Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
This is to post your solutions to various issues such as re-routing idle air pathways, location of PCV Connections, and anything else that benefits The Gadgetman Groove modification.
  • Page:

TOPIC: EGR, PCV, IAC delete for '98 Ford 5.4L

EGR, PCV, IAC delete for '98 Ford 5.4L 25 Jun 2021 17:50 #13

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Ken, the story of the Texas 5.4L Ford is evolving right now. The short version of advice I have, is keep the EGR system all in place.
Our guy in TX kinda went "whole hog" at first, and tried to completely delete the EGR. complete system. His result: big power improvement, but a loss in MPG's to go with the extra power. . :unsure:

So now, he has reinstalled the EGR system completely, and he's trying out Greg K's diagram of altering a few hoses, to see if the ECU will play ball.
Keep your eye on this thread as it evolves...
thanks!

Tracy G.
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

EGR, PCV, IAC delete for '98 Ford 5.4L 26 Jun 2021 09:40 #14

• Matthew Rivers
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 2
Tracy, I was discussing the egr issue with my service manager who worked for Chrysler for years. He said when they had issues with an egr their trick was to cut a metal plate and block off the egr while leaving the egr and all related parts in place allowing the computer to think everything was continuing to function properly. This may be an option....

Last edit: by Matthew Rivers.

EGR, PCV, IAC delete for '98 Ford 5.4L 26 Jun 2021 10:00 #15

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Matthew - the EGR defeat that we're working on for Fords of a certain vintage (yours included) is a LOT easier than removing components and installing blocking plates. The hope is that it will compliment or enhance the Groove's effect on mileage, and eliminate computer issues from a component/system that's well known to have frequent issues/failures.

Ford used the DPFE/EGR orifice tube setup for years on many engines as a pre-cursor to the MAP sensor on modern cars with motor actuated/digital Bosch-style EGR valves until the mid part of the first decade of this century- Rangers (both my 93 and my 01 had it), Tauruses and Probes with the 3.0 v6 had this, anything 5.4 v8, and possibly 4.6L v8's too. These vehicles/engines have historically responded well and quickly to getting the Groove, and now we're talking about trying to extend the gains they've been known to get.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: