Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi All! Mike from St. Louis, MO here.

Hi All! Mike from St. Louis, MO here. 12 Dec 2012 21:24 #1

• Mike Myers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just received my personal package in the mail and sifting through the material. Looking forward to getting started and sharing with everyone. Will probably start on our '95 Dodge Neon as my test victim.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hi All! Mike from St. Louis, MO here. 13 Dec 2012 00:03 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard.

Looking at the TB, pic's from Ebay, it's a cabled throttle and it looks like the IAC pathway is on the groove side of the venturi wall.

Depending on the thickness of that wall and whether or not you can backfill it with
JB-Qwik will determine bit size.

Looks like a gasket made of flashing will take care of the IAC and
if that pipe coming off the side is the PCV connection, you've got everything covered in one package.

That is if it looks like the pictures they posted on Ebay. :)

Don't forget to check out all the information here on the website as well as the Youtube video's, lot's of information to absorb. :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Hi All! Mike from St. Louis, MO here. 13 Dec 2012 02:00 #3

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Welcome Mike Im from sweet springs mo if you need help feel free to call 660 229 4871 Just jump right in dont be gunshy the more you do the better youll get. Rons got alot of good help out here. Whats your first project?

Re: Hi All! Mike from St. Louis, MO here. 13 Dec 2012 07:49 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Mike Welcome to Gadgetman Land! Do your study first, with info in your Personal Liscence package, as well as on this site. Ask any questions you have--the only dumb ones are the ones never asked!

If you post pics of your work (before/during/after) then other Gadgetfolk can help ya out that much more. Ron Dan and Karl are Crackerjacks all as well as many others!

Glad you are here, Welcome Aboard!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Hi All! Mike from St. Louis, MO here. 14 Dec 2012 19:36 #5

• Mike Myers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Karl,
Thanks for the welcome and advice right out of the gate! I'm guessing that "U" shaped opening is the IAC you are referring to. I'll have a look at the car and see if this is the same. Many questions are coming to mind. I'll gather everything up in a new post in the Personal License section with photos, etc.

Thanks again.

Mike Myers
St. Louis, MO

Re: Hi All! Mike from St. Louis, MO here. 14 Dec 2012 19:42 #6

• Mike Myers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you very much Dan. I'm looking at our 95 Dodge Neon as my first case. I've got the vaccum test kit on order but really need to go through on the materials to get my head around the full process. Do you start with a vaccum test before all else? From one of the PDFs this looks like step one.

Thanks,

Mike Myers
St. Louis, MO

Re: Hi All! Mike from St. Louis, MO here. 14 Dec 2012 19:49 #7

• Mike Myers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the greeting Tracy. I'll definitely gather my photos, video and questions to share and learn.

Mike Myers
St. Louis, MO

Re: Hi All! Mike from St. Louis, MO here. 15 Dec 2012 17:31 #8

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
We are all a family here, and I am glad to see this interaction.

You see, Mike? I TOLD you they were going to love you!

As to your Neon mod, there will be no issues with cutting through. The suggestion about cutting a new gasket from flashing (a soda can will do as well in a pinch) is an excellent one. Worst case scenario is the engine will not want to idle.

I recommend starting with a 1/8" hole to replace that MASSIVE opening. The vehicle may struggle to idle at first, but the computer will usually accommodate the adjustment in a few days. If, after a week, it still hasn't started idling correctly, then simply increase the diameter of the hole ever so slightly.

To give you an idea, I have reduced the opening to 1/8" and am running 5.7 L engines on that little bit of air. Yours may be the same. The only way to find out is to do it!

Just remember you can always make the hole LARGER, but making it smaller means a new gasket, so opt on the side of caution. It's a simple adjustment should the engine fail to idle.

I do recommend a thorough cleaning while the valve is off the engine to enable it to move more appropriately.

Ron

• Page: