Experiments with The Groove (et al)
  • Page:

TOPIC: Computer Re-set/Re-condition

Computer Re-set/Re-condition 09 Nov 2015 15:22 #1

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
So The new to me Buick Rendezvous gifted to me by Grandad the other week needed a new battery.
I figured that a ECU/PCM re-program couldn't hurt while I was at it, since I've switched it over to 89 octane midgrade (5% ethanol) with the MPG remedy and boosted tire pressure to sidewall max and have realized gains from those two tricks...

did the whole deal - KOEO, headlights on, +ve and -ve battery wires jumpered together, brake pedal pushed...

...gents, I'm glad I did: the "instantaneous mileage" readout in the "driver info center" has improved. I just took a test run and was getting better than 30 mpg at 70 mph (7.5L/100km @ 110kph), where before it was in the 25 mpg range. I even hit 0.0L/100km on a long downhill grade drafting a FedEx transport, where before it was 2.5-3 L/100km at 100 kph(62mph) - which the Powertrain computer kept at a rock solid 100 kph (electronic transmission on this machine in addition to ECU)

it works, guys. do it if your ride has a computer or 2 like this one.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Computer Re-set/Re-condition 09 Nov 2015 18:26 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Excellent. I wonder if driveability has improved as well, throttle response, etc.? Very encouraging to see 20% gains on an '08 Buick! :cheer: ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Computer Re-set/Re-condition 09 Nov 2015 18:57 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I just took the old battery in to where I bought the new one to collect the core refund, and it seems to idle a hair lower at traffic lights, and it definitely wants to go when I take my foot off the brakes. The shift pattern has changed too, and they've gotten a bit smoother. It's probably still in a relearn phase. It might even warm up faster too...and our nights have just seriously turned towards freezing. Maybe cooler, denser autumn air has something to do with this...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Computer Re-set/Re-condition 09 Nov 2015 19:13 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
That might be the case, the Subie seems to like the cold damp weather we're getting too. Time will tell w/ the Buick, hopefully it stays to the good.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: