Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Redneck Wrench tips!

Redneck Wrench tips! 30 Jul 2015 13:51 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
sometimes the Universe just gives you a little help along the way...

In the posting I just made re: my buddy Vance's 75 Lincoln w/ the 460 and AFB carb that Ron Hatton Grooved back in 2012- notice the unusual fender covers. Vance prides in keeping his cars clean and is a Pro aircraft detailer. We were switching cars yesterday so I could bring the Lincoln home and work on the intake manifold, ( I was about to pull the Intake Manifold and replace the intake gasket set to cure an oil leak.)

Vance was working on an old house doing paint work inside, and out back of this old vacant rental house is an open shed. As we walked past the shed I noticed a deflated air mattress and a gallon of windshield washer fluid lying in the shed floor. I picked up the air mattress, discarded by college students, and the gallon of washer fluid, as we were speaking of how I don't have any fender covers to protect the Lincoln's still-nice paint. Air matteress w/ one side w/ flocking and a hole someplace= Instant Giant Deluxe Fender covers! And a free washer bottle refill for the Subie too!

I tossed the dead airmattress in the Lincoln's trunk, and drove to the parts store and bought an Intake Manifold gasket set. Then back home in the driveway I brushed off the dirt and cut the air mattress in two w/ scissors, giving a set of non-scratching giant Fender covers. As it turned out, as I had loosened all the Intake Man. bolts/nuts, I saw that the steel Air Pump tubes at the back of the engine were going to interfere w/ pulling and re-installing the Intake man., big-time. 40-yr. old air pump tubes are notorious for being seized in place, and if broken in the attempt to pull or even loosen them, would result in an exhaust leak... :angry:

I got a flashlight and was looking 'round the back of the 460 for the oil leaks. I saw narrow oil tracks going down from around the rear corners of the engine. But not obviously from the rear top engine block/intake man. seal area...and it was going to turn into a major project just dealing w/ the air pump steel pipes to even remove the massive heavy iron intake manifold, to R/R the intake man. gasket set, to try to cure the oil leaks... :dry:

So I punted instead. I cleaned/retorqued the intake man. bolts/nuts. Snugged the loose Valve cover screws. The thermostat housing gasket was still pliable, un-damaged, and the carb. base gasket also pliable and intact. I put a thin layer of Permatex #2 gasket sealer (on hand for years) on the thermostat housing flange and gasket, and used almost a full can of el-cheapo walmart carb. cleaner (on hand) on the carb and other places. Had to replace the brittle petrified 40 yr old O-ring oil seal on the distributor body, thankfully my housemate has a big O-ring set! ;)

In the end, I got this massive Lincoln running so well we were amazed- with no $$ out of pocket, just 7 hours of my day off time. Took a good shower, returned the manifold gasket set to parts store then went to dinner w/ my excellent buddy Vance, doing a test drive along the way. B :lol: :cheer: ;) :woohoo: Big Smiles All round!

sometimes the Universe just gives ya whatcha need...!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: pics and more info

Redneck Wrench tips! 19 Aug 2015 13:19 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Continuing re: the idea of being ready and able to get things done using un-expected and unlikely "parts" and supplies...

My day job of maintenance in hotel rooms has made me into a disciple of McGuyver. I've learned to improvise, adapt and overcome. I have a pretty keen eye for examining things and imagining possibilities, for doing unusual things w unlikely stuff. I have this saying--"stuff fits".

I got into my hobby of rocket Stove building 4-5 years ago. It's been amazing. Using pots, pans, tins, barrels, drums and cans, Ive built some effective cooking equipment for outdoor cooking using free fuel lying almost everywhere. I can boil, bake, roast, fry, grill, all on stuff I've made. It's addictive. I've hunted in thrift stores and junk piles to find stuff, sometimes finding something that looks interesting, then that something has been just right for a project years later...

Also, being a drummer, I will examine things for their sound qualities, tapping then without even consciously thinking, occasionally finding good percussion sounds in metal things. This discarded copper 90 deg. elbow is really a cowbell, just I had to discover it...

This small cocoa tin is now a small woodgas stove-

This knick-nack aluminum pot and a stainless mixer cup, found together, fit so well, that with the right holes and 4 bolts added- they are now a powerful woodgas stove!

This combo of 3 barrels, along w/ too much to explain here, are now a large Rocket Oven, perfect for pizza pies and bread!

This combo of a gallon paint can, #10 restaurant food can, and a small chili can, along w/ another cut down #10 can and a pie tin, some flat steel, screws and pieces of brake line tubing, are a brand new rocket/woodgas stove...

This outdoor cooking thing all started when I saw the phrase "rocket stove" in a book. And I don't even weld. Yes, I'm showing off some :whistle: I'm just pointing out what can be done w/ some creativity and Imagination.

Stuff is everywhere, it's up to us to see possibilities!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more stuff
  • Page: