing in the morning, so it was a cold start after the vehicle sat overnight, and that meant that the warm-up procedure of the OBD program would occur:
My car doesn't start to listen to the O2 sensors until Coolant temp hits 55-60 degrees C, at which point it tests the Intake air temp/Mass air Flow and Manifold absolute pressure sensors. The last one, the MAP, it's operation is tested by cycling the EGR solenoids...you can hear it - it resonates through the entire exhaust like in this video where it"s triggered manually:

so until that valve is triggered, the carb clean is sitting in the passage of the manifold doing its thing, and then when the computer commands the test, the valve cycles open/closed and sucks the liquid/residue/carbon into the manifold. I had a highway drive to do that day, and no codes kicked up after I did this.
Better - I have a long downhill grade to drive on my way back - one where in the past I've been able to completely take my foot off the gas and coast at highway speed and have the instantaneous fuel economy readout on my instrument cluster read 0.0L/100km for the duration of the glide (a mile or so, give or take) - I'm assuming the throttle plate is closed and the EGR is recycling whatever is unburned in the exhaust back into the engine...well, it came back that day, after several months of it NOT showing up. (I drive that route at least 2x per week)
Better still - my fuel ecomomy has improved. this leads me to believe that EGR -contrary to some videos on youtube (mostly for diesel engines, to prevent their particulate filter from clogging up and needing maintenance) is indeed a necessary thing for modern gasoline engines for efficiency/emissions.
This Article should give everybody some things to consider, regardless of make/model/engine - If you've an EGR on a gas engine, add it to the list of periodic check/maintenance items
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Last edit: by GregK.

How to clean the EGR valve & passages (video) 05 Sep 2021 20:36 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Thanks again, Greg, for yet another helpful useful tip!:cheer: Like I sad in our side conversation, I've heard before that EGR is a help in economy. Ron, and others have talked of deleting the EGR function to help keep vacuum increased.

but, as our Texas freind proved recently, deleting EGR can easily lead to more problems than benefits. He did give it the old college try, but it just didn't work on his 5.4L Ford. Since I posted that picture series w/ his EGR cut into pieces to completely block the EGR system fom both ends, he has since replaced and restored the EGR valve, exhaust tube and all.

Anyhow, Dr. Dude, I:'m glad to hear of your success w/ cleaning the EGR passages to restore it's function! :woohoo:
Tracy G.

PS- Plus 2 Karma to you, for this great share!!
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

How to clean the EGR valve & passages (video) 06 Sep 2021 11:07 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
thank YOU for the karma, Tracy...
I like to have an understanding of things and disseminate correct information - you have to remember before I got into Grooving, I had barely changed my own oil...so if I can do it, just about anyone can, and probably better than me.
I'm happy our Texan friend reverted that change - I hope he's seeing the gains he expected. Brooks, if you check in here still and see this, could you give us an update on your journey, please?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

• Page: