Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.
  • Page:

TOPIC: need info on grooving old intrigue throttle body

need info on grooving old intrigue throttle body 17 May 2013 14:49 #1

• lincoln5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hi i need some info on olds intrigue throttle body butterfly opens 2 the top then theres vacum port cut out up there 2 about 1/2 inch long do i groove as much as i can thanksin advance for a respones lincoln Schmidt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

need info on grooving old intrigue throttle body 17 May 2013 19:48 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Lincoln5, give us some pics of this pup, I haven't done one of those. What year is this car? Is this your first Groove? Do show/ tell us more...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

need info on grooving old intrigue throttle body 17 May 2013 23:14 #3

• lincoln5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The butterfly moves the opposite way. It moves towards the intake at the top.
Normally we groove at the bottom because normally the butterfly moves towards
the intake at the bottom. You can see at the top there's a cutout where you
can't groove it.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

need info on grooving old intrigue throttle body 18 May 2013 03:29 #4

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Lincoln,

If you'll re-read the manual, you will find "The Groove always goes in the position where the throttle plate passes over it on the way to the engine."
The reference to "bottom" is only used as you will be Grooving it-with the bit cutting into the TB at the bottom.

That is where The Groove always goes.

I hope this helps, my friend.

Happy Grooving!

need info on grooving old intrigue throttle body 18 May 2013 18:50 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Lincoln, great pics a big help!

I have another request, can you give us a pic of the mounting flange on intake man. where this TB mounts, w/ TB off? Also one of bottom view TB w/ throttle fully closed.

Reason is I'm trying to understand the 3 nipples on this TB. Can you identify what each nipple connects to? I'm not familiar w/ this one. Kinda looks like nipples are for EVAP canister purge, PCV and...? I guess there is an opening on intake flange matching that square looking opening w/ big nipple upper right corner in pics.

The black thing w/shaft w/a pintle on end extending into TB from top side is the Idle Air Control, IAC. To optimize this TB's Groove--that rectangular opening at edge of casting just left of center below throttle blade--that opening needs sealed off w/ epoxy. The IAC needs to still function. It admits air around the closed throttle plate at idle to maintain idle RPM. IAC opens/closes pintle to vary airflow according to engine loads and conditions. AND many IAC's never fully close even off idle RPM. This functionally is same as a vacuum leak!

BUT notice this one, IAC dumps air right in area of Groove, almost at center. So the rectangular IAC port/opening needs filled in w/ epoxy, and a narrow trench cut from the IAC void around the epoxy dam, over to the axle shaft area, to add air in for idle RPM.

But I'm assuming based on what I see. IF ya give us the pics I'm requesting, and description of what these 3 nipples go to, then I will firm up my advice.

Man I need to learn how to do Graphics so I can show what takes so many words, a picture is worth 1000 words!

Lastly this one will take the Large bit, and should give Dramatic results. :woohoo:

Meantime, Lincoln, buddy STUDY the Training Manual, ans spend as much time as ya need on the Site here to get a good grasp of how Grooving is done. The technique to do a proper IAC re-route for this one is a bit sophisticated, but not that hard, once you understand the concepts.

Tracy G :)
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: