Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.
  • Page:

TOPIC: keeping this website up at all times

keeping this website up at all times 29 Jun 2015 10:45 #1

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Hello all -
I'm not sure if anyone who can do anything about this will notice this thread, but for a business built around an online community to allow the web presence it sells as the ultimate resource backing the product (in the absence of the inventor/founder) to go down in this day and age is, well, a bit suspect.

Can we - those of us who have bought licenses - get an official word from Gadgetman HQ on why the site and forums have gone down again and been down so long and what needs to happen to prevent that from happening again?

TracyG, Collette, what's the issue, and how can we help resolve it? I'm sure we'd all rather fix this problem (I'd hope so, at any rate) permanently.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

keeping this website up at all times 29 Jun 2015 14:14 #2

• ColletteThomas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Right you are Greg! I'd like to reassure all you folks out there the website is safe and sound! I've been working with the website hosting company to figure out where all the files are coming from that are bogging down our site, and maximizing our allotment. In other words, I'm going into the back end of the website, finding and deleting temporary files, caches, and spam. It seems online marketers are using some sort of strategy of filling up our space by sending nonsense emails. It's a matter of keeping the site cleaned up more often, and I've arranged with our host company to give me notice when that should happen so I can take care of it before it before it goes down. I went in much deeper this last time, and learned much.
My apologies for the downtime, but our website is much cleaner and healthier by prohibiting some of this spam/cookie/cache mishap. This doesn't mean we are an insecure site by any means. We are well protected! Please feel free to contact me at any time for any concerns or observations at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Have an awesome 4th of July! I for one am grateful everyday for this country we live in and the people who lay their lives on the line to protect it! Thank you! Collette

keeping this website up at all times 29 Jun 2015 16:28 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
This makes sense: the activity monitor at the bottom of the main forum page often says there are over 100 visitors at the site. I'd wager a good number of them are bots who are causing these troubles for you, Collette. I wonder if there are tools to protect, scripts to clean...stuff to keep the server from bogging down?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

keeping this website up at all times 29 Jun 2015 23:14 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
As the biggest blabbermouth here, I have seen the visitor count at page bottom many times-and wondered what was up. Several weeks ago the visitor count was well north of 1000. I'm sure that had to be the nefarious activity going on, hijacking bandwidth or memory etc. So thank you Collette for climbing down into the crawl space to fumigate the critters and keeping the site online!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: