Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.
  • Page:

TOPIC: First groove

First groove 15 Mar 2012 14:51 #1

• Anytwo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey everyone, Anthony here...... I will be doing my first Groove this weekend, I have had the bits for almost 2 weeks now, but life happend and had to tend to other obligations, but I didn't have the dremel anyway so I'm going to buy it with this paycheck coming up. I will be moding my 1999 Nissan Pathfinder. I really need help with one thing, What do I do with the PCV ? I still don't really unerstand that whole part of the mod. Any advice would be greatly appreciate....

Anthony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: First groove 15 Mar 2012 14:58 #2

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Markus from sweden here. The pcv allows an air stream to collide with the path of the groove winds, witch leads to destrojing the turbulance created by the groove. So it has to be moved to before the tb so it does not intefer with the flow off the balls of air comming from the groove. hope this is right and clear, another example, if you make a smoke ring and want it to go as far as possible if someone is next to you blowing air on your smoke ring it breaks it.
:)

Re: First groove 15 Mar 2012 15:11 #3

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Another thing to do is to reset the computer. disconnect battery and leave ignition on over night. There is a document about this on gadgetman land 03 under documents.
Regard from Sweden

Re: First groove 15 Mar 2012 15:33 #4

• carby-tater
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
g-morning Anthony, (Dave is my name)

Basically the idea is to increase vacuum in the intake manifold before you cut your groove.

And of course as you have obviously heard... the pcv system is one of several of those emission control systems that you can "improve" with a slight modification to increase vacuum.

You probably already know that your pcv is a venting system for gases produce inside your engine that directs these gases into the intake system. ...and on modern cars it usually uses the high suction from the intake manifold to actually "eggstract" these gases from the motor and "burn" them in the intake mixture.

In a nutshell all you need to do is find the pcv hose that comes from the valve cover and re-direct it into the intake air stream "up-stream" from your throttle body instead of from it's normal "down-stream" position it is now in.

I have a Hyundai Accent with 2 pcv hoses two holes in the valve cover. One of the hoses directed gases into the intake airstream before the throttle body and the other routed gases into the airstream after the throttle body.

Basically you gotta find the hose...pull it off the intake manifold...block off the hole in the intake manifold...extend the hose to the rubber intake snorkel to somewhere in the intake system BEFORE the throttle body...install a fitting of some sort in the snorkel...and hook up the hose.

my Hyundai was easy because I already had a pcv hose running to the upstream part of my intake system.

all I did was tee the the high vacuum hose into the low vacuum hose and now they both dump into the intake stream before the throttle body.

(piece of cake)

If it's your own car and you don't care about your emissions just pull the hose off...block off the intake manifold hole and let that sucker vent to the atmosphere. (not recommended for paying customer cars)

Re: First groove 15 Mar 2012 16:48 #5

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Welcome to the Family Anthony,

All the above sound like great suggestions except you don't need to let the car set over night to reset the computer. I remove the positive and negative from the battery, short them together and turn the key to the first on position (not to the start position). Then that's it, I connect up the battery leads again. It certainly would not hurt to leave the key on and have them shorted overnight. We usually don't have the time to wait overnight, especially when doing it for a customer.

Please call me if you need a quick answer: 607.590.0391

Great to hear from you,

Nick, Gadgetman Fingerlakes of New York

Re: First groove 16 Mar 2012 00:57 #6

• Anytwo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok so what do I use to cap the PCV with? Do I run another vacuume tube and drill a hole before the TB ? I think I have to take pictures of my engine and post them on here, I'm not even sure where the PCV is on my truck. thank you all for your responses, just bare with me I'm new at this, and a really need to get this right! I really need "this" job, plaining on doing this as a business, but right now I sure as hell wouldn't hire me lol:unsure:

Re: First groove 16 Mar 2012 01:32 #7

• carby-tater
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Anthony...(dave from alabama here)

a good way to cap the pvc hole in the manifold (not the valve cover) is...

take a piece of hose 1 or two inches (same size as you took off)

then find a bolt or wooden dowel or something that fits nice and snug in the hose,...then put em together nice and tight and then stick that sucker on the intake manifold fitting that you wanna plug up!

option two involves going to the store and spending money on a rubber cap that will fit.

(piece of cake)

answer to your second question is yes... hopefully you have a rubber snorkel hose to tap into somewhere upstream of the throttle body.

A useful tip for a "free" fitting for the second application is get a bolt 1-1/2 inches long or so with threads that go all the way up to the head (find a nut that will fit it also)

then drill a hole right through the bolt (right down the middle long ways)

reach inside the snorkel and shove that sucker through the rubber so the threads show on the outside and then screw the nut on without crushing the snorkel too much.

then attach the pcv hose to it...(grind it down if its a big bolt) so the hose can fit over it and put a clamp on it!!!

(easy as pie)

p.s. What engine ya got in that thing?...VG33E V-6 maybe? 3.3 liters?

pcv valves are almost always located in the valve cover (or ALONG the hose that comes out of the valve cover)

if you post a picture of both valve covers then someone here might be able to identify it.

Last edit: by carby-tater. Reason: post script adding.

Re: First groove 18 Mar 2012 14:35 #8

• Anytwo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey there Markus, thanks that exsplains a lot, I'm going to take pics and post them on here just to mar sure I'm doing this corretly. Does a HHO system work against this groove, I have one and would like to install it after making the groove.

Thanks again Anthony

Re: First groove 18 Mar 2012 14:42 #9

• Anytwo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Big help, why is this not on the CD? Thank you very much Dave this was very helpful, I will post pics very soon just to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks again Anthony

Re: First groove 19 Mar 2012 02:21 #10

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Anthony,

To make an attempt to include every variable that exists between all the different makes, models and engines would be almost impossible if not a very intensive undertaking.

And that is why this forum exists. It would be to the advantage of anyone that has an interest in the Gadgetman Groove, as an implementor or just a curious reader, to read through all the posts involving the different vehicles/engines and side notes regarding things like the PCV valve and vacuum related data.

It is also a big help to read the documents under the 'Gadgetman Land' tab for additional understanding of the 'how and what' involved with the groove.

There are also the video's on Youtube on the GadgetmanGlobal channel.

Application of the Gadgetman Groove takes some dedicated time reviewing the groove posts and other data to get a good handle on the whole package.

Each vehicle that the groove is applied to adds additional information that can help give guidance to another gadgetman that has not experienced a particular engine configuration and having read this information gives one the added knowledge to take on a particular engine for comfortably.

If you come across a vehicle that you have questions on, posting the vehicle information, any questions and pictures of the specific areas on this forum will make it easier and faster to get those questions answered and increase the knowledge base at the same time.

WElcome aboard,

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Re: First groove 19 Mar 2012 16:26 #11

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hho shuld be fine to use with the groove, as long as your cell produces more oxigen then hydrogen, if more hydrogen is produced you will have a implotion that will make your explotion smaller, if you test to ignite some of your gas and get a loud pang instead of a yellowish slow flame , what you want is the yellow flame not the cracking implotion, by changing the poles on your cell can change this.
:)

• Page: