Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2002 Ford Ka UK Model

2002 Ford Ka UK Model 04 Sep 2012 21:56 #1

• phil
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I was at a BBQ last weekend, enjoying the sun and a few burgers. Not long before someone started complaining about the price of fuel so I stepped in with my gadgetman hat on and explained what could be done.
The girl that wanted her Ka grooved managed to talk her boyfriend into removing the throttle body and doing the dirty work while I supervised from the pool.
When he was done I grabbed the dremel out the van and worked the magic.
The bit did burst thru over about a quarter of the cut but a bit of plod and a recut sorted things out nicely.
Already had one PCV line from TB to the airbox, there were 2 other vacuum lines on the front of the block behind the manifold, the tank breather also went in here on a 4-way T-piece.

Current mileage is 200 miles per tank, and the emissions were ok before except around 100ppm HC. Shes gonna get a gas test and send me the print-out and let me know how it goes with the mileage.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 2002 Ford Ka UK Model 05 Sep 2012 00:53 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Phil, that's about the coolest Groove story I've heard yet! An image of James Bond-like panache is in my mind visualizing that scene. A Double-0h number, with a Liscence to Groove...
"Brooke...Phil Brooke..."

Any idea how big the gas tank is? Never seen a Ford like this, but just looking at it I'd expect it to be 30 MPG or better stock??

Good for you, Phil!!
TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 2002 Ford Ka UK Model 1.3L 05 Sep 2012 16:57 #3

• phil
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tank capacity 40 litres, 8.8 UK gallon, 10.2 US gallon.
Stock mileage 32 MPG urban, 40 MPG highway. I found the range of a new one listed as 371 miles.

But the driver does fill up before the red light.... well actually this model doesnt have a low fuel indicator light, so the figures aren't going to be that accurate.

The Ka is a pretty basic car without all the extras, mainly teenage girls just passed their driving test have these. Its also known over here as the Ford roller-skate (see photo ha ha.)

I spoke to the driver today and asked how it was going, she said "Ive done 80 miles and the tanks nearly empty". Something didnt seem quite right so I dropped in on my way home from work and had a look. It was actually 180 miles with just over a quarter of a tank left. So shes not done the whole tank yet but early results are promising.

Re: 2002 Ford Ka UK Model 05 Sep 2012 21:21 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi again, Phil. Roller Skate sounds 'bout right! Being as it's ten years old, I'd be wondering about several things...fluids/filters, ever had spark plugs changed, tire pressure, just all round maintenance. Also O2 sensors, IAC, and the bigie, vacuum leaks!

Assuming it's a young lass driving it, she might not be real aware of any of this stuff--actually thats true of nearly EVERY driver!:lol:

You gotta figure out how much involvement to get into w/ any Groove job. The Groove isn't a fix-all of course. If she's happy, Great, but I always hold out the idea that often more attention will bring even better results!

Keep at it, Phil!!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 2002 Ford Ka UK Model 06 Sep 2012 01:19 #5

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Phil check for vac leaks as that car should be about 46 mpg with the groove.Try to send pic if you can. dan merrick

• Page: