Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.

TOPIC: seach

seach 01 Sep 2013 20:20 #1

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
Hello all the goovers
Boy this is going to be fun. Everyone helping everyone else
My first groove with my personal license will be 1997 chev 1500 pickup (wife's truck) sure hope it works for me. New motor in truck has about 2000 miles
I am retired from CSX as sheetmetal worker 34 years of service in 5 states 3 shops and last 22 years in Waycross Ga. locomotive shop while wife, retired RN, and 2 kids at home in Savannah Ga. Son now teaches computer science at Mercer U where he gradated, my girl works at home as a computer program bug catcher lol lol programers do not like her she finds the bugs
I have been looking on the site and can not find things for this truck in any one place. Is there a way to get the info for this truck in one place or a way to find things for this truck ??
I will keep looking
Gerald

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GeraldC. Reason: forgot to tell about me

seach 02 Sep 2013 21:45 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
welcome gerald, need to be specific on motor size 4x4 or not automatic or stick all you can add will help. This truck should show great gains and power.

seach 02 Sep 2013 22:07 #3

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Oh Thanks first time to post
1997 chev 1500 2 wheel drive automatic pickup 350 fuel injected with about 3000 miles on new engine and about 10,000 on new transmission (wife's truck) Truck gets about 15 mpg now.
Oh jfo I am having bad problem with rear lights not working. Started with stop lights then all rear lights did not work at all. So hook up trailer lights so could use truck until I could find problem about 2 weeks trailer lights when out !!!! So after 3 trips to mechanic to fix lights which he did fix each time but they went out again. Chev place has been no help at all not even a picture of what to look for. So now have installed a new brake light system which works, not using any thing to do with truck lights. Reworked battery connections and some more lights (inside) are working again. Front lights have no problem working

seach 02 Sep 2013 22:24 #4

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok,this is cable drive ,youll need to jb quick 2 spots on throttlebody before grooving as it will go through slightly, cut the groove as ron says in video plug pcv and the power will be very noticeable and mpg should go to about 20 to 22 on 2 wheel drives.

Dont know if you have a scanner but if so watch fuel trims head neg.cutting fuel back,dont forget to take batt terminal off while doing groove as to reset ecu for quicker learning.

Happy grooving !!!!!!!!!!!! Dan merrick

seach 03 Sep 2013 07:46 #5

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
Gerald,

Those lights are horrible, I finally had to get new boards in the back that the lights plug into to fix my problem with them. This isn't too uncommon for the mid 90's trucks.

Great Truck for the groove though, you'll love it.

Ken

seach 05 Sep 2013 10:45 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564

Hi Gerald welcome to Gadgetmanland! Not certain, but your Chevy might be like GM Tim's wife's suburban, check out the thread above. If the O2 sensors in yours are original/over 50 K miles I'd just replace 'em. Tim's suburban was stubborn so read thru the whole thread and pic's. I think yours is a great Groove candidate w// fresh motor and being 2WD.

Pic's really help everyone so if you can take 'em we would Love that!

Tracy G

PS I went to the Index then the area of list's of Mfg's clicked on GM and brought up this thread.

PS S Wish you were in Reno Gerald you could help w/ a project I'm building your metal fab. knowledge would be invaluable! Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: forgot somthin as usual

seach 07 Sep 2013 19:56 #7

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
well Thanks Tracy G if I were closer would help with project no problem
Hope to groove 1997 chev pickup soon just need gaskets to come in to parts store light problem still goes and comes back but different now-- I did take off battery wires, clean posts, wire ends and cable ends has made a difference -- going the check grounds next !! Will be gaping plugs all so --
if my picture avatar shows up will do it soon -- rebuild log splitter build in 1979 rebuild now from 6 ton to 37 ton

:unsure: report on brake lights -- pull both tail lights checked bulb broads with meter all but brake lights had current -- replaced 2 bulbs -- turn lights , flashers and running lights work --- still no brake lights !!!!
A question I have put on a new brake light system not part of old one --- simply wire, fuse, switch and 2 lights --- if I attach my new brake light system to my truck brake lights at the rear lights, will a feed go backwards and mess up anything ????

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by GeraldC. Reason: more info

seach 10 Sep 2013 20:02 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi again Gerald My guess re: brake lites is a ground issue. not familiar w/ these trucks rear lighting, but if you have 12V present on the correct terminal in the socket(?) new bulbs switch etc. but no brake lights, check the ground side of it.

good luck, PS I'm building an all-steel rocket Oven to use small wood fuel, I don't weld, but I'm poking along w/ it pretty well so far.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: forgot sumthin'

seach 13 Sep 2013 19:36 #9

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hello Ya'll :woohoo: :woohoo:
PCV re-route done between the rains if you look at pictures #2 is line from right valve cover to air intake has no PCV valve so drilled a hole in the plastic pipe and inserted a barb glued in have used this glue for lots of wet jobs, does a good job. On left side new line from PCV valve to new barb good tight fit, Put a cap on the intake part from old PCV valve line. Does not look like a barb on intake but could not see anything that could move so just capped it.
Just using RPM on dash normal idle has been 800 to 900 now first run was 500 to 600, will see how it acts in a few days.
Still no 2 nd gasket at parts house will look somewhere else soon.
I am not liking using the plastic pipe so when the Groove and other changes are in place and working I will build a new copper pipe for those intake air pipes

DO NOT USE THIS on these plastic parts it has not held

5RightSidenoPCVnewbarbgluedin.JPG

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: by GeraldC. Reason: more info

seach 13 Sep 2013 19:47 #10

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
can someone enlighten me Please -- in this picture the MAP sensor is before the PCV tap in the air line looks to be a long ways off. Is it normal to have MAP so far from the throttle body ??

This message has an attachment image.

seach 13 Sep 2013 20:00 #11

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
TracyG just a quick reply building the rocket stove with no welding may look into flared or bell end pipes. These type of pipe ends also include a lot of fittings with bell or flared ends and jointing clamps comes in many sizes and 90* elbows some will go inside of others sch 40, 80 or 120 wall thickness is the thing. If a joint is a problem use fire clay no regular cement. Can also use fire brick for fire box if needed.
just some ideas -- good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

seach 13 Sep 2013 23:59 #12

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi again Gerald, your PCV re-route looks good thanks for the great pics. RPM drop indicates to me it is effective, any change in driveability?

That is I think the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) in your air inlet duct not the MAP. normal for it to be there that's factory.

Thanks for advice about rocket stoves! :) I've already done 8 or 9 of those, currently have 3 of 'em. what I'm making now is a rocket Oven made from a big steel can and 2 steel barrels w/ other details. I could show pics if anyone likes when it's done. Rocket stoves are easy, this oven is more involved. Had to scratch hard to figure out/find parts, nobody is making these like this one except one chap in England who inspired me. Local metal scrap yards won't sell anything, only buy, so it's harder to source things, but I think I have it about licked now.

Anyhow Gerald you're on the right track so far, thanks for info about the Rockets, Great pics, keep at it and let us know how it goes! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV