Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi From Montreal, Canada!

Hi From Montreal, Canada! 01 Jun 2012 19:31 #1

• Julius
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello,

I'm a 45 year old male, I've spent 23 years in IT (computers) and at the same time I'm in videography (film and edit). I'm the guy who has to research something to death before I buy it. I rarely buy on impulse.

I'm a family guy who loves God and my wife and my 3 kids. I'm not really a handyman (did I tell you I was in computers?), so if it's not in the manual, I'm lost.

Anyways, about a year ago I lost my IT job of 20.5 years, but God has been providing and I can't complain. I did have to watch what I spend.

I own a '97 Maxima, '98 Maxima and a 2010 Yaris. I try and keep my cars in the best shape I can. Keeping up with the regular maintenance and cleaning (including the IACV, TB, MAF, EGR Tube).

The '97 Max gets about 24 MPG and the '98 gets about 26. The Yaris is a new car so with 1 fill-up so far I got 32 mpg. This is all city driving...a very dense city that is!

Gas here has reached $5.60 a gallon (converted from litres) and I can't afford filling up the maximas.

I've been researching ways to improve the mpg...adding acetone,Xylene,hypermilling, covering the Oxygen sensor with foil paper,which does help 1 or 2 mpg, but nothing major.

I've looked into CNG (Compressed natural gas) which is very cheap, but I can't get that here in Montreal.

So I looked in to HHO...reading, researching, studying for weeks..it sounds like it could work, but you have to lean your engine and run it hot). So far this is my last option until I stumbled on this site.

With a barrel of oil now at about $86, gas in my area is selling at the same price when it was $150). Like everyone else, I'm tired of feeding into this greed system and there has to be a better way.

So that's my super-long intro...

Hello again!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hi From Montreal, Canada! 01 Jun 2012 19:53 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Julius,

Welcome to the forum, I've been in your same situation only a bit later in life.

A lot of years in I.T., 8 out of the last 10 years working other than I.T. and now I'm back in it as a contractor. Fortunately, I have only myself to worry about at this point.

I am also into the 'videography' aspect, more live-stream and recording and a little bit of editing as the need calls for it.

This is my Gadgetman Tacoma Youtube Channel GadgetmanTacoma - YouTube

and this is my everything else channel
kfortner51 - YouTube

Anyway, being one to analyze things you've probably watched a lot of the video's on Youtube, there are several Channels all starting with Gadgetman.

There is also a lot of information on this forum which is worth sifting through.

I am a tinkerer as well as having an interest in making things better so I don't always leave well enough alone just to learn more about how things work and can they work better.

It is a challenge and fun at the same time.

When you're ready to actually commit a vehicle to the Gadgetman Groove, all the information available will help make the difference.

Again, welcome aboard.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Last edit: by TacomaKarl.

Re: Hi From Montreal, Canada! 02 Jun 2012 01:04 #3

• Aaron Knorr
  • Personal License Holder
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Julius,

This is Aaron Knorr from Ontario, just wondering if you ever get into the Kitchener Waterloo area if so let me know and I would do a modification for you then you would have an idea what difference it makes.

Aaron Knorr
Aaron Knorr
Gadgetman Ontario

Re: Hi From Montreal, Canada! 02 Jun 2012 02:48 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Julius, Welcome to our forum! We Gadgetmen are a freindly and knowledgeable bunch;)
I'm sure Aaron Knorr can help you. In the meantime, if you feel able you might try opening up your spark plug gap(s). Just get the spec and add 20% to it. If its 0.040", re-gap at 0.048" for example. Pull your plugs one at a time only w/ cold engine. A no cost trick is to check your tire pressure. Look at the sidewall find the PSI rating spec try running at that spec--check/adjust tire press. when tires are cool. If that drives OK try adding a few lbs over the spec. My Subie has tires rated at 44 lbs I run 'em at 48. Keep on reading this forum and watch the various youtube vids. A little Groove makes a big difference!! TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Hi From Montreal, Canada! 02 Jun 2012 03:03 #5

• Julius
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Aaron for the offer, I might make the trip if I can't get anyone local.

Re: Hi From Montreal, Canada! 02 Jun 2012 03:06 #6

• Julius
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Tracy.
Yes I just learned about the gap a few hours ago reading from this site!
I also did have the PSI higher, but I wasn't comfortable with the ride, so I lower it just a tad.

Re: Hi From Montreal, Canada! 05 Jun 2012 19:48 #7

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Julius,

Welcome! Interesting concept, this, and it does work. I am very much the tinkerer and can never leave anything stock because there has to be a better way!! That's what led me here. Lots of info here. And yep, God is good!

Re: Hi From Montreal, Canada! 06 Jun 2012 12:01 #8

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am so proud of you guys, as well as what I see here.

There is no other technical forum I know of where one can mention God without getting reamed, flamed, ripped and tossed!

God IS good! And we KNOW it...

• Page: