Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another JB Quick alternative

Another JB Quick alternative 11 Jun 2012 04:39 #1

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi. Our local NAPA ran out of JB Kwik, but offered a similar product by Permatex called Cold Weld. Because of the potential and actual failure of JB in some cases in regards to the Gadgetman Groove, I thought that I would test it out. A cursory look on the internet seems to indicate that Cold Weld may be better.

My own simple test seems to prove that Cold Weld definitly has better gripping properties. It does have 3000 psi shear strength and a wide temperature tolerance and is meant for engine use.

My experiment: I cleaned with grease cleaner a portion of tempered plate glass, brilliantly smooth, and mixed equal volumes of both products, mixed them for the appropriate time, and applied them to the cleaned portion of the tempered glass. I just dobbed them on the glass with a wooden applicator, making sure that the surface area and height of both products were as close as I could make it. Both are 'quick' products, but I left them several hours before testing. I was interested not so much in the shear strength, but rather the adhesive strength on a smooth, smooth surface. To test, all I did was take a wide wood chisel with a very shallow, thin, ground edge, placed it on the glass up against the edge of the JB Qwik, and gave a gentle (kind of) hit with the palm of my hand about this (?) hard (very scientific, I know). The JB flicked off in one, clean piece. When I used the chisel on the Permatex, I used the same blow (again, very scientifically) and it took 3 blows to clean off the epoxy: each blow shattered approximately a third of the volume, with the remaining volume of Permatex still adhering to the plate glass.

Conclusion: my money is on Permatex Cold Weld

Luke Wickenhauser
Gadgetman Saskatchewan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Another JB Quick alternative 06 Aug 2012 06:05 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Thanks for that, Prescott. I agree here--I sure don't want anything that won't hold up against gasoline or even solvents/TB cleaners that might be sprayed down a TB or TBI/carb. bore. I think I will try the Cold Weld product next.

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Another JB Quick alternative 03 May 2013 22:23 #3

• k4bry
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Guys,
After reading this thread, I started looking for Cold Weld, but is not in stock at any store in my area. I ended up ordering 10 packages from the Bennett Auto supply close to me. They had some at a different location or warehouse.
I really like it, but it sets up very fast, I think faster than JB Quick. You need to work fast after mixing. I will plan on mixing multiple batches, depending on the amount of mix needed each time, going forward. I had to mix two batches when I filled the first groove on my 04 Corolla, when I did it over. Well worth it, when you can work it after a shorter curing period, and it's stronger, to boot.
my 2 cents

Joe Bryant
Pembroke Pines, FL

• Page: